CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 161 of 231
12 January 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Καλό Σαββατοκύριακο σε όλους.

Μπράβο for your excellent intro, stelingo.

1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 162 of 231
16 January 2013 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
embici and stelingo, good job on your introductions. I managed to get some meaning out of it (I think), but it will be a while before I can do the same.

I also have a couple of questions, probably for renessaincemedi: I have managed to do a couple of lessons more in Assimil, and there are always some questions that remain unanswered (this is one of the things I do not like about this course, the explanations are not really covering everything). First question: In lesson six they introduce plural of nouns, and they give the following sentences:

Ο άνθροπος είναι εδώ, τον βλέπω. Βλέπω τον άνθροπο.
Οι άνθροποι είναι εδώ, τους βλέπω.Βλέπω τους ανθρόπους.

So apparently the accent changes place in the accusative plural of a masculine noun. However, this does not seem to happen in the other examples (which are in feminine and neuter). Is there a general rule or does it have to do with the fact that in nominative, the accent is on the ante-penultimate syllable?

Second question: In a sentence in the same lesson they use the word κγαρσόν(ι). I really have two questions to this. Fristly, why the parenthesis, is it optional whether to pronounce the last vowel? Secondly, do you really use this word in Greek for waiter? Obviously it comes from French "garçon", but here in France I never hear this word used nowadays. People talk about "serviteurs" and "servitrices", and if you call for them, you will say Monsieur or Madame. I believe many waiters would think you were rude and condescending if you called them "garçon".

Finally a general question related to this thread. I was not sure whether to post the above here or in my log, so I want to know what the view of the Team leader and other members is. Is it useful if we put questions like these in the Team blog, or should we rather use our personal logs for that?

Edited by Ogrim on 16 January 2013 at 3:13pm

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 163 of 231
16 January 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
embici and stelingo, good job on your introductions. I managed to get some meaning out of it (I think), but it will be a while before I can do the same.

I also have a couple of questions, probably for renessaincemedi: I have managed to do a couple of lessons more in Assimil, and there are always some questions that remain unanswered (this is one of the things I do not like about this course, the explanations are not really covering everything). First question: In lesson six they introduce plural of nouns, and they give the following sentences:

Ο άνθροπος είναι εδώ, τον βλέπω. Βλέπω τον άνθροπο.
Οι άνθροποι είναι εδώ, τους βλέπω.Βλέπω τους ανθρόπους.

So apparently the accent changes place in the accusative plural of a masculine noun. However, this does not seem to happen in the other examples (which are in feminine and neuter). Is there a general rule or does it have to do with the fact that in nominative, the accent is on the ante-penultimate syllable?

Second question: In a sentence in the same lesson they use the word κγαρσόν(ι). I really have two questions to this. Fristly, why the parenthesis, is it optional whether to pronounce the last vowel? Secondly, do you really use this word in Greek for waiter? Obviously it comes from French "garçon", but here in France I never hear this word used nowadays. People talk about "serviteurs" and "servitrices", and if you call for them, you will say Monsieur or Madame. I believe many waiters would think you were rude and condescending if you called them "garçon".

Finally a general question related to this thread. I was not sure whether to post the above here or in my log, so I want to know what the view of the Team leader and other members is. Is it useful if we put questions like these in the Team blog, or should we rather use our personal logs for that?

Ο άνθρωπος είναι εδώ, τον βλέπω. Βλέπω τον άνθρωπο.
Οι άνθρωποι είναι εδώ, τους βλέπω.Βλέπω τους ανθρώπους.

The stress position has to do with the last syllable. There is this rule

Όταν η λήγουσα είναι μακρά, η προπαραλήγουσα δεν τονίζεται. That is: when the last syllable is long, the third syllable from last (ante-penultimate ? ) does not take a stress. The diphthong ου is long. So the stress goes to the next syllable. You should find the rules for when vowels/diphthongs are long or short. Some are fixed, some can be both according to their position. I know it sounds confusing, but is just grammar. Or you can just learn the assimil lessons without asking too much, but I can tell you I am glad you asked.

Yes, we do use that word, mainly for men waiters. It is not insulting but it is not very classy. Better raise your hand a bit to get the waiter's attention, and say: check please! or: here please! Oh, the last -ι is a dreadfull addition of a greek ending syllable to a french word. I never use it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 164 of 231
16 January 2013 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the explanation rennaissancemedi. I am a curious person who likes to ask the question "why?", so I am afraid I won't be able to just do assimil without asking.

I just ordered the book "Greek, an Essential Grammar" and look forward to receiving it so I can try to find answers there as well.

I'll avoid the garçon word in Greek as well then, thanks.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 165 of 231
16 January 2013 at 3:47pm | IP Logged 
I don't know that book, but good luck with your struggle with grammar. Just so you feel better should you find it difficult in the future, there are Greeks who make those mistakes, who have to (or should!) open a grammar book from time to time. There is also the occasional argument on grammar issues. I am happy to answer questions: it makes me remember grammar rules as well :)

Edited by renaissancemedi on 16 January 2013 at 4:04pm

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 166 of 231
16 January 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
I didn't know the rule about long vowels and not stressing the antepenultimate syllable. Very useful. Thanks rennaissancemedi.

Btw waiter/waitress in Fremch is serveur/serveuse is it not?

Edited by stelingo on 16 January 2013 at 7:04pm

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 167 of 231
17 January 2013 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

Ogrim, I think it'd be really good for you to post those sorts of questions on the Team Thread, to keep it active, and I think it's great to have general grammatical issues like this discussed out in the open. I will be back more often after my birthday on Sunday. I'm still trying to get used to an increased work schedule and a family problem.

Good luck with the grammar issue. I don't know what it is but wrong stress is one of the things that really irks me for some reason, in any language.

Jack

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 

Message 168 of 231
17 January 2013 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
stelingo wrote:
I didn't know the rule about long vowels and not stressing the antepenultimate syllable. Very useful. Thanks rennaissancemedi.

Btw waiter/waitress in Fremch is serveur/serveuse is it not?

You are absolutely right, it should be serveur. The word serviteur exists as well, but means "servant". Don't know what happened there, some sort of Freudian slip maybe.

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version