Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 25 of 231
17 December 2012 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
Many thanks for the excellent response, LanguageSponge. In fact, all of your messages
have been thorough and thoughtful. I think you would make an excellent leader of our
little team!
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 26 of 231
17 December 2012 at 8:47am | IP Logged 
Back from a PC-free weekend. Good to see you have been active during my absence.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
@ Ogrim: Do you realise that we are almost the same age, we are the same nationality and have almost the exact same languages! If you hadn't been male I would have thought you were me:-)

Cristina, I noticed that myself a while ago readng your posts. Quite a coincidence, unless of course you are my female alter ego who decided to remain in Norway while the male version went abroad:)

I wholeheartedly support the nomination of Languagesponge as our Team leader. We need a young and energetic Spartan to encourage the troops to move forward and lead us towards our Attic goal.

A warm welcome from me as well to embici and Saga. I look forward to sharing the learning experience with you two and I am sure you can be a good support to us total beginners.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 231
17 December 2012 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
Great! It looks like we have elected a leader - Language Sponge, do you want to notify Brun Ugle yourself?

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 28 of 231
17 December 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
I will notify Brun Ugle. Thanks for the nominations everybody :) I look forward to
leading Team Sparta to language victory :D

Saga
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4161 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Greek

Message 29 of 231
17 December 2012 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
I may be a bit late for the vote, but based on all the posts I've read so far, I too
think, LanguageSponge is an excellent choice for the position of Team leader :)

Ogrim, thanks for your welcome. I'm basically a beginner in Greek, too, so I'm not sure,
how much of a support I can be. But I'll try my best, even if it's only moral support ^^

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 30 of 231
17 December 2012 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Saga, we should all support each other. That is what we are here for. You seem to have done a bit more so far than I have, and any experience you can share is welcome. And if I can contribute with any advice or tips, I will of course do so.

I am very pleased to have selected a small team for my first team TAC. I see there are some heated exchanges on the registration thread and elsewhere about the number of participants, and as far as I'm concerned, I prefer to interact with a few dedicated people rather than a group of 15-20 persones at the same time.

I have made a quick attempt to search for useful internet resources for Greek, but I have not found a lot so far, at least not for beginners. This week is pretty crazy, trying to tie up loose knots at work and getting ready for Christmas and going to Norway for the holidays, so my time is pretty limited (I spent an hour queuing to get my daughter her present this afternoon). Once in Norway for the holidays I will see if I can spend a bit more time doing research.

LanguageSponge, it is great that you will be our team leader. A practical point: as for adding resources as we find them, maybe you could use your first or second post for that by editing it, adding the info at the end. I'm not very tech savy, but that seems to be a practical way of going about it, ensuring that the info is on the first page of the thread. Of course we can all post information here, but maybe it would be good if we also sent a PM to our team leader so he can put it in one place.

If we are to use Assimil, I think it would be good if we all could tell what version we will be using. I'll go to my local language bookstore this week (if I have the time), I assume they have the latest French edition. Hopefully the English or German versions will be the same.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6037 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 31 of 231
17 December 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:

I have made a quick attempt to search for useful internet resources for Greek, but I have not found a lot so far, at
least not for beginners.

I don't believe anyone here has mentioned Greek by Radio yet. I
remember appreciating it when I last time had a go at learning Greek a couple of years ago. It's useful because it has
audio and transcripts and progresses in a sensible way. You can log in as Guest and have a look around before you
decide whether or not to register. It's free of charge, though.

I haven't tried GreekPod but it's a good
sign that Sprachprofi (Judith) is on the team.

//aloysius

Saga
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4161 days ago

20 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Greek

Message 32 of 231
17 December 2012 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Of course, I mean to give support in whatever way I can :) It's just the first time I'm
doing something like the TAC and I have never before worked together with other people
who learn a language - not counting the classroom setting in school. I'm still a bit
unsure of how things are going to evolve, that's all ^^

As for the size of our team, I'm very pleased, too, that it isn't too big. Also, the
combination of old and new members as well as the combination of our languages might
turn out to be a strong point of this team.

I'm using the Assimil Griechisch ohne Mühe course from 2007, the German version
obviously. I've studied until lesson 54 before, but since I haven't used it in some
time, I've forgotten quite a lot of it. That means, I'd be either starting anew or
trying to continue after a little (or rather: big) revision.

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version