Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4075 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English, Catalan, French
Studies: Greek, German, Dutch

Message 201 of 231
24 March 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
This phrase is in one of my Greek readers: "Είναι συνέχεια σ'ένα blog μαγειρικής έθνικ."

What sense does it make to use a Greek word like έθνικ but ending as a foreign word? Is it a loanword?
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 202 of 231
25 March 2013 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
It is very widely used as a term, meaning exactly what it means in English. If you use the original greek word, εθνικός, it means "national", as in national team.

A word that was originally greek, then was used by a foreign language and then we took it back from the FL, is called αντιδάνειο in grammar. I googled it and found this English term: repatriated loans (I don't know if it's correct though).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4075 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 

Message 203 of 231
26 March 2013 at 6:23pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your help.

Today a Greek native told me that άδεια meaning empty is not pronounced the same as άδεια meaning license. Is
this possible? I thought pronunciation of Greek was unambiguously determined by spelling! It would be very bad
news for me if this is true...

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 204 of 231
27 March 2013 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Your friend is right. The empty meaning is pronounced as if the -δει- syllable was short, and the licence/permission is pronounced normally (long). I have no idea why, but even if you pronounce them the same it's ok, people get the meaning from the rest of the phrase.

Another example is this: γγ

Άγγελος pronounced hard g or ng on occasion
Συγγνώμη pronounced γ
Εγγενής pronounced kind of like νγ

I heard Μπαμπινιωτης, in an interview somewhere who said that the only reason for those differences in pronounciation is usage and habit.

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4075 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 

Message 205 of 231
29 March 2013 at 5:41pm | IP Logged 
Ah, yes, actually I already knew about the different pronunciations of γγ, but I thought it depended on the speaker
or maybe the region of Greece rather than on the word. So it depends on the word then? Or maybe on both?

And I think also ντ can have different pronunciations, either just a plosive "d", or a "n" followed by a plosive "d". I
once heard a Greek order a φρέντο εσπρέσσο pronouncing a strong "n" in φρέντο, which it's not the way the Italian
word is pronounced, and also not how other Greeks say it...

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 206 of 231
30 March 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Gomorritis wrote:
Ah, yes, actually I already knew about the different pronunciations
of γγ, but I thought it depended on the speaker or maybe the region of Greece rather
than on the word. So it depends on the word then? Or maybe on both?

I heard that the further you get from Athens it tends to be pronounced like a hard g
and in Athens more like an ng. I'd like to hear what our native Greek-speaking friends
here have to say.

I've had a number of different Greek tutors via Skype lately and sometimes they
contradict each other. For example, one told me I should never say εννιά only εννέα
(nine). Another told me that εννέα is not really used at all so I should say εννιά.

I've always found it interesting how foreign words are used in different languages. I
love the way some words sound when they are Greekified.

Two that caught my attention lately were: τιρμπουσό and σεζ-λόνγκ.

Edit: small typo.

Edited by embici on 02 April 2013 at 3:58am

Gomorritis
Tetraglot
Groupie
Netherlands
Joined 4075 days ago

91 posts - 157 votes 

Message 207 of 231
05 April 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
I read "Διακοπές στη Σαντορίνη" twice already. I thought it was an enjoyable story, and not very hard to read.
Now I'm reading "Το μοντέλο που ήξερε πολλά", which is a bit harder, even though both books are suposed to
be επίπεδο 3. It might have as much as 7-8 unknown words in every page, in comparisson to 3-4 in "Διακοπές
στη Σαντορίνη".

Also, I recorded myself reading a chapter of the book, hehe. It sounded much better to me when I was reading it
than when I listened to my own recording. I think it all sounds too Spanish! I probably also read it way too fast,
probably I should read slower for now so I can better focus in the pronunciation. Truth is that I got excited lately
with my reading fluency, because one month ago I couldn't even read Greek at half that speed. I am much more
used to the Greek alphabet now.

https://soundcloud.com/gomorrite/ho3gkinzyjln

By the way, do you people listen to Greek music? Maybe we could create a thread to share Greek music if anyone
is interested?

Edited by Gomorritis on 09 April 2013 at 5:19pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 208 of 231
06 April 2013 at 10:23pm | IP Logged 
A music thread sounds like a great idea, Gomorritis. I listen to internet radio from
Greece quite often. I get a nice feeling of satisfaction when I can make out the words.
For the longest time lyrics just seemed totally incomprehensible except for those words
that appear in every song: σ'αγαπώ. :)

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version