30 posts - 35 votes

Message 113 of 126
06 January 2014 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Papashaw1 wrote:
I think losing gender may be a sign of a language no longer being
used
for culture but just as a means of
communication. Relatively, not entirely. And some never got them. Nomadic Turkish
tribes
never settled in one
place in order to heavily influence their languages.

Huh?

How does that even compute?

I guess all Finns and Hungarians are uncultured and only talk for communication or
something.

It's just that English lost gender but these languages never had them, It is features of many languages to have
some sort of class system in their earlier stages whether counting words, gender, or animacy etc. but as far back as
can be seen in recorded history, I can't see them in the ancestors of many agglutinating Turkic or Uralic languages.
(Or Altaic if you believe in it) I am not calling them uncultured, but I think some sort of association method existed
for many languages in one way or the other. Or classing was a fluke that happened recently somehow for select
few.
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4325 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 114 of 126
06 January 2014 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Indeed, inflecting for case is no biggie, but gender multiplying the
adjective and cases factors to a triple really stick
out. Having the gender is tough, but agreeing for it? Couldn't they just refer to the
door as a she and leave it at
that? Ah but we can't expect things to make sense.

One word: disambiguation.
A guess you couldn't appreciate scaldic poems. Or Latin literature. Not agreeing for
gender and cases would make at least the former (almost) impossible to read.

Edited by daegga on 06 January 2014 at 11:50pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 115 of 126
07 January 2014 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
I can't really comment on the origins or even the development of grammatical gender, but there seems to be
quite a bit of literature on the subject. What many observers have also pointed out is how useless grammatical
gender agreement is in terms of adding information to the phrase. As much as *La beau voiture instead of La
belle voiture may hurt the ear of a native speaker of French, there is really no difference in meaning.

I tend to think that the systemization of gender agreement rules was probably the result of the development of
standardized grammars for schooling and literature. When you look at non-standard speech or dialects, you see
that the grammatical gender agreement is much looser. And when you look at all the French creoles,
grammatical gender agreement disappears completely.

Even in English where grammatical agreement centers on number and subject / object pronouns, there is quite a
bit of variability in actual usage. In addition to all the exceptions and special cases that learners of standard
English have to study, non-standard or dialectal English is full of examples of simplifications of grammatical
agreement. I'm thinking of things like: I is, you is, he is, I see she, I see he, I done go, I be gone, etc.

I wonder if there are similar things in those languages with those very complicated gender and case systems. I
would think that there must be some trends or forms of simplification in the spoken language.

This makes me think that in reality grammatical gender agreement systems are not as complex as they seem.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4094 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 116 of 126
07 January 2014 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
It is true that in non-standard English, dialetical English, and creole-style English,
especially in the British West Indies,
one can say, "Me goesd done them dinner cook already" instead of "I have already cooked
dinner", "I yes now goes picks them ting in store" instead of, "I shall now go to the
store to buy some produce", but these colloquialisms can never be used in standard
English, especially written English--i.e. I highly doubt anyone would write a
dissertation, thesis, legal report, accounting file, etc. with "Them files here yes for
you read", but gender is used in both colloquial and formal written discourse for
genders languages such as the Romance family, the Germanic family, etc.

Also one can construct their own colloquialisms like "I does goes" or whatever, and I
know this because my grandparents who were born in the British West Indies speak like
this, and I have heard it since I was born, but one cannot deliberately mess up gender
in nouns, adjectives, etc. in French or Spanish for it to be considered correct
standard speech. I doubt that any colloquialism exists in French where one can say,
«J'ai acheté un voiture» as a dialect either because it is done deliberately to sound
alarming or the speaker somehow never learnt basic noun gender despite being a native
speaker.

In some parts of Hispanoamerica, Andalucía, and Las Canarias, often the speakers there
leave out the plural <s> in Spanish, i.e. in Chile I often hear things such as, «Ello
trabajaban todo lo día», but this is not ignoring proper conjugations or noun
agreement, it simply is just that they leave off the <s> quite often in general.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 07 January 2014 at 3:05am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 117 of 126
07 January 2014 at 3:24am | IP Logged 
As I myself pointed out, the variations from rules of standard grammar are to be found in popular, uneducated and
dialectal speech. I have certainly not suggested that one can or should spontaneously use non-standard items in
situations that call for standard speech.

After a bit of poking around on the Net I did find a number of articles that looked at the loss or change of
grammatical gender agreement in languages in contact with other languages. Two well-studied examples are
Spanish and Russian in America. The case of American Russian, the language of second-generation immigrants, is
quite interesting because the case and gender system has nearly completely broken
down. (Sorry, I haven't gotten the link to work properly yet)

http://clo.canadatoyou.com/32/Pereltsvaig(2004)CLO32_87-107. pdf

Edited by s_allard on 07 January 2014 at 3:31am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4337 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 118 of 126
07 January 2014 at 8:52am | IP Logged 
John McWhorter, who is an expert in creole and contact languages, makes the argument in his book Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue that much of the simplification in English grammar came about due contact with Norse settlers in the North and East England.

He makes it clear in his book that his is a minority view, but it's an interesting read.

Edited by patrickwilken on 07 January 2014 at 8:52am

Stolan
United States
Joined 3836 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 119 of 126
07 January 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged 
I find some doubt in John Mcwhorter's words but I agree with some. He equates inflectional morphology too often,
and yes, allophones occurs, but aren't there other areas in any language? He seems to believe the drift towards
analyticalicy in Europe is not part of some cycle, they may be simplifying, but they may become inflecting simpler
languages in millennia!

Stream of conscious time:
English is simplifying along with Mandarin (shaved of classifiers and particles) and Persian and Indonesian had it
bad, maybe worse in my opinion. Spanish still conjugates, but it has only 5 vowels, 18 consonants, and is syllable
timed, and it is still very straightforward. But he reasons it isn't to far fetched to assume Spanish is more complex
than English, but..... well, they are both watered down in different areas. Spanish got it in pronunciation mostly.

I think what happened to English isn't unique when a language need become something simple enough for L2
learners. I think the bias towards inflection is still too strong and gets in the way of actually comparing the possible
complexities there are.

To S-Allard, again you equate cases and conjugations with grammatical complexity, ach, how often must I say it! It
is possible for a language to be highly inflection, regular, and genderless. And Analytical language can invest their
strengths elsewhere, English never got that chance since it didn't have time to get back on its feet. But I agree,
features can be pressed by prescriptivism. I really suspect the word order of verbal clusters in German is prescribed
since something like Swiss German has 1-2-3, 3-2-1, 1-3-2, 2-1-3, 1-2, 2-1, as variations, but the prescribed
order is only 3-2-1, and 1-3-2 for ersatz infinitives. Older German texts had instances of 1-2 like Dutch.

Which reminds me,
English word order is not being used to its fullest, there are many cases where we can play around with it but we
choose not to.
This whole thing should he get finished (OSV with v2.)
I, to Africa, leave. (SOV with location, same as in Cantonese, and they drop the preposition)
In Cantonese, it can be "I Africa go" and they don't conjugate yet they still say it even if it is a bit ambiguous.
Nothing said he (V2.)
We could use auxiliaries to create other orders too.
(Hit the man, the man did) (understandable)

But we don't so much. Native English speakers just are going with the flow a bit, I don't know how new features
come or how to implement them, and it can't be done. John Mcwhorter does mention what English has lost and I'll
add some too.

"be perfect, inalienable possession, gender, v2, become passive, hither and hence, yonder, indefinite man,
pronominal adverbs, prefixes, thou, inherent reflexives, simplified plurals, lack of umlauting in comparatives, and
modal particles, dear lord, modal particles are in Dutch too"

But Mcwhorter always mentions how English is so easy. He mentions Russian a lot, 3 gender (ok), word order(huh?)
how it is hard to pronounce (but are other languages hard for Russian to pronounce hmm?), verbs of motion (Don't
we have phrasal verbs?), cases and adjective inflection (the gender really multiplies the factors), conjugation (hear it
is pretty bad, I guess it is the stress, consonant shifts? Does he consider there might be pronunciation shifts in
English too that just aren't reflected in the orthography? Yes, I know it may be more irregular in Russian by miles)
Yes Russian is harder than English because it hasn't been smoothed over, but you cannot act as if these other
features are just different for you.

Could English have the potential of becoming a complex analytical language with even more vowels in the future if
native speakers "breed" it in that direction? (I entertain this though)

Reading his articles make me cringe. He joked about how non-natives speak better Engish (so original), Mandarin
is so complex to pronounce so it cannot be a lingua franca, I would just stop at the writing system, but even then,
it is no longer the same as was before, you don't need to memorize brushstrokes now.
(few vowels and no consonant clusters are a decent trade off for 4 tones) and he doesn't take into account a
speaker of a tonal language may find Mandarin pronunciation easier than western ones. He says English is easy to
pronounce unlike Czech with has a strange r sound (oh, so our 12 vowels and 8 diphthongs don't mean anything?)
etc.

He mentioned how algonquin languages are still polsynthetic like proto-algonquin, so he suspects that the change
in European languages is unusual now. He claimed languages mostly stayed the same for the most 150,000 years
they have existed (how could he know?), but now they loose inflection. And that asian languages that are
uninflecting are naturally tonal and filled with classifier as a counter balance (Chinese didn't have them in full use
during the Bronze age, and tones did not come around until a few centuries later), that they remain uninflected and
are not really changing or gaining inflections for a while. (new Mandarin plural marker -men doesn't count as a
suffix?)

As Strange as it seems, I feel like English articles could number more. We only have 3, German has 12, Spanish 8.
Instead of agreeing for gender, each articles could define a different definiteness, that would be cooler, why am I
thinking this hmmm? I think they do something like that in some Islander languages.

Edited by Stolan on 07 January 2014 at 10:59pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4094 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 120 of 126
07 January 2014 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
As I myself pointed out, the variations from rules of standard
grammar are to be found in popular, uneducated and
dialectal speech. I have certainly not suggested that one can or should spontaneously
use non-standard items in
situations that call for standard speech.

After a bit of poking around on the Net I did find a number of articles that looked at
the loss or change of
grammatical gender agreement in languages in contact with other languages. Two well-
studied examples are
Spanish and Russian in America. The case of American Russian, the language of second-
generation immigrants, is
quite interesting because the case and gender system has nearly completely broken
down. (Sorry, I haven't gotten the link to work properly yet)

http://clo.canadatoyou.com/32/Pereltsvaig(2004)CLO32_87-107. pdf

I do not imply that you meant that non-standard colloquialisms could be used in
standard speech, especially formal standard written language, what you said is true.
But what I meant was that gendered languages need their speakers to internalise gender
in nouns and branch this into adjectivial, adverbial, case, etc. agreements in grammar,
regardless of register. However, the non-standard English colloquialisms only rest
within their sphere of informal or dialectal speech, never entering the realm of
standard English, especially formal and/or written English. This is not the case with
French or Spanish--in formal speech, one obviously says "la belle voiture", but also in
dialetical or informal speech. There is no dialect or informal language in French
whereby one can completely ignore noun gender, or use only one article, or deliberately
or accidentally use the wrong gender for a noun and have the speech be acceptable. Same
for Spanish, Portuguese, the Germanic languages, etc. Should there exist such a dialect
whereby a gendered language can ignore gender, then stand I corrected. But I have never
encountered such a phenomenon that can be juxtaposed with non-standard English
colloquialisms.

There are some forms of English whereby the speaker uses incorrect grammar, sometimes
alarmingly and elementarily incorrect, in order to sound stylish. I have heard some
acquaintances deliberately use object pronouns in place of possessive pronouns, e.g.,
"I forgot me books in me house" or even creating new possessive pronouns, e.g., "Where
is yous car?" in place of, "Where is your car?", but I have never seen any dialect or
informal speech in a gendered language where they deliberately try to make mistakes
with regards to gender.

Old English had five cases, three genders, a dual form, and three word orders (SOV,
SVO, OVS), but Modern English seems to have simplified so greatly compared to other
languages, especially with regards to gender. Losing not only all three genders, but
the concept of noun gender completely. The only other language that I know that
somewhat lost genders is Dutch, which essentially, at least in cuotidane language, lost
its distinction between masculine and feminine from its original three genders of
masculine feminine, and neuter. Then it has "gendered", which is a combination of
masculine and feminine but with most speakers using a masculine article, and neuter,
which uses the neuter article.

Probably Old English speakers, if the language existed now, would have less trouble
with learning gendered languages (and probably cased languages as well).

Edited by 1e4e6 on 07 January 2014 at 11:26pm

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version