Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 217 of 246
07 September 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Hey Kerrie. I'm glad to get some time for your log again. Thanks for some new tips.

Dropping some SCs is understandable, it is a huge amount of things to watch and listen to, so it makes sense to move forward with one and eventually get back to others later.

Well, we are our own judges and I must admit I never cared much about how the others count, even though I am glad to read of their progress. I found it awesome, last time, to just use a spreadsheet and not twitter. After all, the SC is a battle against ourselves, our schedules and everything holding us back from getting through the large amount of material. Badges and such things are only a nice but unnecessary trinket :-) I'm looking forward to reading of your further progress with SC Spanish.

A series that was recommended to me: Isabel. You can find it on the rtve.es website and I think it might suit you well, considering your recent tastes. Or have you already watched it?

I've watched the pillars of earth in Spanish as well, long time ago. I found it quite demanding so I admire your progress even more. If you are watching this series with ease, you are really good :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 218 of 246
07 September 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
A series that was recommended to me: Isabel. You can find it on the rtve.es website and I think it might suit you well, considering your recent tastes. Or have you already watched it?

I watched the first season quite a while ago. I went back to watch the second season when it came back, but I forgot who was who, so I might go back and watch it from the beginning again. I really liked it, but there is so much politics, and politicians all look the same to me. hehe

There is a lot of good stuff on rtve.es. Águila Roja is there, too. :)

Frágiles is another good one that I really enjoyed, but I don't think it's on rtve.es - it's probably done by another station.

Cavesa wrote:
I've watched the pillars of earth in Spanish as well, long time ago. I found it quite demanding so I admire your progress even more. If you are watching this series with ease, you are really good :-)

I read the book in Spanish, but I watched the mini-series in English. I actually started watching the first few episodes before I had gotten that far in the book, and I didn't have the Spanish version of the show.

I was always ahead in the book, though, so the movie was sort of "review" - and also kind of filling in holes. I knew what a lot of the Spanish words were, but wouldn't necessarily have been able to translate them, just because they were unfamiliar terms about building a cathedral in medieval times. :D

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 219 of 246
07 September 2014 at 6:55pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Doing the SuperChallenge in multiple languages is really hard. Much harder than doing it in one, and doing one in an A1 language is also much more of a slog (don't know if the languages you dropped were at that level?), so I totally understand why you have chosen to just focus on one.

I was doing French and Portuguese with the intention of finishing full challenges. I was doing a lot of Harry Potter. First I would intensively read the French, then listen/read a few times through. Then I would just jump over and listen/read the Portuguese version. I really think that if/when I have the time to properly work on French like this, I can get (passive) Portuguese at a huge discount. Between transparency with Spanish, and reading it intensively in French, I can understand virtually everything in the Portuguese (if I am concentrating 110%). It's really amazing, actually.

But with all the life drama lately, I haven't had enough time to focus and be consistent with any of my language learning stuff. Spanish is at a point where I can just read/watch and enjoy - at least passively. Now that a lot of the RL drama is settling down and I *can* find the time, I really need to decide what languages I want to focus on. There's so many that I want to learn, and I *know* that I cannot realistically learn 20 languages in the next ten or fifteen years - at least not if I want to live life the way I want to live.

If that makes any sense. :D

BAnna wrote:
I'm not quite ready to drop Russian completely yet, though again because my level is so low, I really wonder if watching movies with subtitles really is the best use of my time. I should probably just *study* :)

Yes! This is another reason I dropped everything but Spanish for the SC for now. I think it is making me try to jump into stuff I'm not ready for, and I really need to focus my energy on the basics a little more. The only languages (other than Spanish) for me that would fit with the SC right now would be French (and Portuguese). I could probably do Italian, too. But not all of them, and I'm not sure those are the ones that will be in my list of five anyways. Now, if I could count all three of them as one, then I might be able to convince myself to do them all. :D

But then if all the Romance languages count as one, all the Germanic languages (and Slavic languages) also count one, so then I'm up to fifteen already. LOL

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 220 of 246
07 September 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
I still recommend doing the SC for just a couple of languages :-) It does take a lot of focus away from the
basics if you try to do it too early.

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 221 of 246
07 September 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I still recommend doing the SC for just a couple of languages :-) It does take a lot of focus away from the basics if you try to do it too early.

You're right, of course. :D

I think if you are learning related Romance or Germanic languages, and you are at a A2 or B1 when you start, it would be quite feasible to do two. But I can't see anyone doing more than two (maybe three) proper Super Challenges, at least going by the original idea. :)

Of course, it all depends on how much time and energy you can devote to it. Last time around, there were only half a dozen folks who finished a proper SC anyways. Now we will have that many done before we're halfway through!

Edited by Kerrie on 07 September 2014 at 8:59pm

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4410 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 222 of 246
08 September 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Kerrie and Solfrid Cristin: Thanks. You've definitely convinced me. I'm going to update the bot with the latest Russian stuff, then completely stop doing the challenge for Russian and simply focus on the basics for that language this time around. Instead I can obsess on Russian in the 6 week challenge, right? :)

And 5 sounds like a totally reasonable number of languages (or language families) to stop at, though of course there are seven days in the week, haha ;)

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 223 of 246
08 September 2014 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
BAnna - I don't remember your level of Russian, but your Spanish and German are both strong enough that you might be able to pull of three (unrelated language) Super Challenges. Maybe take a break for a bit from the SC stuff for Russian, obsess on Russian for the November 6WC, then hit the books again and see how it goes.

Russian and Turkish are two of the languages on my "must learn" list, simply because of the history and culture behind them. I say keep them all! LOL

I was just reading your log and what you've been doing with the SC for Spanish, and now I will have to look up Pulseras Rojas and Suleimán. Pulseras Rojas reminds me of the book (and recent movie) The Fault in Our Stars - which I just read a few months ago. Suleimán looks really interesting, too. I love Turkish dramas, and I love historical stuff like that.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 224 of 246
08 September 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Aww, BAnna... I admit I always found it very inspiring how much progress you make over your three SC languages!
But as emk put it, if you feel like you're banging your head against the wall, maybe it's better to focus on the more formal learning for the time being. Have you tried GLOSS btw?

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version