Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4349 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 26 of 66
18 January 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
Hah, yet another word we stole from the Swedes, then. I'd have to check to be sure, but 'snuva' and 'nuha' sure look suspiciously similar. Loanwords like this are one of the reasons I've grown to love Swedish; the influences are everywhere when you know to look for them. I'd go as far as to say that my improved Swedish has changed the way I view my mothertongue—and that's pretty cool.

Edited by sans-serif on 18 January 2013 at 10:58pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4124 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 27 of 66
18 January 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Lakeseayesno, any idea if it's like that anywhere else in the Spanish-speaking world? Is there normally no reason to avoid the word altogether? and how would you indicate which meaning you refer to? is there something like *de la nariz that would work?

Bingo. When you say "Estoy constipado" without adding further detail, it usually refers to... well, constipation on the other end of matters. (Yeah, I'll just pretend I don't know the word for that one <_<)
But with "de la nariz" you specify where it's happened, so it'd mean "my nose is clogged".
There's no particular reason to avoid the word (although there are a lot of reasons to specify where it's happening, lol).

As a sidenote, in most countries people use "tengo la nariz (tapada)" (blocked) rather than "estoy constipado de la nariz". Colloquially, in Mexico "taponada" (plugged) is also used (popularly, "taponeada", which is an incorrect conjugation of "taponar" but is very commonly used). So it'd be...

- Tengo la nariz tapada/estoy tapado de la nariz. (most countries)
- Tengo la nariz taponada/estoy taponado de la nariz (Mexican Spanish)

Serpent wrote:
"у Юры в носу понос" - 'Yura has diarrhea in his nose'.

Thank you. You just made my day. XD

PS: Sorry for hijacking your thread, Mick D:

4 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 28 of 66
19 January 2013 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
[...]

Now that I think about it, why didn't I look up "I have a cold" and "I have a runny nose" in Italian yet? Oh well, that will be in my next post.

[...]

I hope you don’t mind if I spare you the search:

I have a cold = Ho il raffreddore / Sono raffreddato
I have a running nose = Ho il naso che cola

If that’s the case, I can only wish you: ‘Guarisci presto!/Rimettiti presto!’
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 66
19 January 2013 at 4:12am | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Bingo. When you say "Estoy constipado" without adding further detail, it usually refers to... well, constipation on the other end of matters.
Where?
Haha I mean in which parts of the Spanish-speaking world? Are you speaking only of Mexico or not?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 66
19 January 2013 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
I randomly remembered how Gunnemark mentioned his mnemonic for the Russian word for runny nose, насморк. (nasmork) He was a native speaker of Swedish and he learned that as nasmörker, darkness in the nose! LOL!
...damn... Mick isn't learning Russian. oops.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 31 of 66
19 January 2013 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Cool! Good to see so many people posting in my log.

@Kez: Good to know, I'll add "Jag har snuva" to my vocabulary lists.

@sans-serif: I've noticed some of the words Finnish has borrowed from Swedish too, I really like seeing the Finnish spellings.

@Lakeseayesno: No need to apologize, I don't think you are hijacking my thread, . I am also glad to know that "Tengo la nariz tapada/estoy tapado de la nariz. (most countries)
- Tengo la nariz taponada/estoy taponado de la nariz (Mexican Spanish)" are better ways to talk about having a runny nose.

@Emme: Grazie mille! I don't mind at all that you spared me the search.

@Serpent: If you're trying to convince me to learn Russian, then I have to admit your plan is working well. Nasmörker is pretty funny too.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 32 of 66
19 January 2013 at 12:15pm | IP Logged 
haha no i'm not trying :D just keep thinking of funny things and forgetting you're learning Polish, not Russian.

tapado/taponado is about a stuffed/congested nose, not a runny nose afaiu.
(wait i'm confused again... i thought constipado could be used about a common cold in general, not necessarily the nose part?
also, if the 'triple' usage is mostly common in Mexico due to the influence of English, I wonder if there's something like that in say Gibraltar :D

Edited by Serpent on 19 January 2013 at 12:30pm

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version