United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 17 of 66
17 January 2013 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
I'm still sick, but I was worried about forgetting what little I've learned this year. So far I've been learning
mostly Swedish and Finnish. Yesterday, I took Emme's advice in this language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34530&PN=1&TPN=24#423 977">post from the Viking team
thread and watched the short film Ett nytt
kapitel
with Swedish subtitles. I understood more than I expected I would, but I feel like I missed a lot
of things too. The film is about Christer and Lena two co-workers whose job is to sort mail. Christer decides
he wants to take a month off from work to begin writing a crime novel. Lena is attracted to him and often
thinks of little reasons to visit him while he is trying to write. I don't know for sure what her reasons were for
coming to visit but it was obvious that they were always excuses to spend more time with him. Watching it
with subtitles was a good way for me to find new words such as:

ingenstans - anywhere or nowhere (unclear on this one, maybe it depends on context)
undersökning - examination, investigation
allra - of all som på mest
dagliga - everyday

There should be more words, but I would have to pause the movie a lot to catch them all and I didn't want to
spend all day on a 28 minute film.

As for Finnish, I tried to read a Wikipedia article but failed to understand enough to have anything to write
about. I'm not surprised or bothered by this, but I needed to write it to be honest.

@sans-serif: Kiitos! So "Minulla on nuha" usually means having a runny nose, that's good to know especially
since I have a runny nose right now. Interesting that "flunssa" usually means common cold, but that's easy to
remember.

hyviä öitä
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 June 2016 at 6:40pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 18 of 66
17 January 2013 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Mera svenskt ord:
avsnitt - installment, episode, part section
frånsett - apart from
undantag - exception
undanta - to exempt, to except
utom - beyond, outside, above, except
förutom - apart from
förvaltning - administration
hämta - to fetch, to collect
blanda - to blend, to mix
kräva - to demand, to require
tigga - to beg
bulle - cake, roll, bun (takes en)
fixa - to arrange, to fix
sändning - broadcast (takes en), shipment, consignment
växa - to grow
bröllop - wedding, marriage
väska - bag (takes en)
tyg - material, fabric
blåst - wind (takes en)
truta - to pout
träna - to practise, to train
plåta - to photograph, to take a picture
haka - chin (takes en)
fundera - to think, to ponder,, to meditate
darrhänt - shaky hands
ihop - togetherihop - together
skära - jar, cleave, grate, carve, cut, slice, intersect
rakkniv - razor (takes en)

Jag tittade Kan du vissla Johanna? idag. Nu ska jag
lära mig finska och spanska.

adjö så länge
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 29 June 2016 at 6:43pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 19 of 66
18 January 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:
It's quite an interesting list of languages you're learning.
I'm learning Swedish as well so I'm curious about your Swedish progression.

And I would love to read about you're Afrikaans progression, it's a fun comparing it to
Dutch.

Good luck with your studies!
Thank you, Kez. I have let my Afrikaans slide a bit. I can't find many interesting things to watch or read in the language and I'm a little lazy sometimes, but yeah it is fun to compare and contrast it with Dutch.

Edited by mick33 on 18 January 2013 at 9:15am

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 20 of 66
18 January 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I get sick and stay sick for awhile totally forgetting that I was going to continue learning how to complain about being sick in many languages.

I already learned a little a bit of these kinds of things in Finnish with sans-serif's helpful advice, so for this post I will get into Spanish and Swedish. I had to look up the Spanish for "i have a cold" and if I trust my bilingual University of Chicago dictionary and this wordreference page then I think I could say "Estoy resfriado" but I also find words like "catarro", "constipado" or "agripado". "Catarro" is similar to "catarrh" and think means runny nose. Constipado,¿verdad? I just hope I don't confuse this one with the English word "constipation" which means something different.
I could learn that word too, but I only learn the words for health problems on an as-needed basis. Getting back on track, I am running into problems finding a way to say "I have a runny nose." in Spanish. ¡Ay de mi! La diglosia al idioma español crispo los nervios a veces.

I'll continue this later after I figure out how to say "I have runny nose" in Spanish (and other languages) in the morning.

Hasta luego y buenas noches
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 07 January 2014 at 8:08pm

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4123 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 21 of 66
18 January 2013 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Just a comment on "constipado": at least where I live, it has a double meaning. It can mean "constipation" (with its English meaning), or it can mean that your nose is plugged up, so it's sort of the opposite of a runny nose. :P

Mejorate pronto!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 66
18 January 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Parane pian!
well this 'congestion' meaning for constipado makes sense for sure, lol. it's actually a well-known false friend. (in Latin the original meaning was something like crowded, pressed closely together. English and Spanish went in different directions from there)

Lakeseayesno, any idea if it's like that anywhere else in the Spanish-speaking world? Is there normally no reason to avoid the word altogether? and how would you indicate which meaning you refer to? is there something like *de la nariz that would work?

LOL can you tell I'm fascinated with health topics, including this sort of thing XD

Edited by Serpent on 18 January 2013 at 6:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 23 of 66
18 January 2013 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
LOOOL now I remembered a popular book about children's speech in Russian. it's not a linguistics book, mostly just an entertaining one, about the creative use of language.
one example was "у Юры в носу понос" - 'Yura has diarrhea in his nose'.

Oops I forgot Mick is not learning Russian. the Polish would be like Jura ma biegunkę w nosie.... lol.
3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 24 of 66
18 January 2013 at 9:58pm | IP Logged 
@Lakeseayesno: Gracias. Finding out that "constipado" can mean congested or constipated makes more sense.
@Serpent: The Russian phrase is hilarious, and I don't mind at all if I learn a little Russian along with Polish. I assume the Polish phrase means something similar, no?

I should have known to research "constipado" more carefully, :)! I did look up how to say "I have a runny nose" in Spanish this morning on the wordreference forums and found the following phrases:

Word Reference forum thread wrote:
tengo catarro = I have a cold [[Yes, I would have a runny nose, by implication]
tengo fluxion = I have nasal flux [[Yes, I would have a runny nose, by implication]
tengo fluido nasal = I have nasal fluid [[Yes, I would have a runny nose, by implication]
tengo gotereo/goteo nasal = I have nasal drip [[Yes, I would have a runny nose, by implication]
tengo romadizo = I have a head cold [[Yes, I would have a runny nose, by implication]
contraer romadizo = to contract a head cold [but not contract a runny nose]

adjective and noun
tengo la nariz chorreada = I have a runny nose [Méx.]

tengo chorreo de la nariz = I have running of the nose [running of the nose is a common phrase in English, I believe]

tengo chorreo nasal = I have [a] nasal flow
me gotea la nariz = my nose is dripping
me corre la nariz = my nose is running [correr se refiere más a los animales]
So, I guess that ends my search for now, although I'm certain I could find more phrases if I wanted to keep looking.

Next language, as I promised in my last post, will be Swedish: In
folkets lexikon I get "Jag har en lätt förkylning" which it translates as "I have a bit of a cold. I can't find a good Swedish phrase to correspond to "I have a runny nose" and I'm tired of looking for it. "Vara snorig" might work but I think it just means "To be snot-nosed", besides that "vara snorig" seems like an incomplete thought.

For some reason, that reminds that I want to actually listen to more Spanish, Polish and Italian today.

Now that I think about it, why didn't I look up "I have a cold" and "I have a runny nose" in Italian yet? Oh well, that will be in my next post.

chau
Mick

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version