126 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 ... 15 16 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4512 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 81 of 126
20 December 2013 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
It partially marks them along with noun
suffixes
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5033 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 82 of 126
20 December 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
And when I see Latin "liber", how is the masculine gender marked?

Second declension nouns ending in -er are masculine.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4861 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 83 of 126
20 December 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

s_allard, do you think that English also has no cases? It has the common and the
possessive ones. And some remnants of the old dative.

I don't think this can be called a case.

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5033 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 84 of 126
20 December 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
English has remnants of cases in its pronouns. Whether or not you call that possessing a case is up to you--what is clear is that this is vastly different than the vibrant and wide-ranging case systems of Russian and German.

Edited by ScottScheule on 20 December 2013 at 5:36pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6961 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 85 of 126
20 December 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Chung wrote:
I genuinely don't get how one can confound natural gender (or "semantic gender"?) and grammatical gender considering that the latter implies morphological marking whereas the former need not do so. It's clear enough to me, and what s_allard posts about the difference in this area between English and French (and Spanish and German) is uncontroversial.
And nobody denies the difference. It's just that the presence or absence of a grammatical feature isn't defined by how much it bothers the learners or by how "noticeable" it is. (are you sure grammatical gender implies *morphological* marking? then if German used nothing but the articles, it would have no gender?)
s_allard, do you think that English also has no cases? It has the common and the possessive ones. And some remnants of the old dative.

There is a difference between nominative masculine der and dative masculine dem with the -m of the latter related to masculine/neuter adjective endings *-mmai (singular) and *-imaz (plural) of Proto-Germanic. I'm pretty sure that's morphological marking.

If there were some hypothetical German variant for which it'd be grammatical to utter *Das Mann ist alt. / *Das Frau ist alt (instead of Der Mann ist alt / Die Frau ist alt) or *Das Bleistift steht neben das Buch / *Das Bleistift steht neben das Uhr (instead of Der Bleistift steht neben dem Buch / Der Bleistift steht neben der Uhr) then one would be hard pressed to conclude that the sentences with the asterisk imply grammatical gender based on the articles. However, the articles' actual alternation depening on the following noun suggest otherwise (obviously grammatical gender can align with semantic gender but in many cases it doesn't).

I'm starting to think like s_allard on this in that it'd help a hell of a lot if we consider these distinctions to be part of noun classes (especially considering that gender in the modern IE languages that we're familiar with most likely arose from a distinction between animacy and inanimacy in Proto-IE anyway) because of the divergence between natural/semantic gender and grammatical gender. The problem seems now with the term 'gender' is that it seems even more loaded with the development of modern feminism thus merging a dry linguistic phenomenon with what's related to what's between someone's legs, to put it crudely.

It also seems to be a bit of a non-sequitur to equate one's position on English's lack grammatical gender with the take on English lacking cases. Why insist that the distinction still observed in some pronouns (e.g. "me" vs. "I") and the "Saxon genitive" (e.g. "Chung's" vs. "Chung") to be something other than case marking, limited as it is?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3837 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 86 of 126
20 December 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
[QUOTE=Марк] ...

This is probably the number one reason why English is such an easy language for people coming from a language
with grammatical gender. English has its complications of course, but I would think that from the point of view of
grammar, Russian grammar with with its gender and cases is far more daunting for the English speaker than
English grammar is for the Russian speaker.

read this:
http://www.sfs.uni-tuebingen.de/~gjaeger/lehre/ws0910/langua gesOfTheWorld/morphologicalTypology.pdf

The only thing I will give you is gender and having to modify adjectives and nouns for gender and remembering
each and every gender, but a case system is neither folly nor superior to the alternatives, a language without a case
system needs other methods. Lack of morphology is not a lack of ability. The difficulty of such is perceived. Most
conjugating languages are pro drop so I see it as adding the person at the end of the verb and when combined with
another tense, another small bit is added.
The problem can be irregularities but all languages have them in each's area. Hearing this over and over makes it
harder for me to learn Cantonese further since it always brings back memories of stuff I read like the above.

English has grammaticalized aspect to a larger degree, which is very common for uninflecting languages (Thai has
no tenses, plurals, or conjugations but more than a dozen aspect helping words). I could go into detail on the
possibilities of English syntax, gerunds, and ACI sentences not found as often in relatives of English.
http://www.thai-language.com/id/590262

I would dare say a genderless French or Russian would be in the same area as English in difficulty. It is precisely the
gender than I can narrow it down to.

I do agree with how you identify gender in English though.
English lacks a gender system in the same way other Indo-Euro languages have. I would like to question whether
English is fine without gender FOR the native speaker's culture (like Finnish or Hungarian) or would best admit it as
a deficiency. Analytic languages tend to have counting words, is that a possibility or future of English?

Edited by Stolan on 20 December 2013 at 7:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 87 of 126
20 December 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
You're not learning Russian though?
I'd say the concept of an article is as hard to internalize as the one of gender. And of course in Russian there are also the aspects, which semantically correspond to the English simple/perfect distinction.

Both Russian and English are probably a bit easier for native speakers of Romance languages than for each other's.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3837 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 88 of 126
21 December 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
The problem is that English is a bit too different compared to her surrounding relatives. I imagine English would do
better originating in Asia, that way, counting words would be picked up through sino influence. I have a hard time
believing people who claim they found English easier than a closely related language, they usually give the closely
related language the same standard of fluency as their own but have no way to mete such with English. Gender is
the main non-feature I can only give English, and I don't know what this may do to the future of the anglophone
culture in the eyes of others.

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version