Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5629 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 137 of 231
03 January 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
I also join my capital letters to the lower case, following the example of whatever resource I used, I can't remember now. I would find it rather strange not to.
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 138 of 231
03 January 2013 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
I don't know of any peculiarities or different rules for the handwriting of left-handed people. I personally could never tell if the writer of a text is left-handed.

Cursive is used, that is handwriting   a bit different that the printed types. Surely the courses for the greek language teach those? In the links I gave in previous posts you can see cursive. That's why you see two forms for κ, etc. Children are still being taught the strokes for the correct handwriting, as is very natural when they learn how to write.   

What we miss now at schools, what I have been trying to find for you to see, is calligraphy. Joint handwriting with exercises and rules, like the picture I posted. I hope I haven't been the cause of confusion because I didn't get the terms right. I have always tried to write beautifully, that's why the subject interests me so much.

I will certainly try to find a good book on the subject, and scan it for you.

In addition to the previous links and picture, here is another pic. Do not consider it too elaborate. Just try to write for example your name, in different ways. Go for a beautiful script and do not be afraid it will be over the top, because it won't.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 03 January 2013 at 11:57pm

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 139 of 231
04 January 2013 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
I think I know what you are talking about renaissancemedi. How to write letters
beautifully, with as few strokes as possible is taught, but the rules about how letters
are joined together are non-existent, or no longer taught.

You see, here we are taught very specific rules about how letters are joined. If memory
serves, we are taught printing in grade one and handwriting (in the cursive, joined up
style) in a later grade. You can see an example of how we are taught to write here:
http://www.wallpowper.com/j-alphabet-how-to-write-a-cursive- image-search-results-
16679.html

I rarely print now; it's just so much quicker to write (cursive).

I've been trying to join letters in Greek to make my writing much quicker, but I can't
figure out how, for example, to join a letter to ρ or how to join χ to another letter.
I think that's where our frustration lies. It's the having to pick the pen up off the
paper mid-word.

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 140 of 231
04 January 2013 at 3:53am | IP Logged 
I'll just mention that when I lived in Mexico I had to print for people because almost no
one was familiar with cursive.

It's a dying art in many parts, but not for a few members of Team Spartan!

I love looking at those samples renaissancemedi. Thanks for sharing those. It's great to
get the insiders perspective. Some written letters vary quite a lot from the typewritten
form. Ι notice that the π and the ω sometimes look very similar.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 141 of 231
04 January 2013 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Thank you embici, that's what I meant!

Yes, the forms vary. When you get used to handwriting, you'll settle to your favourite form for each letter without even noticing.

The π and the ω may look similar, but you will not confuse them because that form of π has a big "loop" on top. You can make it bigger than the image sample.

Nobody handwrites in printed form. It looks unnatural, slow and ugly. I bet that's true for most alphabets, at least european ones.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4155 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 

Message 142 of 231
04 January 2013 at 8:01am | IP Logged 
embici wrote:

I've been trying to join letters in Greek to make my writing much quicker, but I can't
figure out how, for example, to join a letter to ρ or how to join χ to another letter.

I wrote down the word χρώμα, colour, joining the letters. The right tail of the χ continues upwards to form a loop for ρ, and ρ's vertical line goes up again, and then you form the ω, or any letter. Make any sense?

Or, from the upper right tail of the χ, you can write a line straight down, up again, small curve to form the ρ, then a small tail comes out of the circle to form the next letter. That is actually much more beautiful.

Edited by renaissancemedi on 04 January 2013 at 8:05am

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4436 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 143 of 231
04 January 2013 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
If one of the team challenges will be to produce a handwritten text in cursive, then I will fail miserably. My handwriting is awful, no matter which script we talk about. I have tried to produce text in cursive in Russian, but I can hardly understand myself what I have written! I guess I should work on it, but it is not the most motivating task when I study.

I guess the problem is that nowadays we type almost everything, whether it is on a PC, a tablet or a smartphone. I can go days without writing anything by hand.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5131 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 144 of 231
04 January 2013 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
If one of the team challenges will be to produce a handwritten text in cursive, then I will fail miserably. My handwriting is awful, no matter which script we talk about. I have tried to produce text in cursive in Russian, but I can hardly understand myself what I have written! I guess I should work on it, but it is not the most motivating task when I study.

I guess the problem is that nowadays we type almost everything, whether it is on a PC, a tablet or a smartphone. I can go days without writing anything by hand.

That makes two of us :-)

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version