Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6692 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 9 of 66
30 December 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Hej Mick, we're in as many as two teams together! I'll be glad to follow your progress, especially in Swedish and Spanish. What have you been using for your Swedish so far?
1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 10 of 66
31 December 2012 at 11:47am | IP Logged 
Hej Julie, welcome! I am following your log too. I am using the Teach Yourself Swedish and Colloquial Swedish courses, Sveriges Radio, Svenska Dagbladet, Dagens Nyheter and I also listen to, and sing along with, many Swedish songs on YouTube.

I have not done much language learning over Christmas because I've spent a lot of time with family and friends and just enjoying the holidays. New Year's Eve is never a good day for me to learn languages as I'd rather go dancing to celebrate the New Year. Maybe I will post something on New Year's Day, but I know I'll be sleeping late and then I will be spending most of the day at my brother's house. Most likely I'll really get into TAC 2013 on Wednesday.

felice anno nuovo
hyvää uutta vuotta
gott nytt år
gelukkige nuwe jaar
नया साल मुबारक (nayaa saal mubaarak)
feliz año nuevo
szczęśliwego Nowego Roku

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 04 January 2013 at 9:17am

3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 11 of 66
04 January 2013 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
I did start TAC on Wednesday. I have started the year focusing on Swedish, Finnish, Polish and Italian. I'm mostly listening to music or the news on online radio stations and right now don't much to write about though I am also reading a little bit too. Well, to be more honest I still can't really read Finnish yet(an embarrassing to admit) or Polish without looking up nearly every word in a dictionary, but I don't care, it's a start.

Yes, I am learning one language for 15 to 30 minutes at a time and switching to another language as I wrote about here. I have not been learning all 7 languages every day, though sometimes I think I should be doing that. Maybe I will try it next week, I don't know yet.

I will have more detailed info next week after I've spent more time on Spanish, Afrikaans and Hindi.

god natt
buona notte
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 12 January 2013 at 1:21am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 66
04 January 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
Ja, du kan i hvert fall ikke beskyldes for å ha et kjedelig utvalg av språk! Lykke til med studiene, og si fra om det er noe jeg kan hjelpe deg med.

Well, you can in any event not be accused of having a boring selection of languages! Good luck with your studies, and let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 13 of 66
09 January 2013 at 2:30am | IP Logged 
@Solfrid Cristin: Det är ganska intressant för mig att se några skillnader mellan norska och svenska, till exempel "i hvert fall" i stället för "i varje fall" eller "noe" i stället för "något".

It's really interesting for me to see some differences between Norwegian and Swedish; for example "i hvert fall" instead of "i varje fall" or "noe" which I assume is similar to "något".

I really hadn't intended to post anything until I had something to write about for Spanish, Afrikaans, or Hindi. However, I have been on such a roll with Swedish lately that I couldn't wait for the other languages. I have been practicing my Swedish writing and I will definitely need to write even more Swedish.... along with other languages.

Ha det så bra
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 09 January 2013 at 2:36am

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 14 of 66
13 January 2013 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Frustrated by Finnish once again. Maybe I won't call this frustration, it is actually a good thing and should happen to me more often. I guess I'll start from the beginning so this makes sense, I have had a bad cold since Wednesday evening and I haven't felt like doing anything but sleeping all the time. Saturday afternoon I decided I should take advantage of the opportunity to learn how to complain about being sick in various languages. I planned to start with Finnish and then move onto other languages. Since I have a cold I thought "Why don't I learn how to say 'I have a cold.'? Should be pretty simple, right?"

Unfortunately, Teach Yourself Finnish only covers the verb "vilustua" which it claims means "to catch a cold". Well, I already have one so I don't need that verb. I consulted google.fi and found "Minulla on nuha", "Minulla on nuha kuumeessa" and "Olen vilustunut". I have no idea which phrase is the most common or if any of these are even correct Finnish. Even worse news is that before I could get to other languages like Spanish, Polish (I was really looking forward to this one) and Hindi I was too tired. Maybe I'll feel like learning to say "I have a cold." in those languages in the morning or Monday.

Näkemiin
Mick

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4348 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 15 of 66
13 January 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
I'd translate "Minulla on nuha" as "I have a runny nose" in most cases. If you (also) have a fever, it's common to just say "Minulla on kuumetta" or sometimes "Olen kuumeessa". "I have a cold" would be "Olen vilustunut", which sounds a bit stiff to me, or "Minulla on flunssa", which is colloquial. Note that "flunssa" typically refers to the common cold despite its etymology.

Parane pian!

Edited by sans-serif on 13 January 2013 at 11:06am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4146 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 16 of 66
17 January 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
It's quite an interesting list of languages you're learning.
I'm learning Swedish as well so I'm curious about your Swedish progression.

And I would love to read about you're Afrikaans progression, it's a fun comparing it to
Dutch.

Good luck with your studies!

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version