299 messages over 38 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 35 ... 37 38 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 273 of 299
04 November 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Why does it matter that we all agree what a polyglot is? Do you care whether I can or
cannot?

Does it matter to you?
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 274 of 299
04 November 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Why does it matter that we all agree what a polyglot is? Do you care whether I can or
cannot?

Does it matter to you?

I tried my best. We have been recently discussing what it means to be a polyglot. I poliitely made some simple
suggestions and this is what I get.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5122 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 275 of 299
04 November 2013 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
As for my demanding a C1, as I said it was just a suggestion. We can make it B1, B2 or whatever. Make a
suggestion.

I had so far assumed that polyglot was someone who could sustain a conversation comfortably in at least 4 languages including his own. I do not remember where I saw it, but I also seem to remember that the threshhold for speaking comfortably was suggested at B1. I would at least sell my soul to the highest bidder if I could thruthfully say that I was at a B1 level in Russian - and I would definitely say that I could speak it.

But I suppose that much like fluency we have 40 different ways of defining that.

On a different note I see that we all have different ways of discussing, and we sometimes come off a little harsher than we intend to. Let us interpret eachother's words in the most positive way possible, shall we? :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 276 of 299
04 November 2013 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
I'll drink to @Solfrid Cristin's suggestion. Four languages at B1 level qualifies one as a polyglot.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 277 of 299
04 November 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Why does it matter that we all agree what a polyglot
is? Do you care whether I can or
cannot?

Does it matter to you?

I tried my best. We have been recently discussing what it means to be a polyglot. I
poliitely made some simple

Well? It's a question. Why does a definition actually matter? If people call me a
polyglot or not, I will still do whatever I'm doing. If that means I get shoved into
whatever mental category people have of me, so be it.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 278 of 299
04 November 2013 at 5:05pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
s_allard wrote:
tarvos wrote:
Why does it matter that we all agree what a polyglot
is? Do you care whether I can or
cannot?

Does it matter to you?

I tried my best. We have been recently discussing what it means to be a polyglot. I
poliitely made some simple

Well? It's a question. Why does a definition actually matter? If people call me a
polyglot or not, I will still do whatever I'm doing. If that means I get shoved into
whatever mental category people have of me, so be it.

Let me try to answer this question. We are in a discussion forum. It seems to me that definitions are
important in discussions so that we know what we are talking about. How can we discuss if we can't at least
agree to some common meanings for the words we use?

We've just had a long, interesting and sometimes heated debate over what constitutes a distinct language as
opposed to a variant of a language. I've taken position A and other people have taken position B. The
purpose of all this was to decide what is a real polyglot as opposed to a false polyglot.

More recently, the discussion has turned to what constitutes a polyglot, a term that we have been using
constantly without definition. This has nothing to do with whether I care about anything. I really don't care
what people do with their lives. I care about my own.

What I do care about is trying to have an amicable discussion about what it means to be a polyglot. I
suggested four languages at C1. Everyone jumped on me. Taking someone's suggestion, I said two and the
ability to travel in them. Not much of a response. Finally, at @Solfrid Cristin's urging, we have four
languages at B1 level. I'm comfortable with that. Are there any other proposals? If everybody can agree that
this is a minimalist definition of a polyglot, then we can move on to other topics.

Nobody is shoving anybody into any mental categories. Everybody can keep on doing as they please.

Edited by s_allard on 05 November 2013 at 2:24pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6993 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 279 of 299
05 November 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I'll drink to @Solfrid Cristin's suggestion.

If you're talking about drinking, then you should probably use the definition of an alcoholic - someone who drinks more than you do. A polyglot is someone who speaks more.

Edited by luke on 05 November 2013 at 9:16am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6491 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 280 of 299
05 November 2013 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Why does it matter that we all agree what a polyglot is?

Does at it matter whether any word has a stable and usable definition? Is it necessary that we agree on the definition of a word? A polyglot? The subject of a sentence? Nominative?

Personally I don't care about the definition of offside in football (soccer), but for those who play or watch the game it seems to be quite important, and it can actually have dire economical consequences whether a specific action on the battlefield is accepted as offside or not.

In the case of language definitions it matters a lot to those who have learnt and like a certain way of speaking whether that way of speaking is defined as a language or not, because the answer may decide whether there will be public funding of schools and .. ok, it may also be a matter of national pride. And it may matter in job applications if some persons underplay their cards while others take credit for even the most shaky skills.

The definition of polyglot is based on the definition of what a language is - it is a person with "many" languages. We can discuss what 'many' is, but this is where the general baselevel of people around you plays a role - "many" must be more than the average number of languages, and at least for me the diversity also is relevant (this being said in spite of the fact that this criterion doesn't really favor myself).

Similarly the definition might be relevant for job applicants, but I personally won't ever have to write one again so I could in principle have left an empty language list to the left. But from the moment I write a list I want it to be as accurate as possible, and then it matters whether others base their lists on totally different criteria - both upwards and downwards. If I accept B1 as 'speaks' then I feel that I cheat if everyone else fill out the list based on a criterion of C1. But in this case I can give a solid argumentation for using B1 rather than C1, namely that I have had long discussions about weird topics in languages where I know I have (or had) serious problems. Like on my trip to Romania and Moldova in 2006, where I hardly had restarted my language studies, but managed to survive several such discussions with something that objectively seen can't have superseeded a mere A2. So C1 would be overkill seen from my perspective.

Does it matter at all whether you are a polyglot or not? Well, some monoglots have had extraordinary skills in nonlinguistic spheres, and some monoglots have even had a lot of influence in linguistics. And some polyglots could in principle be extremely versatile measured on the number of their languages without being able to say anything sensible in any of them. Some monoglots can't either, even though they should have had time to learn it in the time they didn't study languages.

For me the term 'polyglot' simply signifies that I have accomplished something I find relevant and spent a lot of time on, namely learning languages AND using them actively. This activity is part of my identity in the same way as mathematics and chess and painting and composing music were in earlier periodes and travelling still is. And I know that there are people who have learnt more languages and who can speak them both more fluently and more correctly so I notice with glee that I don't have to worry about winning any competitions - I hate competitions, so that's fine with me.

But I would not be happy if the definition of something I actually spend so much time on would be changed dramatically in a way that either made my achievements irrelevant or ridiculous - and that's why I'm squarely against the idea that you have to pass formal tests and also against extreme opinions on the number of languages you need to have on your CV.

Edited by Iversen on 06 November 2013 at 11:57am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 299 messages over 38 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version