1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 57 of 66
30 May 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
hribecek wrote:
Szia Mick

Örülök, hogy újra tanulsz magyarul. Ez a nyelv a kedvencem. Sok szerencsét!

I'd say that you're right about the "gy" sound, although it's actually softer than the English equivalent you mentioned. It's almost like you just flick over the top of the "d" in "due" sound and don't hit it completely.
That's good to know, I wasn't completely clear about this sound.

Serpent wrote:
Is it basically like the Slavic soft d? I don't think there's an example from Polish though...
edit: think of the d in Italian 'vediamo' too.
I hadn't thought of "gy" being like a Slavic soft "d". I can't think of an example from Polish either (maybe I'll find one), but the d from "vediamo" is helpful here.
1 person has voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5138 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 58 of 66
30 May 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Is it basically like the Slavic soft d? I don't think there's an example from Polish though...
edit: think of the d in Italian 'vediamo' too.

I can only go by Czech and it is very similar, but it's not the same sound. The Hungarian 'gy' feels and sounds a tiny bit more bouncy and less resistant to the flow of the sound of the word. I guess a bit softer and I definitely enjoy the Hungarian sound more, in fact it's one of my favourite language sounds. Some people might argue with me about that though.

I'm no linguist but I've found out that the name of the Czech d' is called a 'voiced palatal stop and the Hungarian 'gy' is called a 'voiced palatal affricate'. I don't know what this means but it might help somebody.

gy = ɟ͡ʝ
d' = ɟ
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4955 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 59 of 66
30 May 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Roughly speaking:

a stop: the tongue just 'hits' the articulation place. Example, the 't' sound.
a fricative: the sound "flows", it's continuous. For example, the 'sh' sound.
Affricate: hit-and-go. Example the 'ch' sound (all English sounds). That is, a t combined
with a sh.

So at the Czech one the tongue just hits the palate once. At the Hungarian one it hits
the palate and continues to make friction over it. And there is simply friction, for
example, the German "ich" sound.
3 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 60 of 66
31 May 2013 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
This is a very interesting discussion. I wonder if maybe I should dabble with Czech just to get an idea of what this Slavic soft "d" is.

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 61 of 66
20 June 2013 at 9:31am | IP Logged 
I had promised myself that my next post would be about some basic points of Hungarian grammar. Thanks to a 12- day vacation and a bad cold which has lasted 9 days I'm only just getting around to this now. Oh well, better late than never.

I was reading about Hungarian verbs and one of the first things I spotted was that there are indefinite and definite conjugations for verbs. Definite conjugations* are used when talking about a direct object, for example:

Látom a házat. (I see the house)

Indefinite conjugation is needed for sentences without a definite object:

Látok egy házat. (I see a house)

I think most verbs have these two conjugation patterns but I'm not sure about this yet. I did discover from Verbix that "van" (to be) only has indefinite conjugation, which is a relief.

When looking for Hungarian verb conjugators I found out that I must input the third person singular form of the verb and not the infinitive form, so to get the full conjugation of "to be" in Hungarian I had to type "van" rather than "lenni". This seems a little odd, but maybe I can learn how to predict what the third person singular form of most verbs is when I encounter a new one (if they follow regular conjugation patterns).

There's more I can write about Hungarian verbs but I must get some sleep first.

Viszontlátásra
Mick

* I have to mention that hungariangrammar.com is written in Swedish, and I am very happy that I understood just enough Swedish to read this website!

Edited by mick33 on 20 June 2013 at 9:33am

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 62 of 66
11 August 2013 at 4:51am | IP Logged 
I have done almost nothing with languages since my last post here. I don't have a good (or funny) excuse, I've just been busy with other things.

I think the best thing for me to do is learn my languages as though my unintentional break didn't happen. This is what I have done today and what I will continue to do.

I've spent the day listening to spoken Italian, Swedish and Finnish and also practicing pronunciation. I think my attempts to speak Italian still sound too much like Spanish with different words but maybe I'm nitpicking.

Ciao
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 11 August 2013 at 4:56am

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 63 of 66
08 October 2013 at 10:12am | IP Logged 
Wow! I can't believe how busy my life became since my last message here. I haven't totally neglected learning languages, but between helping my mother prepare her preschool classroom for the new school and doing a lot of babysitting I found little time for this forum. Besides that, I've just noticed that I'm not getting very many emails from this forum, so if I don't visit every few days I miss out on a lot that goes on here.

In addition to my focus on listening to Italian, Swedish and Finnish (mostly Italian because my listening comprehension is still not very good) I have been dabbling a little bit with French. I know I won't learn French any time soon, but for some reason I'm very interested in philosophy lately and while looking for videos on YouTube I found the famous Chomsky-Foucault debate. This was my introduction to the ideas of both Chomsky and Foucault, but more importantly I wanted to find out if I could understand Foucault's French based on my knowledge of Spanish and Italian and I did okay. I understood about 25% of what he said but to really follow the debate I needed the subtitles. I found the Dutch TV host intrusive but it was good to hear Dutch as well.

A dopo
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 31 October 2013 at 10:21am

mick33
United States
Joined 5713 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 64 of 66
16 November 2013 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
I didn't mention it here, but I am in the 6WC. Yes, I'm doing Hungarian, though I am off to a very slow start. Before today, I had logged about 2 hours. Today I am alternating between listening to spoken Hungarian and spoken Finnish. I am doing this to avoid burnout from listening to one language for a long time and it is working. I have also noticed that, although both languages place stress on the first syllable of every word, Hungarian sounds more flowing which was something I didn't expect and I actually slightly prefer the rhythmic cadence of Finnish... then again it could be that my very lazy brain really likes hearing a language it understands (somewhat) since I know far more words in Finnish.

I've neglected every other language lately so I have nothing to write about them right now.

Sziasztok
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 16 November 2013 at 1:31am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 66 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version