Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
246 messages over 31 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 30 31 Next >>
zecchino1991
United States
facebook.com/amyybur
Joined 5046 days ago

778 posts - 885 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Modern Hebrew, Russian, Arabic (Written), Romanian, Icelandic, Georgian

Message 17 of 246
01 January 2013 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi! I am on the second Russian team. I really look forward to reading this log, since you
are studying so many languages!! Good luck and happy new year. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

LanguageSponge
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5554 days ago

1197 posts - 1487 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Welsh, Russian, Japanese, Slovenian, Greek, Italian

Message 18 of 246
01 January 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kerrie,

Good luck with your languages this year! I just looked at the Organisation Thread for TAC 2013 trying to find the Team Thread for the second Russian team, only to find that it is under the same heading as Team MIR.

Больших успехов с твоими яхыками в этом году!

Jack

riff
United States
Joined 5082 days ago

32 posts - 36 votes
Studies: Russian

Message 19 of 246
02 January 2013 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
Привет Kerrie! I'm very keen to know how you will approach the challenge of getting 4000
Russian words this year. As a newbie language learner myself, that seems like it will be
quite difficult! Needless to say, I'll be following your updates with interest. Good
luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ancpem1
Groupie
United States
Joined 4176 days ago

56 posts - 60 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Russian, Greek, Latin, French

Message 20 of 246
02 January 2013 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
Hi, Kerrie! I'm also on Team Mir, and I look forward to seeing your progress with your languages in 2013!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 21 of 246
02 January 2013 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
Thank you everyone for stopping by. I wish you all the best of luck for this year's TAC as well. I am looking forward to following everyone's progress through the year. :)

I just updated the front page with a list of logs of all my teammates. Since the Russian team 2 merged with Team Mir, I am in for quite a treat. (Thank goodness for mail filtering, though! LOL)

As I've already mentioned, I am going to be doing more countable goals this year, and I am going to start creating monthly challenges for myself as well. I have a feeling the first few days of January will be rough, since I am recovering from a nasty cold, and my children are home from school for the first week of January. (Sometimes it's hard to be a work-at-home mom when kids are home, sniffling, and hungry all the time. They'll be back to school soon, though!)

Goals for January 2013

Italian
I have about 25 lessons left of Assimil's passive wave. I want to finish the passive wave by the end of the month. This is my top priority for January.

Spanish
Anki vocabulary every day, 25 new words, which I take from my Super Challenge reading. Right now, I'm reading Diana Gabaldon's Forastera (Outlander), Harry Potter y la Cámera Secreta, and the first Narnia book. In addition to the 25 new words a day, I am also going to be doing 20 words a day from the 8,000+ word frequency list I downloaded from Anki's site. Those are almost all review anyways.

Thirty minutes of (non-Anki) Spanish a day, mostly reading. Sometimes I'll use that time to add my new words into Anki, though. I want to finish Forastera by the end of the month (720 pages). I'm 18% of the way there.

French
Minimum of 20 minutes a day. I will start working through the active wave of Assimil, but I want to finish the last 6 episodes of Medium (Saison 4) before I get into that. I think I will use that as my treat every night when the rest of my stuff is done. :)

Croatian
One Assimil lesson a day, ideally. For days I don't have time, I want to spend at least 15 minutes reviewing previous lessons. I am on lesson 18 on January 1st.

Russian
One Assimil lesson a day, most days. Russian is going to take a back seat to Croatian, but I want to commit to a minimum of 20 minutes a day. I will also be using Michel Thomas' Foundation course and I would like to get through 2/8 discs this month.

Portuguese
I will go back to my Assimil course after I'm done with the Passive wave in Italian.

Cooking
This has nothing to do with language learning, but it has to do with learning. :) Since I never really learned how to cook more than macaroni and cheese and ramen noodles, I am taking the Top Chef cooking class online. It was a Groupon thing, and hopefully my children will thank me. For January, I want to work through Getting Started (three modules) and Stocks, Soups, Sauces and Salads (5 modules). Any of you who like to cook, find me on Facebook and we'll talk. :)

I signed up for the Tadoku challenge, although I'm not even 100% sure what I'm doing with it. Almost all of my reading is done on my Kindle, so it's really hard to keep track of pages. I'm sure I could figure it out (Forastera is 720 pages, so 1% = 7 pages. Kind of.) But I'm not really that interested in counting pages every day. I'm more interested in reading and learning vocabulary. I signed up with a goal of 1000 pages for the month, so if I can finish Forastera, Harry #2, and the first Narnia book, I should be in that general range.

Edited by Kerrie on 02 January 2013 at 4:13am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 22 of 246
02 January 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
riff wrote:
Привет Kerrie! I'm very keen to know how you will approach the challenge of getting 4000
Russian words this year. As a newbie language learner myself, that seems like it will be
quite difficult! Needless to say, I'll be following your updates with interest. Good
luck!

I use Anki. They have a 1000 Frequency word deck you can download, I think there is a list of the 2000 most common words. Check the front page of the team Mir thread - I think it's at masterrussian.

I won't be adding Assimil vocab into Anki until the active wave, but doing an average of 10 words a day will bring me close to 4000 by the end of the year.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4954 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 23 of 246
02 January 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kerrie! You seem to have a good quality of life - your twins all the time with you at
home, you are doing what you want, and learning a lot of languages! Hope you manage to
improve a lot in Russian, Italian just like you did with Spanish and French. If you need
help with Portuguese, don't hesitate to ask me!

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5183 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 

Message 24 of 246
02 January 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
Hi Kerrie! You seem to have a good quality of life - your twins all the time with you at
home, you are doing what you want, and learning a lot of languages! Hope you manage to
improve a lot in Russian, Italian just like you did with Spanish and French. If you need
help with Portuguese, don't hesitate to ask me!

Thanks for the offer with Portuguese. I will probably take you up on that later in the year. :)

I actually work full-time and my kids go to school every day. They are on winter break (Christmas/New Years), but they will be going back to school on Monday. Since I work from home, I don't get as much done during school breaks. Over summer break, they get used to my schedule and leave me alone, so I can get more of my work done.

I definitely have a better quality of life than lots of people though. I have to put 40 hours in every week, but I can work whatever hours that I want to, which is very nice. :)

This discussion contains 246 messages over 31 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version