United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 41 of 66
01 February 2013 at 12:52am | IP Logged 
¿Por qué leí algunos mensajes del foro la tarde de ayer y esta mañana? No sé. No he dejado de lado los idiomas, pero estuve indolente. No es para tanto, escucho a la radio ahora y después aprenderé los idiomas sueco y Italiano.

Escribiré acerca de la gramática finlandésa mañana.
chau
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 01 February 2013 at 1:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 42 of 66
02 February 2013 at 10:13am | IP Logged 
12:40 a.m. Saturday morning seems like a good time to write a little bit about the agent participle in Finnish. I have read uusikielemme.fi's explanation of this feature. I was right in thinking that the agent participle looks like the third infinitive form since both add the suffix "ma/mä" to the third person plural form of a verb. I'll use the one of same verbs as on the page I linked to above, "maalata" (to paint) which in the third person plural is "maalaavat" (they paint). The agent participle form is "malaama" and to borrow a sentence from the same page "Kallen maalaama talo" or "By Kalle was painted house" to give a hyper-literal translation so that I can get used to the word order. The agent participle can of course be inflected (like most words in Finnish) in all the cases but I'm tired to continue this now. More importantly, this ends my specific focus on Finnish grammar; now it's time to actually learn to use this language.

I have been learning some Hindi, mostly still learning the alphabet and a few basic phrases and grammar points, but I'll wait until I learn more of the language before I write anything.

I'm looking for books to read in Spanish and Italian and I am happy that I have found so many interesting authors and books. I just have decide what I want to read first. For Italian, I think I will start with Carlo Levi's Cristo si è fermato a Eboli. I am still looking for something to read in Spanish, but I don't know if I want to start something from Spain or from Latin America.

Hyvää yötä
buonanotte
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 05 February 2013 at 11:14pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 43 of 66
05 February 2013 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
It's hard to me to believe my last message here was only three days ago, I feel it's been much longer than
that. I still haven't found a Spanish book I want to start reading, but after tonight I'll stop looking for a while.

I'm listening to Finnish right now and reviewing my latest Finnish word list:

penkoa - to rummage
riippua - to hang (more commonly used to mean to depend)
ampua - to shoot
tottua - to become accustomed to
kaatua - to fall down
aikoa - to plan to do smthg
purkaa - to dismantle. Can also mean to unravel, to defuse (a bomb), to disassemble.
noutaa - to fetch, to retrieve
esiintyä - to show up
sortaa - to trample, to oppress
uskaltaa - to dare
tappaa - to kill

I think all of these words are verbs, but id=492297&l2=3">sanakirja.org's entry for "tottua" also has it listed as an adjective meaning "used".
Wiktionary and
ilmainen sanakirja make no mention of
this, so I don't know if "tottua" can be an adjective or not.

Yesterday I intended to listen to Swedish for about an hour, but I can't be sure how long I was listening to
Swedish because I fell asleep while sitting at my computer.

I have started reading Cristo si è fermato a Eboli and I doubt anyone will be surprised to learn it is going
very, very slowly. I am not using a dictionary to look up every other word, but extensive reading is totally new
for me, and it's weird only grasping the most obvious ideas that are expressed and missing many subtle
details. I am telling myself that this is progress and I am enjoying the book, but I may read it again in the
future after my reading comprehension has improved.

nähdään taas
a dopo
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 June 2016 at 6:54pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 66
05 February 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
i didn't know penkoa (or rummage, for that matter).
riippua is more commonly used to mean depend. but independent is completely different - itsenäinen. 2 months ago it was itsenäisyyspäivä:)
tottua can't be an adjective but tottunut can sort of be.

Edited by Serpent on 05 February 2013 at 11:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 45 of 66
06 February 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Rummage is an uncommon word, I suspect that many people don't know it. The only reason I know it is many churches here have annual rummage sales in the spring. The idea is that members of the churches are supposed to search through (or rummage)their closets and cupboards for things that are in good condition but that they do not use anymore. The church sells these items and gives the money they earn to a local charity.

It's good to know that "riippua" usually means "depend", that makes a little more sense. I'm starting to have doubts about using sanakirja.org as a resource, as I didn't think that "tottua" looked like an adjective.

Edited by mick33 on 06 February 2013 at 12:25am

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4349 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 46 of 66
06 February 2013 at 6:54am | IP Logged 
'Sortaa' is actually more like 'to oppress', although I suppose 'sortaa yksilön oikeuksia' is best translated as 'to trample on the rights of the individual'.

'Purkaa' could also mean 'to unravel', 'to defuse (a bomb)' or 'to disassemble'.

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 47 of 66
08 February 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
@sans serif: Thank you, It's always good to get explanations and help from as many people as possible.

I'm having fun with Polish pronunciation, mainly because I have just decided to stop getting frustrated even though my tongue still does not want to learn the difference between "soft" and "hard" consonants. I know I wrote about this before (sometime last year) but I still don't make the right sounds very often, maybe not at all. The letters and consonant clusters that give me the most problems are: rz/ż vs ź, sz vs ś, cz vs ć, especially the first pair. I finally remember that "rz" and "ż" are just two ways to spell the same sound and sometimes I can almost pronounce it*, but then I will hear or see a word with the letter "ź" and suddenly I get tongue-tied and even start pronouncing all three as "sz"! I think that "rz/ż" and "ź" sound very similar, but I know they aren't the same sounds and I don't hear them as identical sounds.

I'll have to continue practicing the pronunciation. This leads me to vocabulary and here are a few Polish words I am trying to pronounce:

przesłanie - message (as in message of a film, I think I'm probably wrong here)
zdobyć - to obtain, to acquire. Can also mean to capture, or to seize a town.
uprzejmość - kindness, courtesy, politeness
wspaniały - splendid, glorious, magnificent
prezentować - to introduce, to show, to present
przepiękny - gorgeous, exquisite, beautiful
osiągnięcie - achievement
stanowczy - firm, resolute

I hope these translations are right, but I really don't know. I am most unsure about "zdobyć", though I am fairly confident that is is a verb. I also find "zdobywać", which I believe is related, but I haven't learned enough about Polish grammar yet to know. Maybe I should spend a little time on Polish grammar, but that isn't likely to happen until next week. I know I will practice saying the words I listed above and listen to more Polish so that I can get to the phase where the language sounds normal and natural to me.

Do zobaczenia
Mick

*I know that trying to assess my own pronunciation has many problems, but when even my American English ears notice my poor pronunciation something really is wrong.*

EDIT: I corrected a typo that amerykanka pointed out, "przesłanie" should not have a kreska (or accent mark, I guess) over the "n". I also added a few things to the definitions of Polish words, as Amerykanka suggested.

Edited by mick33 on 11 August 2013 at 4:55am

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4961 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 48 of 66
09 February 2013 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I'll have to continue practicing the pronunciation. This leads me to vocabulary and here are
a few Polish words I am trying to pronounce:

przesłańie - message (as in message of a film, I think I'm probably wrong here)
zdobyć - to capture, or to seize.
uprzejmość - kindness, courtesy, politeness
wspaniały - splendid, glorious, magnificent
prezentować - to show, to present
przepiękny - gorgeous, exquisite, beautiful
osiągnięcie - achievement
stanowczy - firm, resolute

I hope these translations are right, but I really don't know. I am most unsure about "zdobyć", though I am
fairly confident that is is a verb. I also find "zdobywać", which I believe is related, but I haven't learned enough
about Polish grammar yet to know. Maybe I should spend a little time on Polish grammar, but that isn't likely
to happen until next week. I know I will practice saying the words I listed above and listen to more Polish so
that I can get to the phase where the language sounds normal and natural to me.

The definitions you found for these words are very good. Where did you get them from? I'm curious because
it doesn't sound like they came from a dictionary if you are so uncertain about them. Do you have another
method of finding definitions?

I have a couple of comments that might further explain some of the words. First, "przesłanie" does mean
"message", as in the message of a movie or a book. But there is no kreska over the n, since it is already soft
because of the i that comes after it.

Now as to "zdobywać"/"zdobyć" - "zdobywać" is imperfective and "zdobyć" is perfective, but they mean the
same thing. I would say the main meaning is "to obtain" or "to acquire". So "zdobyć szacunek, przyjaciół,
sławę, pozwolenie." It also means what you put - "to capture" or "to seize" a town. Another meaning is "to
score", as in "zdobyć punkty, bramkę".

"Prezentować" can also mean "to introduce", as in "to introduce someone to someone".

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version