Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 25 of 312
05 February 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on finishing The Two Towers in Danish! Keep up the good work!

How is Assimil going, used at such breakneck pace? I always thought that in the second part of the course Assimil moves too fast even if you do just one lesson a day, that I can’t fathom the kind of stamina it takes to tackle it in chunks of 3-6 lessons. So I’m curious to know how you find it. Keep us posted.

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 26 of 312
05 February 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I actually planned to do 6 lessons every day, but the lessons became just too long, so I went down to 3 lessons done in about 30 minutes after I was halfway through. Also, I don't do the active wave (I might do it later, when I finished the passive wave for all lessons). Most of the grammar and vocabulary of the course is known to me from Norwegian, I just try to fill some blanks. The maximum per lesson I do is to first read the Danish text with Danish audio, then read the text again with the help of the German translation and at last I do the recorded exercise, which usually is no problem at all (if it were, I would redo the lesson). I finished 56 lessons of 64 (it's a rather short course), and so far there was nothing terribly difficult or unexpected. The audio recordings are unnaturally clear and too easy to be useful, but at least they inform you how to pronounce the unknown words, which isn't always obvious in Danish. Unfortunately there are lots of mistakes in this edition, especially many typos, but also some gender and plural mistakes in the glossary. No big deal for me because it isn't my first course, but for the intended target group that might be problematic. Without the mistakes and typos, it looks like a pretty good course for a beginner, if you have the stamina for those long lessons (I see them rather as an advantage, because they offer you more insight into discourse than short lessons).

Edited by daegga on 05 February 2013 at 8:31pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 27 of 312
08 February 2013 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Jeg har en følelse av at jeg sovnet mens jeg hørte på Ringenes herre 3 i går kveld. Jeg kan ikke huske hva som skjedde de siste 2 timene av den tiden jeg hørte på boken, så jeg skal høre på dem igjen.

Edited by daegga on 08 February 2013 at 2:05pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 28 of 312
14 February 2013 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Som skrevet på ling-8.com:

Eg prøva å skriva dette innlegget på nynorsk. Det er første gong eg gjer det, men spell-checker'n skal nok hjelpa meg (finnast det eigenleg eit norsk ord for 'spell-checker'?).
Eg har nettopp bladd igjennom profilane av nordmenn her på ling-8, og det ser ut som om dei fleste lærer japansk, iallfall dei mest aktive. Kvifor det, tenkjer eg da. Japansk er sikkert ikkje lett å læra, og det er ikkje til mykje nytte i Europa. Men det har blitt moderne å studera dette språket i dei siste år, kanskje på grunn av mangaer og animéer. Finnast det kanskje òg økonomiske grunnar til det? I Finland prøvast for eksempel å lokka japanske turistar til den finske naturen, og der finnast kanskje mange pengar å tena. I Noreg manglar det ikkje på naturen heller.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 29 of 312
14 February 2013 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
Niels Hausgaard - Da jeg var i lære (copy-and-paste - I think there are errors in it)

Jeg stod udenfor værkstedet skiftet dæk på en Fordson Major
Slog mig selv over fingerene og råbt' de forskræk'ligste ord
Mester kom til han ha'd' hørt jeg ga' hals
Hva' råber du for knægt? Hva' er der galt?
Han så på min finger. Er det virklig alt?
Og så fortalt han om da han var i lære:

For da han var i lære da peb de dæl'me ik' for så lidt
Han skar sig i fingren og slog sig så blodet det strit!
Men han tørred blodet af med en klud
Han klaged sig ikke sa' aldrig et muk
Og havde han gjort det ville hans mester komme ud
og fortælle om da han var i lære:

For da han var i lære da fik læredrengene nogen tæsk
Også så ryggen den ligned' et strivret styk flæsk
Men de tog sig ik' af'et de vænned sig te'd
Det faldt dem ik' ind og klage sig for det
Og havde de gjort det så ville deres mester komme til stede
og fortælle om da han var i lære:

For da han var i lære da blev læredrengene nemlig slået ihjel
Og døde de ikke ja så var'et nærmest et held
De mistet sine fingre og brækket deres arme
De knoklet så ryggen blev ødelagt og lam
Og klaged de sig så blev mester så harm
og fortalt' om da han var i lære.

Men når jeg bliver mester og det har jeg bestemt jeg vil være
Ooh jeg vil være så god ved de drenge der' i lære
Ja de skal selvfølglelig få lært og tag ved
Men de vil blive snakket ordn'ligt til
Og hvis de så ikke skønner på det
vil jeg fortælle om da jeg var i lære.

Edited by daegga on 14 February 2013 at 10:08pm

Marya
Diglot
Groupie
Poland
languagewanderer.com
Joined 4202 days ago

62 posts - 77 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Russian, Norwegian

Message 30 of 312
14 February 2013 at 10:38pm | IP Logged 
I read in your log that you finished The Two Towers, congratulasions with that! Keep up the good work!:)

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 31 of 312
19 February 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
It's time for another status update.
I don't have much time now in February, exams and a block seminar keep me busy. Still, I managed to get an average of 1.5 hours in per day in Danish, that's not that bad. But my other languages have to suffer.
I finished LOTR3 yesterday. The appendices made up about 4.5 hours of the audiobook. Most of the content in the appendices wasn't particularly interesting, and many infos were repeated in different places. That's why it took me a bit longer to finish ... it was just too boring. But I didn't want to skip the appendices and miss something important, like the story of Aragorn and Arwen. I've never read LOTR before, so I couldn't be picky.
My Danish studies will be more or less on hold until the beginning of March. I will focus on Norwegian instead. I still haven't finished the book "Vannet" I started in November (see page 1 of this log) and I plan to do just that now in February.
Beginning with next week, I want to listen to Silmarillion in Norwegian. I want to get my listening skills to a new level, so I will experiment with degraded audio. I'm currently preparing the audio and will probably start to listen next week.
Here are the intended steps:
cd1: 16kKz sampling rate
cd2: 16kHz sampling rate sped-up
cd3: 11025Hz sampling rate
cd4: 11025Hz sped-up
cd5: 8kHz
cd6: 8kHz sped-up
cd7: 8kHz + 300Hz high-pass filter (slightly better than telephone quality)
cd8: 8kHz + 300Hz high-pass sped-up
cd9: 8kHz + 400Hz high-pass + 3kHz low-pass (slightly worse than telephone quality)
cd10: 8kHz + 400Hz high-pass + 3kHz low-pass sped-up

I'm not sure yet what to do with the rest of the time, it will depend on how well the last steps are going.

Edited by daegga on 19 February 2013 at 3:36pm

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4309 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 

Message 32 of 312
06 March 2013 at 11:02pm | IP Logged 
I finished Vannet as well as Silmarillion. Vannet was pretty boring for the first half or so, but got thrilling towards the end. Silmarillion wasn't as hard as I expected in spite of the artificial sound quality deterioration. Still, I missed a lot, my mind was wandering a lot of times (I listened to it during a very stressful time).
I've just set the system language on my computer to Danish to effortlessly learn some computer terms. Let's see whether it helps.

This discussion contains 312 messages over 39 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version