Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 177 of 299
26 October 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
As a European citizen, I am aware of the languages in this part of the world which are similar. But I haven't
got a clue about African languages. Somebody could tell me they speak X, Y and Z and I would have to take
that at face value.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 178 of 299
27 October 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I believe that the simplest criterion for distinguishing language and dialect is simply administrative recognition. This has nothing to do with linguistic reality. We can say that Danish, Swedish and Norwegian are separate languages regardless of questions of degree of mutual intelligibility simply because these are officially recognized languages. I know that this does not do justice to the realities on the ground, but it simplifies the whole debate. This, of course, has always been my position of the Balkan languages question.
Have you ever read anything about the differences between Serbian and Croatian? And between Croatian and Bosnian? Have you read the logs of Team Divan?
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 179 of 299
27 October 2013 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Good Heavens! I'm sorry I brought up this Balkan language question. Mea culpa. It was discussed to death about 5
pages back. This is what happens when you come late to the party.

Edited by s_allard on 27 October 2013 at 3:23pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 180 of 299
27 October 2013 at 3:05am | IP Logged 
I've read it all, yes. The only thing I saw is that you have no clue what you're talking about.
5 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 181 of 299
27 October 2013 at 5:28am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I doubt if many will agree, but I've always thought that spoken American English and
spoken British English will eventually have diverged so much that they could be
considered separate languages, or at least, distinctly different dialects.

This will happen much more slowly if only the written language is considered.

It's true of course that the internet, movies and TV slow down the divergence, to some
extent, but, for example, how much general American culture does the average Briton
really get exposed to? Probably not as much as we imagine.

We see the mainstream movies and TV (some of us), and the major news stories from
Washington and New York, but how much do we know about the deep south, or the Rockies,
or the mid-west, for example?

And vice-versa, of course.

We adopt some American linguistic usages, but not others, and our two versions of
English continue to develop in different directions.

The USA also has the interesting influence of Spanish, a highly significant "minority"
language, which is something we don't have. (And US Spanish has itself diverged
somewhat from Latin American Spanish, which in turn has diverged somewhat from
Peninsulan Spanish, so those are potentially two or three more "separate languages"
that used to be one.

With reference to the post immediately preceding this one, please, let's not revisit the debate about the ex-
Yugoslavian languages unless there is something new to be said. Been there, done that. We've moved on.

Insofar as American and British English are concerned, it might be interesting to note that as early as 1921, H.L.
Mencken wrote The American Language that one can read online here. The
American Language

I think a solid argument could be made for British English and American English being two distinct languages

I should also point out that French translations of American works often say "Traduit de l'américain" as opposed
to "Traduit de l'anglais" for works from British English. I'm not sure what they say about the other varieties of
English.

Edited by s_allard on 27 October 2013 at 6:22am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 182 of 299
27 October 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
@s_allard:

Thanks for the Mencken link.

Just to add that I think that if they aren't now, then the trend is inexorably in that
direction, in spite of other factors mitigating against it. They probably won't be
recognised as such in my lifetime, but perhaps in the generation or two following. And
similarly with North American / Latin American Spanish / Peninsula Spanish.
Of course a lot will probably depend upon developments in geopolitics, about which we
can only speculate now.

For obvious reasons, it is quite a different situation to that in the Balkans or
Scandinavia.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 183 of 299
27 October 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I believe that the simplest criterion for
distinguishing language and dialect is simply administrative recognition. This has
nothing to do with linguistic reality. We can say that Danish, Swedish and Norwegian
are separate languages regardless of questions of degree of mutual intelligibility
simply because these are officially recognized languages. I know that this does not do
justice to the realities on the ground, but it simplifies the whole debate. This, of
course, has always been my position of the Balkan languages question.
Have you
ever read anything about the differences between Serbian and Croatian? And between
Croatian and Bosnian? Have you read the logs of Team Divan?

I think the big problem with that question is that it's political, and in that sense, I
am inclined to agree with Chung on how BCMS/SC functions. I don't know your viewpoint
on the latter but would like to see it, perhaps you could motivate it?

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 184 of 299
27 October 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Mencken's use of the term American language was not based on any linguistic analysis. He simply believed that
the English spoken in the US contained so much distinctive content, especially vocabulary, that it had taken on a
quintessentialyl American character. The American language is the language that best expresses America. The
question of intelligibility with British or any other variety of English is irrelevant.

There is something of an equation Country = Language. This of course is why we have that eternal controversy
about the Balkan languages.

But we also have countries without a single dominant or official language and many countries that share a
linguistic code inherited from a colonial period.. This leads to a certain ambiguity of usage when referring to the
various varieties of a given language. This is important to us at HTLAL when we have to choose which variety of
the spoken language to learn.

With respect to Spanish materials, I've noticed two approaches to this problem. One approach claims to teach the
Spanish language that is the same everywhere with some minute differences from country to country. The
Spanish taught is usually European Spanish. The other approach is to teach Latin American Spanish with
somewhat complete disregard for European Spanish.

When learning spoken Spanish you have to choose your preference at some point. You can't do both varieties.
North Americans will tend to go for Latin American Spanish whereas Europeans will opt for European Spanish.
And then we have many books and websites devoted to the vocabulary of specific countries, especially for
Mexican Spanish

I've noticed a similar sort of trend for English where there is ton of learning material that says explicitly
American English and not just English. Similarly, Assimil and other producers of methods are publishing stuff
labelled Brazilian Portuguese.

In passing, I should note that there are nearly no teaching materials in English for Quebec French,

Rather than use the term divergence of these national varieties or dialects, I like to think of convergence or
consolidation towards national standards. This convergence within a country obviously leads to divergence
relative to other varieties. Where you have locally produced dictionaries and grammar books you have the
foundations for a national standard. This is already the case in American English.

I suspect that in the Balkans the history of political animosity may lead to explicit attempts such as spelling
reforms, invention of new words and creation of teaching materials for schools in order to create distinct national
standards.

As we can see the issue of what is a language hinges on a combination of linguistic and political or historical
factors. As an interesting example of how linguistics, politics and geography interplay, here is an extract from
the Wikipedia entry for Portuguese.

"The closest language to Portuguese is Galician, spoken in the autonomous community of Galicia (northwestern
Spain). The two were at one time a single language, known today as Galician-Portuguese, but since the political
separation of Portugal from Galicia they have diverged, especially in pronunciation and vocabulary. But there is
still a linguistic continuity, the variant of galego referred to as "galego-português baixo-limiao" spoken in
several galician villages between the municipalities of Entrimo and Lobios and the transborder region of the
natural park of Peneda-Gerês/Xurês. "Considered a rarity, a living vestige of the medieval language that ranged
from Cantabria to Mondego[...]".[87] As reported by UNESCO, due to the pressure of the Spanish language in the
standard official version of the Galician language, the Galician language was in the verge of disapearing.[88]
According to Unesco´s philologist Tapani Salminen, the proximity with the Portuguese language makes Galician
a special language that is protected due to its proximity to the Portuguese language. [89] Nevertheless, the core
vocabulary and grammar of Galician are still noticeably closer to Portuguese than to those of Spanish. In
particular, like Portuguese, it uses the future subjunctive, the personal infinitive, and the synthetic pluperfect.
Mutual intelligibility (estimated at 85% by R. A. Hall, Jr., 1989)[90] is very good between Galicians and northern
Portuguese, but less so between Galicians and Brazilians. Nevertheless, many linguists still consider Galician to
be a co-dialect of the Portuguese language. The government of Galicia has passed a law making the Portuguese
language mandatory at all the school levels, intended to encourage the use of Portuguese at all levels of Galician
society. Galicia will also become a full member of the CPLP (countries in the world that speak Portuguese)."

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version