Joined 5185 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 41 of 126
19 December 2013 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
I agree with s allard.

"John" is only replaced by "he" when you are referring to John the person. "Where is John? He isn't here".

John as a slang noun for toilet would not be replaced by he. example: "I need the john. Where is it?"

2 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4861 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 42 of 126
19 December 2013 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

English does not have grammatical gender comparable to that of languages like French, Spanish or German. In
the case at hand, the only reason we know or assume that John is a so-called masculine noun is because we
assume that all people named John are men. The pronoun "he" refers to the sex of John. But look at the
sentence:

Madison is tall.

Is Madison a female or masculine noun? It's not indicated. anywhere. Take the sentence:

The car is nice. It is not expensive.

Are we to say that in English the word "car" has a neutral gender because we use the pronoun "it"?
"Boy" is not a masculine noun in English. "Girl' is not a feminne noun. They both refer to young people of a
certain gender. But this does make English a language with grammatical gender.

English has sex-based grammatical gender because it is UNGRAMMATICAL to use "she" or "it" for the word "boy". Many languages have only one word for "he", "she" and "it". French, Spanish have sex-based and formal-based gender. And the category of gender is incorporated much deeper than in English.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4512 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 43 of 126
19 December 2013 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
My understanding of languages with many noun classes might be
incomplete, but afaiu the word "defining" the class tends to be its most important
representative. So it would be more realistic to have the genders of Man, Sun and Moon
or something.

That's the usual way, but you can choose to deviate if you like.

Quote:
The concept of grammatical gender is not sexist. But how can it not be sexist
that two neutral, default words for ladies both are technically diminutives? (but
there's die Tochter and die Frau, reflecting the reality that back then a woman was
nothing without her father or husband) How is it not sexist that we add affixes to man-
something to denote woman-something? (and this one is changing, cf chairman vs
chairperson and many more like that in English)

Better question - how IS it sexist? Putting an affix behind something doesn't make it
sexist. Some languages use a female default, most languages a male historically. Some
can use either or a neuter, and some don't have gender, and some don't have noun
classes.

It doesn't mean anything that we used the male word as a basis (or the female word) as
a basis - that's just the word you happen to use. It would be sexist if we particularly
used diminitives to indicate that girls are worth less than boys in general, but that's
not what the diminutive means. The diminutive is the idiomatic way to say "girl",
nothing more, nothing less. Masculine words happen to often be the base in Germanic
languages because it was the convenient way to solve problems, not because the words
are thereby inherently biased against women. That diminutive wasn't put there to show
"you, girl, are worth less than your brother/father/husband". That's nonsensical.

Otherwise it's equally sexist against men that we consider all governments feminine
(despite there usually being more men in governments. (die Regierung).

Quote:
Not to mention that the binary genders are one more reminder to people who don't
identify as either that society ignores them or considers them "less than" others. (And
no, I'm not saying we should introduce a special grammatical gender for them)

Urgh. I am all for the non-binary rights, but I've always found this to be a non-
argument.
5 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4483 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 44 of 126
19 December 2013 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Better question - how IS it sexist?

Indeed... some people like to see discrimination everywhere: sexist (or third gender), racial, etc. Just like conspiracists, you can't convince them (and they may be right).

Even left-handed people are discriminated against, in life and in language. (sinister in Latin, coming from a word meaning lame in German, what is left in English, a negative prefix involved in "accident", "misjudgement" etc in Hungarian...)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 45 of 126
19 December 2013 at 12:48pm | IP Logged 
Sexism is defined as treating someone differently because of their gender. How am I not treated differently if the default words for things don't describe my gender? Which languages consider the feminine gender default in any way? Even if there are some, they are obviously an exception and not the rule.

I never said it was intentionally sexist, though. But given how sexist the attitudes were in the past, it can't be a coincidence. Really, much of the discrimination that happens isn't intentional, and that's why some people don't care enough to notice it if it doesn't affect them.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4512 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 46 of 126
19 December 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Sexism is defined as treating someone differently because of their
gender. How am I not treated differently if the default words for things don't describe
my gender? Which languages consider the feminine gender default in any way? Even if
there are some, they are obviously an exception and not the rule.

No, it's defined as treating someone differently in a negative sense! Otherwise it's
sexist to have female bathrooms because it's different from a male bathroom. The reason
there are feminine (or masculine) suffixes is because it's useful to make the gender
distinction in some contexts, it can add the necessary redundancy in the language. It
literally has nothing to do with sexism at all

Quote:
I never said it was intentionally sexist, though. But given how sexist the
attitudes were in the past, it can't be a coincidence. Really, much of the
discrimination that happens isn't intentional, and that's why some people don't care
enough to notice it if it doesn't affect them.

Yes, it can. Otherwise, why is goverment a feminine word in Dutch and German? Clearly a
male-dominated discipline.

Edited by tarvos on 19 December 2013 at 12:59pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4483 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 47 of 126
19 December 2013 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
I don't think your two sentences make sense. In one, you say that it's sexism if it considers you differently for your gender, and in the other you're not happy because the word doesn't carry the same gender as your physical gender (perhaps the word was made neutral for little girls who don't identify themselves as being of either gender, ha?).

But gender has nothing to do with it. If the default word for girl was feminine, it would define you through your marital status or something. That would be clearly sexist (and yes, a consequence of history). An awful lot of things are sexist in language, but gender? Just take a list of 100 random words of each gender and see if it really makes sense. (and I said "random")

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5235 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 48 of 126
19 December 2013 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
s_allard wrote:

English does not have grammatical gender comparable to that of languages like French, Spanish or German. In
the case at hand, the only reason we know or assume that John is a so-called masculine noun is because we
assume that all people named John are men. The pronoun "he" refers to the sex of John. But look at the
sentence:

Madison is tall.

Is Madison a female or masculine noun? It's not indicated. anywhere. Take the sentence:

The car is nice. It is not expensive.

Are we to say that in English the word "car" has a neutral gender because we use the pronoun "it"?
"Boy" is not a masculine noun in English. "Girl' is not a feminne noun. They both refer to young people of a
certain gender. But this does make English a language with grammatical gender.

English has sex-based grammatical gender because it is UNGRAMMATICAL to use "she" or "it" for the word "boy".
Many languages have only one word for "he", "she" and "it". French, Spanish have sex-based and formal-based
gender. And the category of gender is incorporated much deeper than in English.

I think there is some confusion here between biological and grammatical gender. Let's consider the following
examples:

The young man is tall and good-looking.
The young woman is tall and good-looking.
Le jeune homme est grand et beau.
La jeune fille est grande et belle.
El chico es alto y guapo.
La chica es alta y guapa.

As can be clearly seen, French and Spanish use grammatical gender. We see how the gender of the words is
marked by the article and morphology of the adjectives. English does not do this. Does English have grammatical
gender because "man" refers to a masculine person and "woman"' to a feminine person?  English does use
biological gender when referring to humans and living beings, and even that is being contested with gender-
neutral language. Consider the following example.

Every student must show their identity card.

"Their' is used to replace the cumbersom "his or her." What is the grammatical gender of "student"?

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version