Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 105 of 231
28 December 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
Ευχαριστώ για το καλωσόρισμα, thanks for the welcome!

Body language can be a foreign language indeed.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 28 December 2012 at 10:58am

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5662 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 106 of 231
28 December 2012 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like what we do (at least in the states...) when we see someone on the streets and want to say hello without speaking or simply acknowledge their presence. But there's no tss sound, just lifting the head a bit. I think i'll have to see it firsthand before i really understand, though :P

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 107 of 231
28 December 2012 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:

If I may say something on this one. I don't know about Turkey, but in Greece we do nod
to say yes. We throw our head back to say no, usually lifting the eyebrows and saying
"ts" at the same time. Sounds weird when described!

I love your thread, sorry for the intrusion!

I've seen this in Greece and Turkey, and I've noticed other people from Central Asia
and the Middle East do this.

The shaking the head from side to side for yes, is Bulgarian. At least, that's what a
Bulgarian told me.

aloysius
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6037 days ago

226 posts - 291 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: French, Greek, Italian, Russian

Message 108 of 231
31 December 2012 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Hail thee mighty Spartans!

Greek wasn't really my top priority for 2013, but then Team Sparta came along and I couldn't resist the invitation
and temptation. So here I am ready to return to this amazing language. Although I've had a go with it once or twice
before I'm certainly a beginner, since whatever I learnt have long since been forgotten and I never got very far
anyway. Well, I still remember the alphabet, though.

There are so many good reasons why I want to learn Greek. Although this time I will start out with the modern
variety it's still intertwined with its ancient predecessor and the fantastically rich cultural heritage that comes along
with it. Though my visits to Greece are limited to two holiday trips they definitely made me want to go back, and
being able to communicate not only in English and German would be so great! And it's interesting to learn an Indo-
European language not directly related to the others I know – familiar and different at the same time. And then of
course Greek is the foundation for the formation of so many concepts in science and the humanities.

So really looking forward to this a lot! Tomorrow I will start over from scratch with Assimil.

Here's my new log.

//aloysius
2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 109 of 231
31 December 2012 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
aloysius wrote:

There are so many good reasons why I want to learn Greek. Although this time I will start out with the modern
variety it's still intertwined with its ancient predecessor and the fantastically rich cultural heritage that comes along
with it.   

//aloysius

I am so happy to hear you say that. I can't get it in my head that ancient and modern greek are considered two seperate languages. I am not at all a bilingual, you see. If you treat the greek language as one and the same, you will be greatly rewarded, as the roots of the words haven't changed at all since homeric times. Sure the styles change over the centuries, but if you really learn words and their etymology you'll recognise more and more in the texts of all eras. I am not saying that you don't need special studies for reading the attic form because you do, I am just saying that modern greek and ancient greek is the same language. Modern greek is not simpler, as I have seen written. Maybe in the future we'll use the infinitive again, maybe something else, maybe not. Everything is still contained in the language, enriched over the centuries. Maybe we have been spoiled by the amazing ancient writers, but modern things like Seferis's essays, δοκιμές he called them, are equally great.

Think about shakespearean and modern English (all over the world). Isn't it the same language?

I promise I will never write anything like that again, but I just had to say it. From now on only grammar and spelling, I promise.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 110 of 231
31 December 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
renaissancemedi wrote:
aloysius wrote:

variety it's still intertwined with its ancient predecessor and the fantastically rich cultural heritage that comes
along
with it.   

//aloysius

I am so happy to hear you say that. I can't get it in my head that ancient and modern greek are considered
two seperate languages. I am not at all a bilingual, you see. If you treat the greek language as one and the
same, you will be greatly rewarded, as the roots of the words haven't changed at all since homeric times.
Sure the styles change over the centuries, but if you really learn words and their etymology you'll recognise
more and more in the texts of all eras. I am not saying that you don't need special studies for reading the
attic form because you do, I am just saying that modern greek and ancient greek is the same language.
Modern greek is not simpler, as I have seen written. Maybe in the future we'll use the infinitive again, maybe
something else, maybe not. Everything is still contained in the language, enriched over the centuries. Maybe
we have been spoiled by the amazing ancient writers, but modern things like Seferis's essays, δοκιμές he
called them, are equally great.

Think about shakespearean and modern English (all over the world). Isn't it the same language?

I promise I will never write anything like that again, but I just had to say it. From now on only grammar and
spelling, I promise.

You are welcome to make any comment at any time :-)

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5563 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 111 of 231
31 December 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
renaissancemedi wrote:
aloysius wrote:

There are so many good reasons why I want to learn Greek. Although this time I will
start out with the modern
variety it's still intertwined with its ancient predecessor and the fantastically rich
cultural heritage that comes
along
with it.   

//aloysius

I am so happy to hear you say that. I can't get it in my head that ancient and modern
greek are considered
two seperate languages. I am not at all a bilingual, you see. If you treat the greek
language as one and the
same, you will be greatly rewarded, as the roots of the words haven't changed at all
since homeric times.
Sure the styles change over the centuries, but if you really learn words and their
etymology you'll recognise
more and more in the texts of all eras. I am not saying that you don't need special
studies for reading the
attic form because you do, I am just saying that modern greek and ancient greek is the
same language.
Modern greek is not simpler, as I have seen written. Maybe in the future we'll use the
infinitive again, maybe
something else, maybe not. Everything is still contained in the language, enriched over
the centuries. Maybe
we have been spoiled by the amazing ancient writers, but modern things like Seferis's
essays, δοκιμές he
called them, are equally great.

Think about shakespearean and modern English (all over the world). Isn't it the same
language?

I promise I will never write anything like that again, but I just had to say it. From
now on only grammar and
spelling, I promise.

You are welcome to make any comment at any time :-)

Renaissancemedi, the smile on my face grew ever broader with every line of your last
post that I read, until the very last, and then it vanished. What you wrote above is
exactly the sort of thing that I personally am interested in. It was really interesting
to read about the opinions of a Greek about their own language as it has developed over
the centuries, and I am willing to bet you could have said more than what you did. And
please, tell us more if you want! This thread is not just for us of Team Sparta to
discuss our studies, it's for anyone who's interested in Greek to step forward and talk
about it. In my own opinion, this forum, although a wonderful place, is largely
dominated by a number of languages that we could all count on two hands and Greek,
sadly, is not one of those ten or so.

We were all very happy when Team Sparta was founded, just as those studying the Celtic
languages were when Team Lugus came into existence, because both teams' foundations
signified Greek and the Celtic languages gaining even just a little ground on the
dominant languages here. So we'd all welcome anything you wish to contribute towards
Team Sparta at all :)

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 31 December 2012 at 10:06pm

ancpem1
Groupie
United States
Joined 4185 days ago

56 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Greek, Latin, French

Message 112 of 231
01 January 2013 at 3:37am | IP Logged 
Is it too late to join this team? I plan to study Russian, and it would be helpful to know Greek.

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version