United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4677 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 65 of 246
27 January 2013 at 6:50am | IP Logged 
Time out!!!   These are the kind of one-on-one arguments that will never end. Don't go
all Caintear vs Benny on us.

I actually came here to wish Kerrie well with her tooth, cat, and daughter (I think that
was it?). Stay strong!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 66 of 246
27 January 2013 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Time out!!!   These are the kind of one-on-one arguments that will never end. Don't go all Caintear vs Benny on us.

Yes, I think we can quit arguing now. I was going to say something earlier, but I have been busy studying. Well, working on Super Challenge stuff. Okay, sitting in front of the TV watching Ghost Whisperer. Except now the show is going to get weird: dead people, body-switching, and all sorts of weird that goes beyond even MY crazy threshold for weird.

I haven't heard of the Caintear vs Benny thing. What's that about?

kanewai wrote:
I actually came here to wish Kerrie well with her tooth, cat, and daughter (I think that was it?). Stay strong!

Thank you. :)

My daughter is fine, although the kids only had two days of school this past week (hello winter) and my sanity is wearing thin. The tooth problem will be gone Tuesday, the cat problem with be fixed Wednesday, and my car will be fixed Monday. I'm still hoping something is frozen and it will take care of itself, but otherwise I'll get it into the car doctor on Monday. So everything will be fine within a few days. :)

I have been looking at the numbers for the Super Challenge and what people have left to do, and it's a little crazy, this challenge we all took on. Most of us have a really really long way to go yet, and the challenge is almost half over. Yikes!

<must go back to work>

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 67 of 246
27 January 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Rout wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Well, to me there's very little difference between being old-fashioned and not knowing the modern words like computer or mobile phone.

The very next sentence:

Serpent wrote:
I certainly don't avoid ancient texts in Latin but if I find motivation to learn it actively I'll make sure to know these words, like Iversen does.

The same doesn't work for knowing "modern words" like 'computer' and 'cell phone?' Dictionaries.
You missed the point. "these words" = modern words.
Sure, dictionaries work. Why use courses at all, especially with Esperanto where you can learn the 16 rules and then use dictionaries? :)

Anyway, was just giving Kerrie a rec. Sorry it led to this.

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4997 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 246
27 January 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Just wanted to add my best wishes.   

Bon courage, Kerrie!

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5500 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Hindi

Message 69 of 246
27 January 2013 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Time out!!!   These are the kind of one-on-one arguments that will never end. Don't go all Caintear vs Benny on us.

I actually came here to wish Kerrie well with her tooth, cat, and daughter (I think that was it?). Stay strong!

Haha, couldn't agree more. I was about to say something myself, and do apologize I let the situation get the best of me. I was initially just trying to offer some helpful, well-attested advice. ^^ Anytime I do this, I invariably get openly contested by certain people.

At least you know we're watching you, Kerrie! My blogs are damn ghost-towns. You don't really want the alternative, trust me. It kind of defeats the purpose (for me). :p

Kerrie wrote:
I have been looking at the numbers for the Super Challenge and what people have left to do, and it's a little crazy, this challenge we all took on. Most of us have a really really long way to go yet, and the challenge is almost half over. Yikes!

I was going to take on the super challenge but thought the numbers were a little outrageous (for me personally). Doable? Yes. But it seems like you'd have to restrict yourself to only those activities (which is not something I'd want to do), e.g., movie-watching. The reading portion would be an instant fail for me. I'm a very slow, analytical reader by nature, and I actually make an effort to read even slower for important works.

So why do it? I think the point you have to remember is that if it's "doable" (even if it's pushing the outermost limits of being so) and you try your hardest, then you're going to get a very long ways and not regret it, even if you don't hit your set goal. Aim for the moon.

Edited by Rout on 28 January 2013 at 4:52pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 70 of 246
28 January 2013 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
It's "aim for the stars", haha.
What I love about this challenge is that I know I'd be in anyway if it was just a one-year thing, not 20 months. Probably with fewer languages but whatever.
As for restricting yourself: movies actually just mean audio. most of mine are audiobooks and football matches:)
Also, rereads count. So if you read a 500-page book and read each page twice, it counts as 1000.

Edited by Serpent on 28 January 2013 at 12:19am

Rout
Diglot
United States
Joined 5500 days ago

326 posts - 417 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Hindi

Message 71 of 246
28 January 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's "aim for the stars", haha.
What I love about this challenge is that I know I'd be in anyway if it was just a one-year thing, not 20 months. Probably with fewer languages but whatever.
As for restricting yourself: movies actually just mean audio. most of mine are audiobooks and football matches:)
Also, rereads count. So if you read a 500-page book and read each page twice, it counts as 1000.

It's actually interchangeable. Apunta a la luna, aún si fallas volarás entre las estrellas.

Edited by Rout on 28 January 2013 at 4:55pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 72 of 246
28 January 2013 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Nah, if you don't even reach the moon you'll be stuck in orbit :D

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version