Diglot
United States
Joined 4943 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 410 of 438
14 December 2014 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
I went to Denmark and talked to those people in their own language. I was worried that everyone would respond to me in English, but it only happened a couple of times. Still, there was a lot I couldn’t understand and I had to resort to English to sort out a rail pass problem. I’m definitely going to keep studying. Maybe I can go back one day and do better.

Emme, I don’t know what you could have done better. I’ve always been grateful that you took the helm that nobody else wanted. Without you, there wouldn’t have been a team.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 411 of 438
14 December 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Thank you!

You guys can’t imagine how truly happy you all make me by writing these nice things. There have been times this year when I’ve felt I had let the team down by not being more present or more capable of keeping this thread alive.

The fact that you all think I’ve done a good enough work, eases my conscience quite a bit. So thank you all again.

PS. @AlOlaf
That’s your December challenge, right?

Edited by Emme on 14 December 2014 at 6:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4943 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 412 of 438
14 December 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
PS. @AlOlaf
That’s your December challenge, right?

Yeah, I don’t think a blow-by-blow account of my erratic learning “process” would interest anybody. I did leave something out, though. If I can get a firm enough grip on Danish, I’d like to learn to speak Norwegian, too.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4434 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 413 of 438
15 December 2014 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
As the Norwegian "Godfather" of this team I congratulate you all on your achievements, and in particular Emme for having done a great job as team leader. It is a particular challenge to manage a team where people are learning different, albeit closely related languages, and Team Asgard has done pretty well compared to some other teams.

I have not been a very active Godfather, but I can assure you that I have followed your activities through the year. More of you are learning Swedish or Danish than Norwegian, and I really cannot pretend to reply to questions which do not concern Norwegian, However, I can assure you that I have enjoyed following your learning process, and if you continue with a Scandinativan team in 2015 and you want me, I am volunteering as Godfather again.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 414 of 438
15 December 2014 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
Definitely! (for both). I regret not posting questions here as often as I did as a beginner, as others would benefit from the answers as well as I would (I rather remained silent about my doubts all over the year).

With this I delve into my own report. I was a bit pessimistic because my reading skills weren't that impressive, but lately I really saw some improvement. Then I just went to the first page of my log, from where I quote this:

Expugnator wrote:

Norwegian - Team Scandinavian
[..]I learned to enjoy everything Norwegian, and I'm having a great time with novels
and TV series. My goal for 2014 is no less than basic fluency, which I'm going to
assess through being able to watch TV with subtitles. I still need to fill some
vocabulary gaps, namely the news, but I'm not going to use textbooks anymore. I plan to
write more often, so I can activate the language a bit, too.

Now, 359 days later I'm still enjoying everything Norwegian (thanks daegga for the recommendations). I tried some news and they seemed even easier. I really noticed a cumulative effect from the SC but it only got better after I decided to look up the most important words. Am I able to watch TV with Norwegian subtitles?! Sure! When I watch Side om side, I do pause once in a while when I notice the word is important, but I get most jokes only by reading - and sometimes only by listening. The only 'failure' is about writing. I didn't write at italki for corrections. I did chat a few times at IRC, and I regard it as good practice. When I take a look at the channel window now, I can grasp what is going on in a glance. So, I believe that after some moments of uncertainty by the half of the year I managed to remain focused and make the necessary adjustments. Goals accomplished for Norwegian!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 415 of 438
16 December 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
As the Norwegian "Godfather" of this team I congratulate you all on your achievements, and in particular Emme for having done a great job as team leader. It is a particular challenge to manage a team where people are learning different, albeit closely related languages, and Team Asgard has done pretty well compared to some other teams.

[...]

Thank you!

---

@Ogrim and @Iversen

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank our godfathers/guardian angels for their availability during this year. I know we probably didn’t “use” you as much as we could have, but it was nice to know that we had native speakers watching over our shoulders and always ready to help us in case of need.

Tack ska ni ha!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 

Message 416 of 438
16 December 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
[...] Goals accomplished for Norwegian!

Well done, Expugnator! Another TAC successfully completed!

Since I got to know you (probably in team MIR a couple of years ago), you’ve shown me time and again that you have a knack for acing the TAC. You know I totally envy your ability to stay focussed and keep to your plans!

(And yes, I'm aware that you’re not totally satisfied with how Russian went for you this year. But seriously, I can’t find fault with improving slowly with such a difficult language. For me you’ve succeeded in the Russian TAC as well, so hats off to you).

This discussion contains 438 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version