Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5562 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 123 of 231
01 January 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Saga, ancpem1, I have added both of your logs to the list at the beginning of this thread.

To get the ball rolling a bit I decided a little while ago that I would compile a list of Little Challenges for us all along our Greek journey. Originally the only team I was going to be on was Team MIR, so I have completed the list for the Russian team first, and it will be posted in the Team MIR thread in the next day or two. I intend to do the same for Team Sparta and the Little Spartan Challenges should be ready in the next few days. I have written about 60 Little Challenges for the beginners in Team MIR and another 60 for the advanced ones, so I imagine it will be about the same number for Team Sparta too.

The intention of these Little Challenges is two-fold. Firstly it's to encourage us to actually use our languages in a controlled way that doesn't involve our coursebooks. Secondly, it's to forge stronger ties within the team and to encourage us to study together. I'll give more details once I've posted the lists. Hopefully it'll be of some use to us all.

Jack

Edited by LanguageSponge on 01 January 2013 at 10:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4406 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 124 of 231
01 January 2013 at 10:31pm | IP Logged 
A warm welcome to our new Spartans!

I feel like such a newby around here. Just when I was wondering how on earth I was
going to find my teammates' logs I came back here and saw that LanguageSponge has made
that easy for us. Wonderful!

I can't wait to see these challenges that LanguageSponge has in store for us.

I see so many of your are studying Russian I'm starting to think I should add that to
my "dabbling" list. I have two co-workers who speak it so I could practise it daily.
Silly me for not taking advantage of that fact.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5130 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 125 of 231
01 January 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
embici wrote:

I see so many of your are studying Russian I'm starting to think I should add that to
my "dabbling" list. I have two co-workers who speak it so I could practise it daily.
Silly me for not taking advantage of that fact.

Great idea! I suspect that there will be a lot of Russian floating around, so you might pick up some things just
because of that :-)

embici
Triglot
Joined 4406 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 126 of 231
01 January 2013 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Another resource for Greek is page=Greek">Foreign Service Instititute's Greek Basic Course

I am not using it (yet) as it's not exactly the Greek in use today but it's not quite
Katharevousa either.

embici
Triglot
Joined 4406 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 

Message 127 of 231
02 January 2013 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
One thing I have been struggling with now that I am in the active wave of Assimil's le
nouveau Grec is writing in Greek. I know that cursive has fallen out of fashion in many
parts of the world--including among Canadians under the age of 40 or so--but I find
printing painstakingly slow.

Many people tell me that Greek cursive hasn't been taught in any systematic fashion in
many years. If any Greeks join their letters it's probably in a way they've seen others
do it, or have learned themselves through trial and error.

Does anyone have a good source for Greek cursive so that I can avoid the trial and error
I've been going through for months?

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4154 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 128 of 231
02 January 2013 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
embici wrote:
One thing I have been struggling with now that I am in the active wave of Assimil's le
nouveau Grec is writing in Greek. I know that cursive has fallen out of fashion in many
parts of the world--including among Canadians under the age of 40 or so--but I find
printing painstakingly slow.

Many people tell me that Greek cursive hasn't been taught in any systematic fashion in
many years. If any Greeks join their letters it's probably in a way they've seen others
do it, or have learned themselves through trial and error.

Does anyone have a good source for Greek cursive so that I can avoid the trial and error
I've been going through for months?

Unfortunately I couldn't find much. Maybe these

http://www.foundalis.com/lan/hw/grkhandw.htm

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/pens/GreekChart.pdf

http://bibleinteract.com/education/hebrewandgreek.asp

It's true, nobody learns calligraphy, καλλιγραφία, beautiful writing, at school any more. You are only incouraged to write clearly so that your manuscript is readable and beautiful to look at. Trial and error is how you join letters, but you don't have to do it.
Maybe you should focus on the right strokes at first, and not worry about style. Usually the first manuscripts display beautifully formed individual letters, much like a child following the teacher's rules on handwriting. In time your hand will do the rest.

This discussion contains 231 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version