Tags: Gender | English
 Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
126 messages over 16 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 15 16 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4094 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 9 of 126
06 December 2013 at 10:59pm | IP Logged 
True, the "she" for ships is not because the noun is feminine, but it tries to give the
ship a human character. I think this also pertains to how in English, some call their
country "Motherland", but that is just figurative speech to apport a patriotic tone
instead of simply using "country" or "nation", not because the word itself is feminine
in gender.

The Australians sometimes (or more often than sometimes) use the acronym "pom" for
people from England, the origin whereof is derived from the term "Mother England".

In written English, especially in a book, calling a ship "she" or "her" for nominative
would sound very strange. In the UK, I have never seen this outside of novels or
creative writing. In a civil or maritine engineering book, I would be very surprised if
"she" was used for a ship, i.e. "Her velocities range from 150-200 km/h" would look
very odd.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3836 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 10 of 126
07 December 2013 at 9:14am | IP Logged 
Should English have gender though? Ought it? We could use something to assign a standard to each word. Measure
words maybe? Non-gender noun classes? What could be there to use in the future. I admit this stems from
fascination and envy both.
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4469 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 11 of 126
08 December 2013 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
In written English, especially in a book, calling a ship "she" or "her" for
nominative would sound very strange. In the UK, I have never seen this outside of novels
or creative writing. In a civil or maritine engineering book, I would be very surprised
if "she" was used for a ship, i.e. "Her velocities range from 150-200 km/h" would look
very odd.

Using "she" for a ship or aircraft seems perfectly natural to me.

A quick google threw up many such examples just on the beeb's website, here's one for
Concorde: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24629451.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3856 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 126
08 December 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
To dampingwire,

Yes, an English speaker may, "by custom" or "by choice", but NOT "by necessity", use the pronoun "she" when referring to ships, aeroplanes, railway steam engines, old automobiles, hospital gurneys, hurricanes, cats, dogs, and any other manner of things, according to the degree of affection that they feel towards these objects, be they concrete or abstract. However, NONE of these can be said to serve as an example of grammatical "gender" in English, which simply does not exist!   They are all examples of the grammatical device "personification", that is: the attribution of a personal nature or human characteristics to something nonhuman, or the representation of an abstract quality in human form.
4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4094 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 13 of 126
08 December 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Right, ships and even pets are technically and officially "it", although the latter can
have gender according to its biological gender, but inanimate objects, like natural
storms, food, books, etc. only have an objective feeling whereto some apport a gender
as a type of personalisation. Like in Spanish "el coche" or French "la voiture", one
cannot technically and officially correctly say, "I cannot find my car. Did you see
her?" or put a sign in the neighbourhood stating, "Lost car, blue paint, 1974 model,
sedan. If you find him, please telephone me."

English noun gender I refer to something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.
org/wiki/Old_English_grammar#Strong_nouns

That seems to be the last time that English had noun gender. I suppose that English
speajers back then had less problems with other languages, but insofar I have not seen
any accounts from anyone back then who documented any experience about anything like
that.

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4838 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 14 of 126
16 December 2013 at 5:26pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
By the way, I don't think there was a point in history when the Anglo-Saxons decided genders were stupid and hence abolished them. English lost its gender system gradually due to general linguistic change caused by the Norman conquest in 1066.

I don't understand how this could be the cause. Obviously, English lost grammatical genders, but I'm confused that the French conquest (good word, that) would have caused it since French itself has grammatical gender.

Without derailing the topic too much, can someone help explain this to me? Thank you.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4511 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 15 of 126
16 December 2013 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
It just stopped being used. The French brought words to English, but gender was probably
already on its way out by then. The languages changed so much over that time that somehow
gender was one of the things that got axed in the turmoil.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4472 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 16 of 126
16 December 2013 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

(French:
la voiture). I mean that one can look at, for example, François Hollande and Mariano
Rajoy, and say, respectively, "He is the President of France", or, "He is
the President of Spain." Likewise, one knows Erna Solberg or Michelle Bachelet, and say
,"She is the Prime Minister of Norway", or, "She is likely to be
President of Chile", but as a native English speaker, to look at my car and think "He
is in the garage today" or "She needs snow tyres, and her muffler needs fixing" would
be very unintuitive.

But, as stated before, sometimes, the feminine gender is still used with objects:

''Why I Love America...
You ask me why I love her? Well, give me time. I’ll explain. Have you seen a Kansas sunset, or an Arizona rain?'' (John Mitchum)

''America And Her Allies Stand Opposed To Kurdish Aspirations'' (news article)

''America and her resources: or, A view of the agricultural, commercial, manufacturing, financial, political, literary, moral and religious capacity and character of the American people'' (Google eBook)

''On her maiden voyage, she carried 2,224 passengers and crew.'' (Wikipedia on Titanic)

In poetic writing, a "ship", a "car", and a "country" can be used in feminine gender, so they're potentially feminine. Other nouns like ''sun'' are not, because you can never come across things like ''the sun and her rays''...

Edited by Medulin on 16 December 2013 at 8:33pm

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version