Russian Federation
Joined 4839 days ago

498 posts - 905 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Spanish, Greek, Azerbaijani

Message 89 of 246
10 February 2013 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:

I ordered the new Kindle Paperwhite. The one that has the built-in translation feature for almost every language on my to-do list except Croatian.

Oh, shame on me for spending so much money, but just think about how much time it will save me for the Super Challenge reading. :D

I gave my mother a Kindle Paperwhite for New Year's, but seeing how much I loved it, she told me to keep it until I get my own. <3 That translation feature is indeed helpful. I also sometimes use the built-in Real Academia EspaƱola dictionary, especially when there's no wi-fi available.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 90 of 246
12 February 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
So the drama continues. Apparently, I will be unemployed by the end of the month. I am looking at different options for employment, a few that look promising, but once I start a new job (whatever it ends up being), I doubt I will have as much time for language study.

I will definitely continue with the Spanish Super Challenge, and if it's possible, I will also continue with the French. Beyond that, I hope I have time to keep a few of my languages, but if I have to go back to the factory, I will probably be working 70 hours a week again, so we'll see.

I am still working on the Harry Potter race with my daughter. She's just started book 5, and I'm about 1/3 of the way through #3. I am gaining on her. :)

I am really thinking 2013 might not be my year for the TAC. LOL

Edited by Kerrie on 12 February 2013 at 3:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4693 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 91 of 246
12 February 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Oh *include several swearwords in language(s) of your choice*, Kerrie, I'm really sorry to hear this! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find a new job that suits you and leaves you enough time for whatever you would like to do.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 92 of 246
12 February 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
Oh *include several swearwords in language(s) of your choice*, Kerrie,

That was kind of my reaction, too! I am calm about it though, and I know things will end up being okay. I believe that it was a great job at the right time in my life. If it's time to move on, then I just have to figure out where I'm going next.

It might not be ideal for my language learning, but I have a lot of years left, and I won't give that up, even if it's at a slower pace. :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 93 of 246
12 February 2013 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
*hugs*
argh i feel like we jinxed it:((( that convo about the awesomeness of your job...

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 94 of 246
13 February 2013 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
Nah, it's not your fault, although the timing is ironic. :)

It's been coming, since the way they were running things was not sustainable. I think they wanted to grow their user base so they could sell the company. They have a beta site (which is absolutely horrible), but the expert tutors will be volunteers, not paid. It's stupid, and they're setting the site up to fail, but there's not much I can do about it. I'm already looking at a few other options, so we'll see.

Hey, my kids finally went to school today. They had a two-hour delay, but they went to school today! (What the heck does the rest of the world do when it snows? They have roads in other snowy countries.. why is it so crazy here? Do they cancel school half the time in winter in other places, too?!)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 95 of 246
13 February 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
not in Russia, though Russia also sucks at dealing with snow (compared to Finland and presumably Scandinavia too).
but here most kids live within a walking distance from their school in cities. and there's no such thing as a school bus, the few who need this just use whatever public transportation they would normally use. (I'd say it's considered snobby to look for Teh Best school from a young age - most kids will just go to a local school, and then maybe move to a more specialized one when they are 11-13 and it's clear what subjects they're good at/it's no problem for them to take a bus or use the metro/the exams are looming ahead and they're motivated.

the typical reasons classes can be cancelled in winter are not snow but extremely cold weather (colder than -20) or flu epidemics.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 96 of 246
13 February 2013 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
That's interesting. :)

We rarely have schools close for illness - I don't think most schools will close unless 25% of students are out sick, and I'm not even sure about then.

We live in a rural area - dirt and gravel roads mostly, and everything is spread far apart. The girls' school is about 5-6 miles away. We are right next to Lake Michigan, so we get a lot of lake-effect snow squalls.

Even most of the kids who live closer to school ride the bus. We don't have public transportation - buses, trains, or metro - out here. I think it's something about the American mentality that nobody is safe anywhere.

My kids just told me they have Friday off (of school) for mid-winter break. LOL I guess the 6-1/2 snow days they've had in the last month haven't been enough. :)

Now I have to go watch Shrek in Croatian and then read Harry Potter in Spanish. I think my Kindle Paperwhite should come tomorrow, and I'm so excited. I think it will make it much easier to read, especially in French and Italian.

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version