Triglot
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 126
18 December 2013 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
I would remind people that what we are discussing here is technically called grammatical gender, meaning that it
has nothing to do with any characteristics of the objects named but simply morphological markings. In fact, we
could even speak of noun classes instead of gender.

The reason for using the term grammatical gender is the existence in most languages that use such a feature of
a system of morphological constraints or agreement based on these rules of so-called gender. To learn that one
says LA fille and LE garçon in French is just the beginning. You have to remember that any adjective that refers to
these words much agree in gender. This is what makes the system complicated.

I hypothesize that the main reason for the dying out of the gender marking system in English was the
breakdown of the gender agreement or morphological marking system. Grammatical gender became superfluous
and disappeared.

Edited by s_allard on 18 December 2013 at 2:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3787 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 26 of 126
18 December 2013 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
 English has sex-based gender because there is a distinction between he, she and it. It
creates problems for speakers of languages without this distinction especially with words
like his and her.
"but as a native English speaker, to look at my car and think "He
is in the garage today" or "She needs snow tyres, and her muffler needs fixing" would
be very unintuitive".
But native English speakers often refer to ships or countries as "she", while it can be
strange to other people. It surprized me when I heard a translation of the Soviet anthem
and there were words "will honour HER name". Why "her"? In Russian Советский Союз (The
Soviet Union) is masculine!
Or The Holy Spirit is probably He in English, while it is It in greek and She in Hebrew.

VERY, VERY few nouns are referred to as "she" and even less as "he" in English. It seems that mostly ships and cars are feminine but even this example of gender in English is really not very important at all. If an English learner didn't learn this it really wouldn't be a big deal.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 27 of 126
18 December 2013 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
Well but personification clearly has to do with the characteristics of the objects named. And to some extent it happens in the grammatical gender too - the word for flower was masculine in Latin, but apart from Italian it became feminine in pretty much all Romance languages, presumably because flowers are associated with feminine characteristics (that's what my Latin prof, an amazing polyglot, told us at least). And then there's the usual example of ladies being neutral in German until they get married. Yes, it's because of those diminutive suffixes, but why do the normal, default words contain them?

So yes, it's grammar. But sexism is part of it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4846 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 28 of 126
18 December 2013 at 9:15am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I would remind people that what we are discussing here is technically called grammatical gender, meaning that it
has nothing to do with any characteristics of the objects named but simply morphological markings. In fact, we

The reason for using the term grammatical gender is the existence in most languages that use such as feature of
a system of morphological constraints or agreement based on these rules of so-called gender. To learn that one
says LA fille and LE garçon in French is just the beginning. You have to remember that any adjective that refers to

I hypothesize that the main reason for the dying out of the gender marking system in English was the
breakdown of the gender agreement or morphological marking system. Grammatical gender became superfluous
and disappeared.

Different pronouns for different nouns is also a feature of gender. "John" is a masculine noun in English because it is invariably replaced by the pronoun "he" and it is a grammar mistake to use "she" or "it" here. So, we can say that words which refer to people (and a few other words) are masculine or feminine depending on the sex, and other words are neutre. It is called "sex-based gender". Many languages do not have separate pronouns like "he", "she" and "it". And it is hard for their speakers to use the third-person-singular pronouns in English correctly. French has sex-based and formal-based gender.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 29 of 126
18 December 2013 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Well but personification clearly has to do with the characteristics of
the objects named. And to some extent it happens in the grammatical gender too - the
word for flower was masculine in Latin, but apart from Italian it became feminine in
pretty much all Romance languages, presumably because flowers are associated with
feminine characteristics (that's what my Latin prof, an amazing polyglot, told us at
least). And then there's the usual example of ladies being neutral in German until they
get married. Yes, it's because of those diminutive suffixes, but why do the normal,
default words contain them?

Sorry, but I really don't buy that argument. Personification has nothing to do with
gender in my view. It's just a quirk of that language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 30 of 126
18 December 2013 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
s_allard wrote:
I would remind people that what we are discussing here is technically called
grammatical gender, meaning that it

The reason for using the term grammatical gender is the existence in most languages that use such as feature of

and disappeared.

Different pronouns for different nouns is also a feature of gender. "John" is a masculine noun in English because
it is invariably replaced by the pronoun "he" and it is a grammar mistake to use "she" or "it" here. So, we can say
that words which refer to people (and a few other words) are masculine or feminine depending on the sex, and
other words are neutre. It is called "sex-based gender". Many languages do not have separate pronouns like "he",
"she" and "it". And it is hard for their speakers to use the third-person-singular pronouns in English correctly.
French has sex-based and formal-based gender.

Just to be picky here, "John" is not a masculine noun. "John" refers to a masculine person. These are two different
concepts. The few gender markings in English indicate the sex of the person or being referred to. In a
grammatical gender system, the word is marked for so-called gender regardless of any biological feature of the
referent. This is exactly why some observers prefer to use the idea of noun class and not speak of gender at all.
3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4412 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 31 of 126
18 December 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
John can also be a noun meaning a toilet or the client of a prostitute.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6387 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 32 of 126
18 December 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Well but personification clearly has to do with the characteristics of
the objects named. And to some extent it happens in the grammatical gender too - the
word for flower was masculine in Latin, but apart from Italian it became feminine in
pretty much all Romance languages, presumably because flowers are associated with
feminine characteristics (that's what my Latin prof, an amazing polyglot, told us at
least). And then there's the usual example of ladies being neutral in German until they
get married. Yes, it's because of those diminutive suffixes, but why do the normal,
default words contain them?

Sorry, but I really don't buy that argument. Personification has nothing to do with
gender in my view. It's just a quirk of that language.
Which language? Which kind of gender? What exactly are you referring to?

Personification is different but it's obviously related. Because when there's a grammatical gender, the personification will always follow it.

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version