126 messages over 16 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 15 16 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 49 of 126
19 December 2013 at 1:31pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
I don't think your two sentences make sense. In one, you say that it's sexism if it considers you differently for your gender, and in the other you're not happy because the word doesn't carry the same gender as your physical gender (perhaps the word was made neutral for little girls who don't identify themselves as being of either gender, ha?).
But what about boys? Also note how this is changing in the colloquial language, obviously due to women having more respect and being more in control of the language used for them and about them. Is it happening randomly? Is it random that the Russian word papa is masculine, although it's declined in the same way as mama?

As I said, I don't think the concept of gender is sexist. But some of the implementation definitely is, and the fact that male/masculine is pretty much the default gender also is.

Or let's talk of it in terms of privilege. Don't you think it's a privilege that most default words for people describe you? That you never feel a lack of respect for your gender while filling out official forms? That you can look up a word in the dictionary and it's guaranteed to have the form used for your gender?

These are small things, microaggressions if you will, but they are a part of a larger context. You can't answer the question "is it discrimination?" just by thinking whether you would feel discriminated if this was done to you. Apply the whole context to yourself and not only the specific instance of alleged discrimination.

As an attempt to stay on topic... it's nice how English is so flexible and it's easy to make it gender-neutral. But if there's any need to strive for this neutrality, surely this indicates that the status quo is/was sexist?
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4512 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 50 of 126
19 December 2013 at 1:39pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
As an attempt to stay on topic... it's nice how English is so flexible and it's
easy to make it gender-neutral. But if there's any need to strive for this neutrality,
surely this indicates that the status quo is/was sexist?

No, it means that the demands on language changed as a result of society's evolution
and increasing research on gender studies. I always use singular "they" for example.
There was a need to invent a word that was appropriate for describing certain
situations which we didn't know existed before, or to use an old circumlocution for it.
It's no different from coining new words in other territories. You can argue that is
because the old word was sexist, but in my view it's just because we simply didn't have
a word (not because we didn't want to have a word).

Quote:
But some of the implementation definitely is, and the fact that male/masculine
is pretty much the default gender also is.

Blame the Vikings, then. I don't think the Vikings ever thought that "well, we have to
have a masculine standard for every word". It's just how it historically grew and how
the conjugation rules could be applied the best.

Quote:
Or let's talk of it in terms of privilege. Don't you think it's a privilege that
most default words for people describe you? That you never feel a lack of respect for
your gender while filling out official forms? That you can look up a word in the
dictionary and it's guaranteed to have the form used for your gender?

I never have the feeling this is lacking in any Dutch dictionary.

1 person has voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4483 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 51 of 126
19 December 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Or let's talk of it in terms of privilege. Don't you think it's a privilege that most default words for people describe you? That you never feel a lack of respect for your gender while filling out official forms? That you can look up a word in the dictionary and it's guaranteed to have the form used for your gender?

Honestly? No. And you know what? When I fill in medical (hospital/surgery) forms, they ask me if I'm pregnant, and when I last had my period, something not quite relevant to my anatomy. And yet I don't feel offended. And I'm sure Muslims don't throw their arms in the air when they reach the question asking how many alcohol units they drink in a week. Still in the hospital, they use the word "nurse": I'm sure the male nurses must feel so incredibly discriminated against, to be called by a word that originally meant "breast-feeder" (something they'll never have the chance to do).

And about dictionary, this is stupid. When I look up the word for "blue" or "gigantic" in a Russian dictionary, they'll come in the masculine form. And so? Is it going to make my life any easier? I wasn't planning on using these two adjectives to describe myself, so they'll just apply to other nouns that were randomly attributed a gender.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4861 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 52 of 126
19 December 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Every student must show their identity card.

"Their' is used to replace the cumbersom "his or her." What is the grammatical gender of "student"?

Common gender.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 53 of 126
19 December 2013 at 1:54pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It's no different from coining new words in other territories. You can argue that is because the old word was sexist, but in my view it's just because we simply didn't have a word (not because we didn't want to have a word).
It's not that we didn't want. It's just that we didn't care enough to have a word. "that's discrimination" doesn't equal "you're deliberately being mean to me". Deliberate discrimination is obvious enough.

As for Regierung, you noted yourself how most people in the government are male. Would you feel differently if most of them were female and the word itself was feminine?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4512 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 54 of 126
19 December 2013 at 2:03pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
   It's not that we didn't want. It's just that we didn't care enough
to have a word. "that's discrimination" doesn't equal "you're deliberately being mean
to me". Deliberate discrimination is obvious enough.

Yes it does. Discrimination implies that it's negative. Otherwise no one would give a
flying f**k.

The word is masculine because it's masculine (the word "meisje" comes from the feminine
"meid". We happened to find it convenient back in the day to have a neuter gender for
diminutives (we can also use jongetje, for example! That isn't as idiomatic but it's
also used. Sometimes idiomatic usages stick and it has nothing to do with considering
women beneath you!)

Quote:
As for Regierung, you noted yourself how most people in the government are male.
Would you feel differently if most of them were female and the word itself was
feminine?

No. It's a word and I don't associate its grammatical gender with the fact whether its
owner is physically also feminine at all. To me the government simply means "governing
body of a country" and the fact that it is feminine (which in Belgian Dutch requires
you to say "de regering en haar leden" (the government and its members) are a
grammatical construct which impinge on the correctness of my speech in a grammatical
sense, not in a semantical one. A government is a concept and its feminity is only
conserved because of the -ing/ung ending, which makes it grammatically possible to
decline in certain ways.

When I refer to a "meisje", I'll still use the feminine possessive "het meisje en HAAR
speelgoed" (the girl and her toys).

I don't get bothered by the sun being feminine either (it's feminine in Dutch) or
salads being feminine or whatever. Or the fact that the basic word for a cat is
feminine (a masculine cat has to be called "kater").

If you want you can make up some historical bullshit about why someone's language use
is sexist. It's not sexist unless the intended use is really to discriminate in
practice, it's just a grammatical construct that happens to have a feminine name.

Edited by tarvos on 19 December 2013 at 2:04pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 55 of 126
19 December 2013 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
When I look up the word for "blue" or "gigantic" in a Russian dictionary, they'll come in the masculine form. And so? Is it going to make my life any easier? I wasn't planning on using these two adjectives to describe myself, so they'll just apply to other nouns that were randomly attributed a gender.
I don't mean just adjectives but also nouns.
As for other stuff, maybe you'd feel more offended if it happened in various spheres in life all the time. Isolated instances are easy enough to ignore. (and no, I'm not saying discrimination against females should be replaced with discrimination against males.)

I'm not sure Muslims are fine with the idea that the default, normal human drinks alcohol every now and then.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6402 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 56 of 126
19 December 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Serpent wrote:
   It's not that we didn't want. It's just that we didn't care enough
to have a word. "that's discrimination" doesn't equal "you're deliberately being mean
to me". Deliberate discrimination is obvious enough.

Yes it does. Discrimination implies that it's negative. Otherwise no one would give a
flying f**k.
Note the part about deliberate. There's even the expression that intent isn't magical. It's not enough to have no intentions of offending someone, you also need to know the "rules". It's just like in languages, it's not enough to have the intention to speak and write Mandarin perfectly :-)

Frankly, there's no need to invent discrimination when you come across it all the time.

Edited by Serpent on 19 December 2013 at 2:28pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version