1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 49 of 66
10 February 2013 at 4:48am | IP Logged 
Amerykanka wrote:
mick33 wrote:
I'll have to continue practicing the pronunciation. This leads me to vocabulary and here are
a few Polish words I am trying to pronounce:

przesłańie - message (as in message of a film, I think I'm probably wrong here)
zdobyć - to capture, or to seize.
uprzejmość - kindness, courtesy, politeness
wspaniały - splendid, glorious, magnificent
prezentować - to show, to present
przepiękny - gorgeous, exquisite, beautiful
osiągnięcie - achievement
stanowczy - firm, resolute

I hope these translations are right, but I really don't know. I am most unsure about "zdobyć", though I am
fairly confident that is is a verb. I also find "zdobywać", which I believe is related, but I haven't learned enough
about Polish grammar yet to know. Maybe I should spend a little time on Polish grammar, but that isn't likely
to happen until next week. I know I will practice saying the words I listed above and listen to more Polish so
that I can get to the phase where the language sounds normal and natural to me.

The definitions you found for these words are very good. Where did you get them from? I'm curious because
it doesn't sound like they came from a dictionary if you are so uncertain about them. Do you have another
method of finding definitions?

I have a couple of comments that might further explain some of the words. First, "przesłanie" does mean
"message", as in the message of a movie or a book. But there is no kreska over the n, since it is already soft
because of the i that comes after it.

Now as to "zdobywać"/"zdobyć" - "zdobywać" is imperfective and "zdobyć" is perfective, but they mean the
same thing. I would say the main meaning is "to obtain" or "to acquire". So "zdobyć szacunek, przyjaciół,
sławę, pozwolenie." It also means what you put - "to capture" or "to seize" a town. Another meaning is "to
score", as in "zdobyć punkty, bramkę".

"Prezentować" can also mean "to introduce", as in "to introduce someone to someone".
Dziękuję! I actually did get the definitions from Oscar Swan's Polish dictionary and ling.pl. They didn't always agree on the definitions of the words, that's why I wasn't sure. I am happy to know that the definitions are good. I'm surprised I didn't notice I typed "przesłanie" wrong, but I corrected my mistake. The phrases you mentioned for "zdobyć" were also helpful.

I also see I've chosen the right time to spend one week (and no longer) learning some of the basics of Polish grammar since I don't know much about the difference between imperfective and perfective verbs.

Edited by mick33 on 10 February 2013 at 4:55am

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 50 of 66
26 February 2013 at 8:13am | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
I also see I've chosen the right time to spend one week (and no longer) learning some of the basics of Polish grammar since I don't know much about the difference between imperfective and perfective verbs.
No, I didn't learn any Polish grammar since my last post, all my motivation for doing so transferred to Italian and Swedish. I don't mean I learned (or maybe relearned) the basics of Italian and Swedish grammar, rather I just listened to and read more Italian and Swedish than Polish. This is no big deal, I know my brain will be curious about Polish again sometime soon. I've also been looking for a job. If I do get a job I will have to change my language study plans, but I can think about that after I get hired somewhere.

Hej då
Buonanotte
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 06 May 2013 at 10:36pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 51 of 66
26 March 2013 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Recentemente non ho imparato nient'altro che l'italiano. Quanto tempo imparerò solamente l'italiano? Non lo so, ma mi sto divertendo molto.

I have been learning Italian and nothing else lately. I don't know how long I will learn only Italian but I am having a lot of fun focusing on just one language for now.

Stammi bene
Mick
2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 52 of 66
28 March 2013 at 8:26pm | IP Logged 
Sono felice che ti stia divertendo a studiare l’italiano.

Una piccola precisazione (e sono sicura che si tratta solo di una svista): quando si parla della durata di un’attività si usa la preposizione “per”.
ES: Ho guardato la TV per due ore.

E anche nella domanda si deve usare il “per”:
ES: Per quanto tempo hai guidato per arrivare qui?

Comunque, il tuo Italiano è comprensibilissimo. Continua così!

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 53 of 66
15 May 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
Il tempo vola! Non ho scritto niente per un mese. Sarei scritto qualcosa ma non mi è mai venuto in mente. Ovviamente sto continuando ad imparare l'italiano. Avevo chiaramente imparato nel condizionale passato ed anche alcune expressioni con la parola pure.

La settimana scorsa trovavo la parola quegli quando ho letto una libra. Non lo sapevo ma pensavo che dovesse essere un errore. A quanto pare che quegli è in realtà una parole.

Time really flies. I wrote nothing here for a month (actually more than a month, but I forgot how to write "more than" in Italian) and didn't even think about doing so. Obviously I am continuing to learn Italian. In fact I've focused on learning to use the condizionale passato tense and also some expressions with the word "pure".

I'm really unsure on when to use "pure". I often mistake it for a verb, even though I've never seen any Italian verbs with the ending -ure and I assume there aren't any.
According to WordReference and Collins Italian-English dictionary "pure" can either be an adverb or a conjunction. Both links also imply that "pure", when used as an adverb, might be interchangable with "anche" (also, as well, too), and in negative statements "pure" could mean "either". As a conjunction it would be similar to "yet", "but" or 'although" but I'm not certain of when I should use this word. The Collins dictionary gives some example sentences for both uses but I'll only give a few of those here here:

When used as an adverb
1. Viene suo fratello e pure sua sorella. (His brother is coming and his sister too.)
2. Pure lei non lo sa fare. (She can't do it either) For this I take note of the fact "pure" comes first which could mean that this is an incomplete thought.

When used as a conjunction:
1. Pur non volendolo, ho dovuto farlo. (Even though I didn't want to, I had to do it)
2. È giovane, pure ha buon senso. (He's young, but has good sense.)

I also learned about the word "quegli" which I originally thought was a mistake, but actually means "those".

Ciao
Buonanotte
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 20 May 2013 at 8:40pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5714 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 54 of 66
29 May 2013 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
I am still spending a lot time on Italian, but there is little to report right now as I have been reviewing vocabulary and grammar points that I have already learned and written about in my previous logs. YAY!!! I am also very happy that my listening comprehension has improved to where Italian no longer sounds exotic or unusual at all. It sounds like a language I should be able to use and I can definitely understand some whole sentences now instead of only random words. This is a very, very good thing.

Maybe my readers have noticed that I have added Hungarian to my list of languages and Thai has also returned. I have no good explanation for this, I just feel like learning these languages again so I am.

I'm not quite a true beginner in either language but I needed to learn pronunciation again, as there some important points that I had missed when I dabbled with these languages before.

I'll write about Hungarian this time. I have been paying special attention to how the following letters sound: the vowels á, ö, ő, ü, ú, ű, and the consonants s, sz, gy, dzs, and zs. Gy, s, sz are the only minor issues here. None of these sounds are really difficult for me, but the spellings occasionally confuse me. I think "gy" is pronounced like the d in "due" when spoken by someone speaking English with a very posh British accent but I sometimes want to pronounce it as "dge" as in "judge" or "edge". "Sz" is simply /s/ as in 'sun', but I keep thinking it should be the same sound as it is in Polish, while "s" in Hungarian is pronounced like /ʃ/ as in "shout". I can make all these sounds, I just need to pay attention to the spelling and be sure I never study or listen to Polish and Hungarian on the same day.

jó éjszakát
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 30 May 2013 at 9:32am

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5139 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 55 of 66
29 May 2013 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
Szia Mick

Örülök, hogy újra tanulsz magyarul. Ez a nyelv a kedvencem. Sok szerencsét!

I'd say that you're right about the "gy" sound, although it's actually softer than the English equivalent you mentioned. It's almost like you just flick over the top of the "d" in "due" sound and don't hit it completely.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 56 of 66
29 May 2013 at 1:11pm | IP Logged 
Is it basically like the Slavic soft d? I don't think there's an example from Polish though...
edit: think of the d in Italian 'vediamo' too.

Edited by Serpent on 29 May 2013 at 1:12pm

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version