Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 217 of 586
25 December 2012 at 11:05am | IP Logged 
@Brun Ugle: That has been suggested, and may seem the natural choice, but personally I would prefer that
our "symbols" - name, motto, picture, song - whatever we decide - show the diversity of Russian culture.
Therefore I am also a little hesitant to the Soviet national hymn. It is powerful music, but Russia has offered
some of the most beautiful music ever written, and I would love to see some of that beauty and diversity
reflected in our choice of symbols. But I am only one voice among 15, so if a majority would prefer to stream
line it, I have no problems with that.

Still open for more suggestions, though:-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 218 of 586
25 December 2012 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Therefore I am also a little hesitant to the Soviet national hymn. It is powerful music,
but Russia has offered some of the most beautiful music ever written, and I would love to
see some of that beauty and diversity reflected in our choice of symbols.

The song must be encouraging, so pure beauty is probably less important than power.
There are two versions of the anthem: the war version (1943 it's more patriotic) and the
Brezhnev's version, which is more communist.

Edited by Марк on 25 December 2012 at 11:31am

espejismo
Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 4839 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 219 of 586
25 December 2012 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
Here's a fun little space-themed holiday song.

It was recorded on the New Year's eve in 1965. It captures the cosmonaut spirit of the age; you can see Yuri Gagarin in the audience. :)

Лариса Мондрус--Твист с космонавтами (Twist with the Cosmonauts) (Of course there's a twist behind Larisa's seemingly successful singing career in the Soviet Union. Soon she began to refuse to perform songs with the pre-approved, idelogically correct content, got in trouble with the government, emigrated in the 1970s, and was labeled a traitor. But she sure had a pretty voice!)

Good luck everyone!

Edited by espejismo on 25 December 2012 at 11:52am

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4844 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 220 of 586
25 December 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2jnX2y30DE
The first version was translated into English.

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5468 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 221 of 586
26 December 2012 at 9:00am | IP Logged 
Merry Christmas guys! Hope you all got lots of money to spend on Russian language resources! :D have a great holiday and even better New Year.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 222 of 586
27 December 2012 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
Why would I need to spend money when I talk to people in Russian daily? :)

Toffeeliz
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5468 days ago

116 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin

Message 223 of 586
28 December 2012 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
So long as you enjoy yourself it doesn't matter :P

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 224 of 586
29 December 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
Ok, guys, time to get ready and start getting serious! Can those of you who do not find a link to your log on the first page here either post a link to their new log or to their renamed log, here in this thread as soon as possible so that I can add your logs to the first page?

And if there is anyone who has still not made his/her introduction - we are all eagerly waiting :-)

In order for us to actually talk about the reason we are all on this team - Russian studies - I would suggest that we introduce a new feature: MY (INTRODUCE NAME) RUSSIAN DISCOVERY OF THE DAY.

Now obviously, we are not talking about the discovery of a new case, or of features in Russian hitherto unknown to man. We are talking small baby steps - a new letter or a greeting which sounds funny for the beginners, a grammar point you have always wondered about for the intermediate ones,a word that is a loan word from a Western language that you find amusing for the advanced student, a Russian word that you simply find cool or a verb which can be used for several different things. The point of it is to just share what you are dealing with right now.

The really neat thing about this, is that it is equally useful for the absolute beginner, as for the advanced users, and it will help the rest of us remember a certain feature if we have discussed it in this thread.

Now I know LanguageSponge is working on this very cool list of challenges, that I am really excited about, but what I am proposing is more of a low level, low intensity every day thing that you can share with the rest of us whenever you find something that catches your attention. And of course if you have misunderstood something that you present as your discovery of the day completely, someone will come and set you straight faster than Lucky Luke can draw his gun :-)

CRISTINA'S 1ST RUSSIAN DISCOVERY OF THE DAY : What to do with the feminine men...

For some reason I could never remember what to do with the Russian words which are feminine words, but designate men. Which I by the way find puzzling, that such a masculine language as Russian should have several men in feminine, but since in my native language both woman and girl are masculine words (kvinnen, piken), and that they in German are neutral words,(das Weib, das Mädchen) I guess I should not be surprised.

Anyway, I am talking about words like мужчина (man), пaпa (daddy), дядя (uncle), дедушка (grandfather) and Hикита (the male name Nikita). I remembered that one thing was in feminine and one is masculine but was the adjectives in masculine and the nouns in feminine or the other way round? - I could not remember. So I decided it was time to find out properly.

So the rule is quite simple - the noun which has the feminine form stays feminine, but in order not to castrate the poor guys totally, the adjectives and pronouns are made masculine.

зто мой дедушка (This is my grandfather) My in masculine form, grandfather in feminine form.

зто мaшинa моего дедушки (This car is my grandfather's) The expression "my grandfather's" is in genitive, and the noun follows the feminine form and the pronoun the masculine form).

See: Piece of cake :-)

Oh, and this exercise is not limited to the current members of team MIR. If anyone from the potential second Russian team or any free lancers who study Russian would like to chip in, they are more than welcome to!

Edit: Language Sponge alerted me to the fact that das Weib has negative connotations in German. A more common and more polite word is of course die Frau, but that did not fit in with the point I was making :-) Thanks to LanguageSponge for pointing it out to me - I am always eager to learn new things. And on that note I should perhaps add that "piken" is a quite conservative word which is less common than "jenta" in Norwegian.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 29 December 2012 at 10:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 586 messages over 74 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version