United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4469 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 73 of 126
20 December 2013 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
It probably also helps for French <-> Spanish that the two languages mostly share genders for the huge number of words that they have in common.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 74 of 126
20 December 2013 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
s_allard, have you ever learned about the theoretical English grammar though? not just the practical, which obviously doesn't focus on the gender? (I don't think ESL textbooks even bother to point out that English has separate words for he and she, assuming everyone knows this already)
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 75 of 126
20 December 2013 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
On the disappearance of grammatical gender, people don't have to take my word for it. You only have to look up
gender in English, as in this quote from Wikipedia:

"Gender in Old English[

Old English had a system of grammatical gender similar to that of modern German, with three genders:
masculine, feminine, neuter. Determiners and attributive adjectives showed gender inflection in agreement with
the noun they modified. Also the nouns themselves followed different declension patterns depending on their
gender. Moreover the third-person personal pronouns, as well as interrogative and relative pronouns, were
chosen according to the grammatical gender of their antecedent.
For details of the declension patterns and pronoun systems, see Old English grammar.
Decline of grammatical gender[edit]

By the 11th century, the role of grammatical gender in Old English was beginning to decline.[1] The Middle
English of the 13th century was in transition to the loss of a gender system.[2][3] One element of this process
was the change in the functions of the words the and that (then spelt þe and þat; see also Old English
determiners): previously these had been non-neuter and neuter forms respectively of a single determiner, but in
this period the came to be used generally as a definite article and that as a demonstrative; both thus ceased to
manifest any gender differentiation.[4] The loss of gender classes was part of a general decay of inflectional
endings and declensional classes by the end of the 14th century.[5] While inflectional reduction seems to have
been incipient in the English language itself, some theories suggest that it was accelerated by contact with Old
Norse, especially in midland and northern dialects.[6]

Gender loss began in the north of England; the south-east and the south-west Midlands were the most
linguistically conservative regions, and Kent retained traces of gender in the 1340s.[2] Late 14th-century London
English had almost completed the shift away from grammatical gender,[2] and Modern English retains no
morphological agreement of words with grammatical gender.[5]"

Note the last sentence: ...and Modern English retains no morphological agreement of words with grammatical
gender.

6 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6960 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 76 of 126
20 December 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I genuinely don't get how one can confound natural gender (or "semantic gender"?) and grammatical gender considering that the latter implies morphological marking whereas the former need not do so. It's clear enough to me, and what s_allard posts about the difference in this area between English and French (and Spanish and German) is uncontroversial.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4860 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 77 of 126
20 December 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

When I read Das Buch, Le
livre, El libro, Ein Buch, Un livre, Un libro, etc., I see grammatical gender markings in the determinant articles
that have nothing to do with sex. On the other hand, in The book, and A book, where is the gender indicated?

And when I see Latin "liber", how is the masculine gender marked?
s_allard wrote:

According to the theory here,despite the absence of any markings, the gender of English nouns is evident
because it is sex-based. Then "book" has a sex that everybody knows. This is astonishing and flies in the face of
everything that has been said about gtammatical gender in English.

It doesn't have a sex, thus it is neutre.
s_allard wrote:

If wife, daughter and girl are feminine and husband, son and boy masculine by sex, why can we say:
his wife, his daughter, his girl or her husband, her son and her boy? Here the possessive adjective has to agree
with the gender of the referent and not with the gender of the adjacent noun. In languages with grammatical
gender, the possessive adjectives must agree with the adjacent noun. So, in French one says sa femme, sa fille,
sa jeune fille or son mari, son fils and son jeune homme.

Oh, really?! If it is the case, Russians speak a genderless language. What a discovery!
And let's recall Latin "eius": uxor ejus, maritus ejus... Latin does not have genders, you know?
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4511 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 78 of 126
20 December 2013 at 11:52am | IP Logged 
Quote:
And when I see Latin "liber", how is the masculine gender marked?

You know as well as I do that not all languages mark gender through the article, but
through noun suffixes. I'm not sure about the Latin adjectives, it's too long ago, but
taking Russian as an example: the -ый suffix indicates masculinity. And many Russian
words (masculine ones) have a null ending which means masculinity.

In English the article is always the same, but the noun can have gender that is
attributed based on sex. It is the same in Hebrew, where the article is bound to the
noun, but it is always -H(a). However in Hebrew nouns do have masculine or feminine
gender which is indicated by suffixes, not by the article.

In Dutch, nouns have gender, but the possessives agree with the owner, not with the
noun being referred to; Zijn boek, haar boek (not zijn boek because het boek is
neuter).

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 79 of 126
20 December 2013 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Oh, really?! If it is the case, Russians speak a genderless language. What a discovery!
And let's recall Latin "eius": uxor ejus, maritus ejus... Latin does not have genders, you know?

The question isn't whether Russian, Latin or English is genderless but what is the nature of gender in these
languages. The key concept here is grammatical gender. Everybody agrees that English, (and probably all or most
languages) acknowledges biological or, as Chung pointed out, semantic gender. This is manifested primarily in
the pronouns and possessive adjectives. There are some rare remnants in certain noun suffixes as in actress and
aviatrix but even these are dying out.

What is true --and probably the source of the confusion here -- is that certain words are associated with male
or female biological gender: man, woman, mother, father, etc. The names of certain professions have also been
associated with genders. Historically, nurse in English was associated with women and engineer with men. This of
course has been changing.

It is also interesting to note that the suffix -man as in chairman, policeman, fisherman and fireman is
disappearing because of the evolution towards non-sexist language as in chairperson or chair, police officer,
fisher and firefighter.

That is how gender works in English. As I stated before, one can make quite easily make English relatively gender
neutral by modifying the pronouns and the possessive adjectives.

On the other hand--and I'm sorry to repeat this--grammamtical gender refers to a system of morphological
markings of various words based on the classification of the referent or antecedent into what has been
historically --and unfortunately--called gender.

I say unfortunately because it should really be called noun class because that is what it is. I prefer to say for
example that French has two noun classes. LE words and LA words and eschew completely the words feminine
and masculine.

What complicates things of course and has provoked endless debate is the fact that in languages with
grammatical genter, semantic gender is grammatically manifested by the determiner article and often a noun
suffix. For example, in French a nurse is either "un infirmier" or "une infirmière." I should note in passing that
English used "male nurse" to differentiate the men from the women in that profession but even that is dying out
where I live.

If I may repeat myself, grammatical gender refers to the whole system of morphologiical or syntactic constraints
on the entire phrase and based on the category of the key word. I can't comment on Russian but anybody who
has studied any Romance language knows that one of the biggest complications is mastering the system of
grammatical agreement.

Why is mastering grammatical gender in other languages a nightmare for speakers of English? Unlike English
where one only has to keep track of the odd "he" :she: :his" and "her," in a language like French you have to
continuously adjust word endings or even use different words to maintain agreement.

If I look at these paragraphs that I have just written, I have not once had to think about gender-related
morphology. Had I written the same thing in French every sentence would have required that I choose the proper
form for articles, adjectives and participles.

This is probably the number one reason why English is such an easy language for people coming from a language
with grammatical gender. English has its complications of course, but I would think that from the point of view of
grammar, Russian grammar with with its gender and cases is far more daunting for the English speaker than
English grammar is for the Russian speaker.

English isn't genderless. It has semantic gender with some grammatical implications. But this is not the same as
grammatical gender and is totally unlike anything found in languages with true grammatical gender.

Edited by s_allard on 20 December 2013 at 2:10pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 80 of 126
20 December 2013 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
I genuinely don't get how one can confound natural gender (or "semantic gender"?) and grammatical gender considering that the latter implies morphological marking whereas the former need not do so. It's clear enough to me, and what s_allard posts about the difference in this area between English and French (and Spanish and German) is uncontroversial.
And nobody denies the difference. It's just that the presence or absence of a grammatical feature isn't defined by how much it bothers the learners or by how "noticeable" it is. (are you sure grammatical gender implies *morphological* marking? then if German used nothing but the articles, it would have no gender?)
s_allard, do you think that English also has no cases? It has the common and the possessive ones. And some remnants of the old dative.

Edited by Serpent on 20 December 2013 at 3:48pm

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version