Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 81 of 231
21 December 2012 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
As a b? Can you give examples? V sometimes goes to f at the end of a word (кровь),
Ботвинников), but I cannot for the life of me think of a situation where a v is
pronounced as a b in Russian.

No, I do not remember where I saw it. It had something to do with the period in which a word was introduced into Russian and the result that had on whether it ended up being pronounced with a v or a b in Russian. I'll get back to you when I find it again :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 82 of 231
22 December 2012 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

A funny thing is that they use the definite article in front of given names – funny to me because we have the same feature in certain Norwegian dialects (Sitter her på trappa, venter på a Marta/ N’Rune ville itte gjera det). Aloysius, do you have that in Swedish as well? I have heard it dialectically also used in Andalucia, in Spain on very rare occasions, but never ever as part of the standard language.
The minimal use of personal pronouns is like is Spanish, so that is pretty familiar, and the freedom of word order seems to resemble Russian. What I have never seen in any language though is an ι without the dot (i). Does anyone know the origin or reason for that?

In European Portuguese the article is used in front of names, unless it is a very formal context. Although not quite the same, they are also used with senhor/senhora to create the formal second person. However they are dropped when addressing someone as senhor/a X.

For example
'Senhor Silva, o senhor sabe onde está o Pedro?'
Mr Silva, do you know where Pedro is?

The first senhor = Mr (no article), the second senhor (with article) = formal you, Pedro is used with the definite article o.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 83 of 231
22 December 2012 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
By the way you also use the articles with the demonstrative pronouns and possessive adjectives.

αυτό το βιβλίο this book
εκείνος ο άνθρωπος that man
Η μητέρα μου my mother (lit: the mother of me)
το βιβλίο σου your book (lit: the book of you)

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 

Message 84 of 231
22 December 2012 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
I've decided to make a list of Greek words that are similar to those in other languages familiar to fellow Spartans, to give the beginners a head start in building their vocabulary. Obviously I'm not including all the thousands of words that have come into European languages from Greek. But I thought it would be reassuring for you to know that there are some familiar cognates amongst the thousands of yet alien words you will be faced with. Hope you find it useful. If nothing else you can use the list to practice reading the alphabet.

η νύχτα night (apparently night in English used to be pronounced neekht)
γιατί why/because At first sight not an obvious cognate, however it is made up of the words για for and τι what, so is comparable to Spanish por qué/porque, Italian perchè etc
αντίο goodbye (not sure how commonly it is used)
εγώ I
το πρόβλημα problem (pronounced with a V not B. Notice the stress)
το Πάσχα Easter
τα Χριστούγεννα Christmas (maybe not a true cognate but since it's nearly Christmas. Notice it's plural)
το όνομα name (think of nominative)
Με λένε Πέτρο I am called Petros. (Not dissimilar to Spanish me llamo, however in terms of grammar more similar to the Russian Меня зовут they call me. One complication is that you use the VOCATIVE case in this structure. In practice this usually means removing the s from the masculine name. Πέτρος Πέτρο. This isn't the only way of giving your name)
το σαλόνι sitting room
το γραφείο office
η κουζίνα kitchen (not cousin)
το μπάνιο bathroom
κάνω μπάνιο I have a bath. (κάνω = I do, compare IT faccio il bagno. Btw Modern Greek doesn't have any infinitives. Verbs are cited in the first person singular)
το πάρκο park
ο τάπητας carpet (comp FR le tapis)
η κουρτίνα curtain
το κρεβάτι bed (comp RU кровать)
το τετράδιο exercise book (comp RU тетрадь)
ο φούρνος oven
το τραπέζι table (think of trapezium)
η πόρτα door
ο κλιματισμός air conditioning
το ασανσέρ lift (FR ascenseur)
το χολ hall(way)
το σκαλοπάτια stairs (think of IT le scale)
το γκαράζ garage
η πισίνα pool
ο πατέρας father (comp LAT pater)
η μητέρα mother (comp LAT mater)
ο θείος /η θεία uncle/aunt (comp SP el tío/la tía. ος is the typical masculine ending in Greek)
το θέατρο theatre (pronounced as English th in theatre, not t)
μου αρέσει η σοκολάτα I like chocolate (The 'cognate' here is the grammar rather than the word. μου αρέσει works exactly like SP me gusta/IT mi piace. ie x pleases me. Often shortened to μ'αρέσει)
μου αρέσουν οι μπανάνες I like bananas (compare SP me gustan IT mi piacciono. Often shortened to μ'αρέσουν)
το μαγαζί shop (FR le magasin)
το περιοδικό magazine (unlike SP el periódico it doesn't mean newspaper)
το κέντρο centre (soft c becomes k in Greek)
το πορτοφόλι wallet (FR le portefeuille)
πόσο κοστίζει; How much does it cost?
το μπουκάλι bottle
το πακέτο packet
το πουκάμισο shirt (One of my favourite words)
το παντελόνι trousers/pants
το σανδάλι sandal
η μπλούζα blouse
το κοστούμι suit (FR le costume)
το παλτό coat (RU пальто, orig FR)
το γάντι glove (FR le gant)
η κάλτσα sock (IT la calza stocking)
το καπέλο hat (IT il capello)
το πουλόβερ jumper
η γραβάτα tie
το πιάτο plate/dish
το ζάχαρη sugar (comp RU сахар)
το βούτυρο butter
το ρύζι rice
το κοτόπουλο chicken (not a cognate, just one of my favourite words)
το φρούτο fruit
η σαλάτα salad
η πατάτα potato
το καρότο carrot
το μήλο apple (comp IT la mela)
το πορτοκαλί orange (fruit) (supposedly word is based on the word Portugal. Arabic, Persian and other languages also use this cognate)
το λεμόνι lemon
η μπανάνα banana
το κεράσι cérise (comp FR cérise, soft c always becomes k in Greek)
ο ανανάς pineapple
η φράουλα strawberry (comp IT la fragola)
η μπίρα beer
η γάτα cat
η ώρα hour
τι ώρα είναι; What time is it? (The rules for telling the time are almost identical as in Spanish.)
κάνει κρύο it's cold (very similar to SP, κάνει = hace, frío = κρύο replace f with k!)
κάνει ζεστή it's hot (think of zest, nothing to do with hot, but easy to remember when you know κάνει κρύο )
το τρένο train
το αεροπλάνο plane
η παραλία beach (fairly similar to SP la playa)
κάνω ηλιοθεραπεία I do sun therapy! ie I sunbathe. (Great phrase) (το ηλίο = sun, think of helium. κάνω is like faire/hacer/fare in that it's used with lots of nouns to create verbs)
κάνω ντους I shower (another of those κάνω phrases)
η Ιταλία Italy
η Γαλλία France (comp Gaul)
η Ισπανία Spain
η Γερμανία Germany
η ιστορία history
CAUTION Notice that the stress in Greek in this last group of words is different than in the Spanish and Italian equivalents. η ιταΛΙα iTALia
Well, that's already a very long list. I'll add to it another time maybe. Hopefully I haven't made any mistakes.

Edited by stelingo on 22 December 2012 at 4:14am

5 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 85 of 231
22 December 2012 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
What a great list, stelingo! Thank you for that.

It's always a pleasant surprise to find a Greek word that is similar to a word in another
language I know.

I'll just add this one to the list:

κουνιάδος which is a husband's brother (but not a sister's husband!)
κουνιάδα = husband's sister
Similar to the Spanish "cuñado"

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5939 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 86 of 231
22 December 2012 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
I just want to make a couple notes on some of the words in stelingo's list.

stelingo wrote:
αντίο goodbye (not sure how commonly it is used)

Not very common at all. You do hear it sometimes, but people generally stick with γεια (σου/σας) and τα λέμε.

stelingo wrote:
το πορτοκαλί orange (fruit) (supposedly word is based on the word Portugal. Arabic, Persian and other languages also use this cognate)

This was the only mistake I noticed in the list, so be careful with this one. The word for orange, the fruit, is actually πορτοκάλι (note the stress). What you wrote is the neuter singular of the adjective πορτοκαλής, which means the color orange.

stelingo wrote:
η μπίρα beer

Another thing to be careful of, or at least to be aware of, when studying Greek is that the language has undergone a few spelling reforms in the past decades and some words have been simplified. I originally studied the older orthography, so this word stood out to me at first as incorrect, because it used to be spelled as μπύρα. Similarly, αυγό (egg) is now spelled as αβγό, and so forth.

Edited by ellasevia on 22 December 2012 at 1:19pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 87 of 231
22 December 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Have I mentioned that I love you guys, and being on the Greek team? :-)

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 88 of 231
22 December 2012 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
A funny thing is that they use the definite article in front of given names – funny to me because we have the same feature in certain Norwegian dialects (Sitter her på trappa, venter på a Marta/ N’Rune ville itte gjera det). Aloysius, do you have that in Swedish as well? I have heard it dialectically also used in Andalucia, in Spain on very rare occasions, but never ever as part of the standard language.
I think it was much more common a century ago, old(er) books, especially with dialog from "country folk" talk a lot about "la Marta", "el Juancito", etc. but even today i don't think it's all that uncommon to hear something like "Ha llamado hoy la Mari para decir...". At least it doesn't sound that weird to me. I also think it's still common practice in Portuguese as well as Català (and probably other Iberian languages, too). On a side note, is there a Catalan team this year?

Quote:
The minimal use of personal pronouns is like is Spanish, so that is pretty familiar, and the freedom of word order seems to resemble Russian. What I have never seen in any language though is an ι without the dot (i). Does anyone know the origin or reason for that?
I don't have an answer, but Turkish also has an "undotted" i. Actually, it has both the dotted and undotted i.

Ogrim wrote:
More uncertain about the similarity with Russian, although I have noticed that I need to take care not to let the vowel reduction rules in Russian influence my pronunication in Greek!
I also find it a bit weird how non-stressed vowels retain their sound. I have to force myself to pronounce each "o" as an actual "o" ;)

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version