Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 153 of 231
10 January 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

Then I have a question to the advanced or native speakers: If in a Greek text you quote something in another language, e.g. English, would you still use the Greek alphabet rather than the Latin? How would you write "Yes we can" in Greek script: Ιέσ υι καν?

Absolutely not. A quote is in the greek language and/or the original phrase in the native language. Unless it is   a specific book about learning that foreign language, and they have to show you how   something is pronounced.
So if you must absolutely show how to pronounce it, and you must write it in greek script it would be
Γιες γουί καν. Yes we can.

But how will that help you learn greek? Maybe it will confuse you more?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 154 of 231
10 January 2013 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Thank you for a quick answer renaissancemedi. Indeed, it is confusing, so although I highly appreciate the Langenscheidt course, I think they made a mistake with this particular German-Greek mix. I don't think there are other cases of this in the course, thankfully.

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 155 of 231
10 January 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
It has been quiet here for a few days now, so I thought I would like to
share a peculiar experience I had with the Langenscheidt Griechisch mit System. in the
second lesson I came over the following: ζι καν κάιν γκρίχισ.

I could not find any of these words in the vocabulary list and really could not make
any sense of it, until I listend again to the recording and then it struck me - it's
German! He is saying "Sie kann kein Grichisch". The words are spoken by a Mr. Pavlidis
in a conversation with the German student Martin.

I hope there won't be too many cases like this in the book, it is very confusing.

Then I have a question to the advanced or native speakers: If in a Greek text you quote
something in another language, e.g. English, would you still use the Greek alphabet
rather than the Latin? How would you write "Yes we can" in Greek script: Ιέσ υι
καν?

By the way, I look forward to see the challenges. Jack, I know from another thread that
you had a tough journy back to China, but I hope you will soon provide your list of
challenges to Team Sparta.

The challenges are coming, I'm just having a tough time juggling work, jetlag and now a
difficult family situation. I'll post them as soon as I can.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 156 of 231
10 January 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Thank you Jack. Take your time, you have my full understanding. I also have a busy time at work, and the last few days I've spent the little time I have for languages on Russian.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 157 of 231
10 January 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Thank you Jack. Take your time, you have my full understanding. I also have a busy time at work, and the last few days I've spent the little time I have for languages on Russian.

I'm fine with waiting a bit with the Greek challenges. I am so busy doing the Russian ones - that I can do - that I am in no hurry to pass on to the Greek ones which I could probably not do. :-)

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 158 of 231
10 January 2013 at 2:35pm | IP Logged 
Well some of us here aren't part of the Russian team and so don't have any challenges to
work on, so I will beat the rest of my jet-lag and do what I can to deal with this family
situation. In the meantime can I ask those of you with a reasonable level in Greek to
write something in Greek as I don't want to disappoint by pitching the challenges too high
or too low. Perhaps you could write as detailed an introduction or something as you can.
Just a suggestion.

Thanks,

Jack

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 159 of 231
10 January 2013 at 6:46pm | IP Logged 
Jack: What timing! I was just debating if I should post a little introduction to myself that I wrote in Greek the other day. It is now on my log.

I'm looking forward to a challenge. I was starting to get tired of the passivity of Assimil and felt I needed to start producing in the language.

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 160 of 231
11 January 2013 at 12:54am | IP Logged 
I've also posted an intro of myself in Greek here

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version