159 messages over 20 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 19 20 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 113 of 159
10 January 2014 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
culebrilla wrote:

To make it VERY clear to you:

1. A person that is very advanced at something is much better at the ONE TASK than
another that is an intermediate or beginner.

Yes. That is the meaning of the term advanced, and thus a tautology. I'm not sure what
your point is in that case.

Quote:
2. Reaching an advanced level at something is NOT, repeat, NOT, more of a
LAUDABLE goal than reaching a a lower level in several things; they are equivalent if
both people have spent the same amount of time on the tasks.

Nobody made this statement. Only you took everything out of context. So I don't get
where you pulled this from.

1 person has voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 114 of 159
10 January 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Wow, this topic actually evolved into something that I find interesting! I really didn't see that one coming.

beano wrote:
culebrilla wrote:

...I think as long as your accent isn't painful (for me, painful is listening to Sofia Vergara speak in English) and understandable then you can be an "honorary" native speaker. The accent, to me, isn't that important even in professional settings. I understand others would really care about it to make it native-like but to me it is more of a personal pursuit and not really important for the vast majority of jobs.

Exactly. A foreign accent doesn't matter in the slightest as long as it is not interfering with other peoples' comprehension. I work beside a French lady who has been in Scotland for close on 20 years. She knows all the local vernacular and is culturally comfortable in the language. I've never seen her having the slightest communication problem. She does however speak with a noticeable French accent, but what difference does that make? She could, I suppose, spend hundreds of hours trying to imitate native intonation but she's obviously decided that speaking English is more rewarding than behaving like a parrot.

I think here we're falling into the trap of assuming the situation for English is the same as the situation for other languages and cultures. English speakers tend to be very used to foreign accents and very accepting of them, even finding many of them charming. This isn't necessarily the case for speakers of other languages, where a decent accent is practically a prerequisite to being taken seriously by many people and a bad one gives a poor first impression of your general proficiency which you then have to work hard to change. Accent is obvious as soon as you open your mouth, while things like good grammar and vocabulary take more time to become obvious, and in many everyday situations you don't have that time.

Obviously that's a generalisation, not all people in a culture have the same attitude, and there's a balance between working on accent and working on other aspects; I shouldn't even need to say all this, but hey, this is HTLAL! I'm not saying we should all be trying to develop a native-like accent, but I think that some time spent working on acquiring a half-decent one that doesn't make you sound like an obvious Anglophone is worthwhile (unless of course you're one of the lucky souls who manages to pick up a decent pronunciation just from listening), and it's what I've been doing myself recently.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 115 of 159
10 January 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Exactly, like an obvious Anglophone. If your noticeable accent isn't English, in most cases it's much less of a problem.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 116 of 159
10 January 2014 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
garyb wrote:
Wow, this topic actually evolved into something that I find interesting!
I really didn't see that one coming.

beano wrote:
culebrilla wrote:

...I think as long as your accent isn't painful (for me, painful is listening to Sofia
Vergara speak in English) and understandable then you can be an "honorary" native
speaker. The accent, to me, isn't that important even in professional settings. I
understand others would really care about it to make it native-like but to me it is
more of a personal pursuit and not really important for the vast majority of jobs.

Exactly. A foreign accent doesn't matter in the slightest as long as it is not
interfering with other peoples' comprehension. I work beside a French lady who has been
in Scotland for close on 20 years. She knows all the local vernacular and is culturally
comfortable in the language. I've never seen her having the slightest communication
problem. She does however speak with a noticeable French accent, but what difference
does that make? She could, I suppose, spend hundreds of hours trying to imitate native
intonation but she's obviously decided that speaking English is more rewarding than
behaving like a parrot.

I think here we're falling into the trap of assuming the situation for English is the
same as the situation for other languages and cultures. English speakers tend to be
very used to foreign accents and very accepting of them, even finding many of them
charming. This isn't necessarily the case for speakers of other languages, where a
decent accent is practically a prerequisite to being taken seriously by many people and
a bad one gives a poor first impression of your general proficiency which you then have
to work hard to change. Accent is obvious as soon as you open your mouth, while things
like good grammar and vocabulary take more time to become obvious, and in many everyday
situations you don't have that time.

Obviously that's a generalisation, not all people in a culture have the same attitude,
and there's a balance between working on accent and working on other aspects; I
shouldn't even need to say all this, but hey, this is HTLAL! I'm not saying we should
all be trying to develop a native-like accent, but I think that some time spent working
on acquiring a half-decent one that doesn't make you sound like an obvious Anglophone
is worthwhile (unless of course you're one of the lucky souls who manages to pick up a
decent pronunciation just from listening), and it's what I've been doing myself
recently.

Your point is very true Gary. But that is why Beano specifically stated, "...as long
as it is not interfering with other peoples' comprehension." I have experienced this
problem in India. My Hindi could be understood in town where they were used to
foreigners with poor accents, but when I would visit villages, I often had to speak
more carefully in order to be understood.

But at the end of the day, I would rather be well-spoken and articulate in expressing
myself, than try to work at passing for a native. For me, it is because I know a lot
of people who speak English with an accent, but who can discuss interesting subjects at
the highest levels.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5219 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 117 of 159
10 January 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
Really, I don't understand what this fuss about having a native-like accent is about. Obviously we want to be intelligible in our target language, and that entails a decent accent. Does that mean one should aim for a certain threshold and then stop trying to get better? I don't think anybody believes that.

What happens, I think, is that it is a case of diminishing returns. We all know that acquiring a truly local native accent or even a kind of neutral "accent-less" accent is very difficult at an adult age, and that there is so much else to acquire, in terms of vocabulary and syntax for content, that it becomes a question of priorities.

If you have particular reasons for wanting to pass for native - maybe you're a spy or you need to blend into the population for political reasons -, then perfect pronunciation is a priority. Otherwise, for most of us, there is so much else to learn that perfect pronunciation is not necessary.

That said, I know of a specific example where pronunciation is paramount. Where I live many French-speaking Canadian actors want to work in the United States in English. They take courses given by American dialect coaches on how to sound American for auditions and demo tapes. In this case, studying vocabulary and syntax has little importance because the words are given to the actors.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6994 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 118 of 159
10 January 2014 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
Polyglots do it all over the world.

josepablo
Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 3779 days ago

123 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Turkish

Message 119 of 159
10 January 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Polyglots do it all over the world.

What do you mean? Do what all over the world? Speak foreign languages with native accents?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3777 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 120 of 159
10 January 2014 at 5:59pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
I think we are beating this dead horse endlessly. Can one acquire native-like proficiency in one or more foreign languages starting at an adult age under the right circumstances? Yes.

How many people do acquire native-like proficiency in one or more foreign languages at an adult age and under any circumstances? A very tiny number.

In my opinion, this pretty much sums up what we have all observed.

I think there is a difference between having native-like proficiency and having a native-like (by which I mean not recognisably foreign) accent. Achieving native like proficiency as an adult is really difficult and means loads of hard work. On the other hand, I not only believe, but can tell by experience that although depending on many factors (e.g. your native tongue, exposure, time, age, individual abilities, determination etc.) you can acquire a native-like accent meaning that you won't be easily caught out as a foreigner.

I've personally met several people who spoke Hungarian so well having learnt it as adults, that I wasn't able to spot that they were not natives. Among these people there was a Romanian waiter who at that time had been in Hungary for about 3 years. There was an Irish artist who had lived in the country for 5-6 years and had a Hungarian wife. It's very likely that neither the Romanian waiter, nor the Irish artist would win a Hungarian scrabble game, but they speak the language well enough to be considered natives in normal social situations. I went to that restaurant on a daily basis for several months and it never occured to me that the waiter might not be native Hungarian, until one day I had a longer chat with him and he mentioned his origins. With the Irish artist I chatted about paintings and food for about 20-30 minutes at a party, and I was told only days later by a common friend that the guy wasn't Hungarian.

Very often a good - native-like if you want - accent comes naturally and is not the result of a very conscious strategy, let alone accent training or speech therapy. I have a very good accent in Spanish and French and a terrible one in English. I never worked - apart from my normal learning process - on my Spanish and French accent, while I live in England and spent a fortune on English accent-reduction courses, to no avail.

Edited by Hungringo on 10 January 2014 at 6:15pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 159 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version