Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4411 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 121 of 159
10 January 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
My wife never knew any English until she was 20 years old and she now speaks at near-native level. She
also produces a standard of written English that is miles better than what some natives can muster. So
clearly you can learn to an extremely high standard by starting as an adult. Funnily enough, she has no
school qualifications because she hated the place and wanted to start working as soon as it was legally
possible. So you don't have to be an academic type either (although she did win school prizes for speaking
Russian so I guess there some natural ability at work there).

As far as accent goes. Yes, I try and pronounce my German as accurately as possible but I don't actually
care if someone clocks me as a foreigner the minute I open my mouth. I'm interested in smooth
communication. If my voice happens to rise and fall in a different manner to a native, then I accept that. It is
what it is.
3 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6994 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 122 of 159
10 January 2014 at 6:39pm | IP Logged 
josepablo wrote:
luke wrote:
Polyglots do it all over the world.

What do you mean? Do what all over the world? Speak foreign languages with native accents?

It's a type of joke with a double-entendre/double meaning. The topic is perfect for this sort of joke.

Astronomers do it with stars.
Dancers do it with grace.
Donors do it for life.
Electrical engineers do it without shorts.
Pilots do it in the air.
Polyglots do it with their tongues.
Teachers do it with class.

There are many more:
http://www.joe-ks.com/Do_It_With.htm
http://www.dkgoodman.com/doita-f.html

Edited by luke on 10 January 2014 at 6:40pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4079 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 123 of 159
10 January 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
It is true that Anglophones have more pressure to have a good accent compared to vice
versa--one small mistake in Western and especially, Northern, Europe will invite a
switch to English. However, in the UK, USA, Australia, etc., I have never seen one of
the local Anglophones switch to the language of the non-native speaker with a strong
accent. They simply communicate slowly and with difficulty no matter how much it may
be, always staying in English. But this does not happen for Anglophones with a strong
accent or making mistakes in, e.g. Swedish or Norwegian. Even in tourists places such
as Westminster Abbey in London, the Beatles sites in Liverpool, the CN Tower in
Toronto, the Harbour Bridge in Sydney, the Statue of Liberty in New York, etc., if one
speaks broken English with a strong accent, an Anglophone almost never switches into
the language of the interlocutor. Constrated to an Anglophone at the Rijksmuseum in
Amsterdam, the old town of Delft, Karl Johans Gatan in Oslo, etc., the accent and
fluidity of speech must be very good to avoid a switch. So it seems that the accent
matters more for Anglophones than others, simply to avoid a switch.

I have never switched to a different language for a non-native Anglophone who struggles
, has a strong accent, or speaks slowly due to being only A2, unless they ask and I
know their language, the only time being with people whom I know like in certain
restaurants, which also helps me to przctise my own languages.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4492 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 124 of 159
10 January 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
However, in the UK, USA, Australia, etc., I have never seen one of the local Anglophones switch to
the language of the non-native speaker with a strong accent. They simply communicate slowly and with difficulty no
matter how much it may be, always staying in English. But this does not happen for Anglophones with a strong
accent or making mistakes in, e.g. Swedish or Norwegian.

Most Americans simply don't speak the native languages of the immigrants they encounter. They don't switch
because they can't switch. On the other hand, English is widespread in Scandinavia, so Scandinavians sometimes
switch. It has nothing to do with patience and everything to do with what someone can or can't do.

It's also not the worst thing in the world if somebody switches to English. You can always ask them to switch back.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4411 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 125 of 159
10 January 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
I think this is one of the great myths of language learning, that people in Europe will switch to English if you
make a slight mistake or possess an accent that doesn't perfectly mirror the local one. If you can
communicate fluently then the other person will almost always talk back in their native tongue.....that's what
they do in their homeland all day long after all. Who's to say their English is any better than the English
speakers knowledge of the other language? Or that they actually want to speak a foreign language in their
own country, even if they could. Is there such a thing as a non-native speaker of English who never makes a
mistake or never uses the wrong word? Aside from people who moved at a young age to English-speaking
countries, I've never met one.

Sure, if the initial attempt at conversation is seriously stilted, some people may offer to speak English to aid
communication. I'm sure the vast majority would happily switch back if the English speaker pointed out they
were trying to improve their knowledge of the local tongue.

Edited by beano on 10 January 2014 at 9:46pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4617 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 126 of 159
10 January 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

But if you want to go sound like a true native, then you have to choose a regional
accent. Well, there's little problem. In Britain, do want to sound like Queen
Elizabeth, Prince Charles, Kate Middleton or Prince William? Or like a taxi driver from
East London? There's a vast range to choose from.

Not really. As I advised someone in another thread, you'd be very unwise to
deliberately learn (outside of the country, anyway), a British regional accent, whether
it be East London Cockney, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Geordie, or anything else.

The examples of royals given is obviously one extreme, but a more sensible choice is to
listen to the typical speech of the more serious BBC Radio channels, or an audiobook
read by someone you know is an RP speaker (you'd have to get a native speaker to verify
this, or I would advise it). So what you want to aim at is "educated RP", which doesn't
have to be as "cut glass" as the Queen, but clear, well-articulated, reasonably
standard speech. Not of course that I think you should aim to actually sound like a
native. What I mean is that aiming for this level of RP gives you a standard to work
towards, and if you make a reasonably good job of it, you should be understood anywhere
in the UK, and what's more, no one will think you might be mocking their
regional accent.

Quote:

In the United States, you could choose from a wide range of regional accents and public
figures or celebrities. Do you want to sound like Obama, John McCain or even Sarah
Palin amongst many others?

Surely, a similar thing applies: you aim for a
General American accent for
exactly the same reasons.

But as I say, I don't think anybody should be aiming to sound like a native speaker:
just use native speakers of a standard accent as your model. There is a big difference.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 127 of 159
10 January 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I doubt most learners only try to immitate the language. We want to use it, to speak it, to write it, to understand it. That's no immitation. And why the hell should people want to pretend they were born somewhere else? A secret agent in another country might find it useful but I don't need to sound like a local in a village of the area.

I was mistaken for a native from another country, so my French accent obviously isn't bad. On the other hand, I had as well people switch to English automatically. I think part of the reason is your attitude. If you look confident, people trust you can communicate in the language. If you don't look confident, they try to be helpful and switch into the ugly English no matter whether or not you look to be anglophone. They naively don't think you could speak another language (even a large one) and not English even though I know a lot of such exemples. And they naively don't think you could speak their language much much better than they speak English (which has been true about 99% of the French switching to English with me so far).

I think the point behind learning a language is to use it proficiently and correctly according to the situation. That means good grasp of grammar, both standard and common colloquial variants, a passable accent that won't hurt the natives' ears, good pronunciation that won't be any obstacle in understanding, vocabulary wide enough to suffice.

But should anyone see appearing to be native as the only and supreme goal? Are you so unhappy about your origins? Is hearing "ah, I've been thinking you were a native since I met you a year ago" going to cure your broken ego or what? Or are just trying to impress other learners (with realistic goals) the same way hipster teens want to impress the rest of the world?

Yes, you can acquire a lot of "nativelike" pieces. I sometimes make the same mistakes my native friends do, I can fake being an English native as long as I write. I can be occassionaly (on a good day) taken for a native from somewhere else when it comes to French. Great. But I see no point in beating myself over not not being mistaken by people from Lyon for one of them.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4079 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 128 of 159
10 January 2014 at 11:20pm | IP Logged 
I guess it was from my experiences, perhaps my pronunciation or accent was seriously
poor, because I remember the two highest "switch" countries that I have visited have
been
Norway and the Netherlands. Conversely, I think that I have only switched to Spanish
once
in the UK to someone from university, in addition to in restaurants with Spaniards whom
I
already know anyway.

Several years ago in Montréal, I was switched around 80% of the time, which made me
almost resign myself and was considering to speak English for the rest of my stay out
of defeat. But I
recognise than Montréal is a specific case due to its bilingual status.

But someone who has broken English, a strong accent, etc. probably has less chance for
a
switch into their language than vice versa.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 10 January 2014 at 11:22pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 159 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version