Groupie
Canada
Joined 4320 days ago

80 posts - 118 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: German, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 169 of 438
02 March 2014 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
It's not February anymore, but I ran out of time yesterday to post. Here's my favorite word:

Det finnes mange ord som jeg liker basert på lyd; for eksemple selvfølgelig, dagdrøm og mareritt.

Men mitt favoritt ord er ikke et ekte ord, derimot det er interessant og moro. Det er flytogbussen, som viser hvordan norsk liker å kombinere ord. Jeg liker det på grunn av denne sketsjen av Raske Menn.

Det ekte ord er flytog. I denne sketsjen, de tar det videre når de gir en løsning når man går glipp av flytoget: en buss som tar man til flytoget. Jeg finner det morsomt og man kan finne minst et par folk i min by som vet tre ord i norsk på grunn av denne sketsjen.

There are a number of words I like just based on sound, such as selvfølgelig(of course), dagdrøm(daydream) and mareritt(nightmare).

My favorite is not actually a real word, but it's interesting and fun. It's flytogbussen, which beautifully illustrates Norwegian's fondness of combining words. I've just always loved it because of this sketch by the comedy group called Raske Menn(fast men).

fly = airplane
tog = train
buss = bus

The real word is flytog(airport rail link). In the comedy sketch they took it further by providing a solution to missing the flytog: a bus that takes you to it. I just find this word really fun and there's at least a few people in my city who now know three words in Norwegian thanks to the sketch.
3 persons have voted this message useful

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3735 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 170 of 438
03 March 2014 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Hopefully I did this correctly (had a lot of fun playing with the obligatory tags), but here is my log:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=38229
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 171 of 438
04 March 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
@DavidStyles
Perfect! I’ve updated the first post.

@WoofCreature
As I said last month, I’m not going to be too strict about deadlines: a couple of days of delay won’t change anything. So for me your entry is valid. Well done!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5141 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 172 of 438
04 March 2014 at 11:37am | IP Logged 
March Challenge

Even though not too many of us took part in February’s challenge, I’m very happy of how the challenge turned out. The entries were all very interesting or funny to read, so well done to everyone who participated. Give yourselves a pat on the shoulder! ;-)

For this month’s challenge we’re going to learn a TL song. That means that everyone should choose a song they like, listen to it repeatedly, learn and understand the lyrics, and sing along as many times as reasonably possible. Finally, you should post the lyrics, the translation and a link to the song here in this log.

Depending on your proficiency level (and it’s up to you to determine how much external help you need) it’s ok to use internet or other sources to find the lyrics and to help with the translation.

---

I’m already thinking ahead to upcoming monthly challenges. For April I’m thinking about a little extensive reading involving Wikipedia, but I’m open to suggestions for other things to do in the coming months. So let me know if you’ve got good ideas. As we decided at the beginning of the year, this is a democratic team with a “board of veterans” in charge, so your input is important.

Edited by Emme on 04 March 2014 at 11:39am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 173 of 438
06 March 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
What about reading an article (beginners may pick Klartale for Norwegian) and writing a
1-paragraph summary about it?

I'm not very fond of song challenges, I skipped them for Russian and Chinese, but this is
Norwegian and I'll try my best to come up with something I can translate =D
2 persons have voted this message useful

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3735 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Personal Language Map

Message 174 of 438
07 March 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
I'll do at least one song for each of DA/NO/SV. After some recommendations, I already have a handful of Norsk songs I like, but am "in the market for" Dansk and Svenska songs that I like.

If all else fails, it's going to be Disney's famous multilingual dubs, since they're easy, catchy, and widely available, but it'd be more in the spirit of the thing to do a song that was written in the language in question.

For what it's worth, the Norsk songs in my shortlist (of which I'll probably learn them all) are:

Se Ilden Lyse (Has English subs)
http://youtu.be/poILi0EvJyc

(which reminds me I should probably look up Eurovision Song Contest entries - don't know if this was one, but it is the kind of song that could have been)

And some easy listening rock:

Forelska I Lærer'n
http://youtu.be/Q33jAFsst78

Det va ikke min skyld
http://youtu.be/naiRInA9ae8

And wandering out of native territory now, clearly the Disney equivalent of the latter song, in the "blame the girl" theme:
http://youtu.be/Gcqk-lPV8Mg?t=30s (Norsk dub and subs for "Hellfire")

And more in the category of great dubs with subs:
http://youtu.be/f6aM50mOwDQ (Min vuggesang / My lullaby)

Dub, no subs, but lyrics in "about":
http://youtu.be/cXYlMHvn3jk (Vær beredt / Be prepared)

Edit to mention that of course the translation is rather moot for the dubs and the one that has English subs, but still applies at least to the rock songs)

Edited by DavidStyles on 07 March 2014 at 4:31pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 175 of 438
07 March 2014 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
Do you like indie rock? Electropop? I can recommend you something in Swedish. I know much
more music from Sweden than from Norway, sadly.

'Familjen' was a hit some years ago.
2 persons have voted this message useful

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3735 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 176 of 438
07 March 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, that's much better than what I had so far (A bunch of folk songs that I hate, and Eurovision's Carola whose songs just aren't appealing to me).

Sound-wise anyway! Struggling to understand the Swedish (Skånska, ja?) and if it's very far off from more standard Swedish maybe it is not best for me to use to improve my Swedish... But whether or not I use it for this purpose, fun music!

This discussion contains 438 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version