159 messages over 20 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 19 20 Next >>
culebrilla
United States
Joined 3786 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 17 of 159
06 January 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
Dude, it actually isn't that hard. Seriously, somebody just practice a short video with 20 seconds with each language and 10 languages and watch the showering of compliments commence. I'm NOT saying that the people that post these videos do NOT have a high level, but it would be relatively easy to trick people if that was your goal. Besides, most posters on youtube do not know 10 languages and will just think you are amazing--because they don't know what you are saying! Myself, I don't know what a good accent in Russian, Hebrew, Arabic, or any of the roughly 6,998 living languages that I don't speak.

Edit: you wouldn't need a year and a half of study. You just would have to memorize a few lines really well and practice them. I recall one time my relative told me something in our family language and I repeated it to another relative. Without even knowing the language I got the message passed by with adequate accent. And it was an adequate accent because I was understood. What do you know, huh.

Edited by culebrilla on 06 January 2014 at 5:22pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3910 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 159
06 January 2014 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
If the goal is just to produce a youtube video, one could speak some smalltalk
by studying Pimsleur only, I guess
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5219 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 19 of 159
07 January 2014 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
In all fairness to Tim, I think he has done more than just memorized some lines for the camera. Some of his
languages are better learned than others, but he put a lot of work into all this. At the same time, I think that even
Tim does not claim to "speak" 20 languages. The word speak is very elastic indeed.

What is true is that the media go hog wild over this kind of story, especially in North America where multilingualism
is so rare. When you add the cuteness factor of young age, this makes for a great story.

There're also a couple of Youtube videos of a little child learning seven languages simultaneously. On the other
hand, I'm not sure that there would be the same interest in a retired person claiming to speak 20 languages. But I
may be wrong because there's a lot of press about learning languages to ward off Alzheimer's.

Edited by s_allard on 07 January 2014 at 1:55am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4128 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 20 of 159
07 January 2014 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Tim does not claim to "speak" 20 languages. The word speak is very elastic indeed.

http://youtu.be/cKlWBKhe2rs

I feel that this is the only good interview with Tim. The interviewer actually seems to have done a little
research before going into it and asks questions that don't make Tim seem like a super genius. The little
interviews in Chinese, French and Russian seem pretty basic, but, not to beat a dead horse, an interview that
short isn't really a good judge of his skill anyway.

In this video he says that he only speaks English, has 4 or 5 languages he's very comfortable in (he doesn't
say fluent or proficient, just comfortable) and 2 3 or 4 more that he's very serious about. Honestly though,
he's only been studying languages since he was 13 (about 4 years total). By the time he's in his mid 20, he'll
definitely speak a few of those languages at a very high level and then he'll also know a bit of a bunch of
other languages, which he will probably not use professionally, but what ever floats his boat. He seems to
enjoy himself.

I believe he's said elsewhere that sometimes he spends up to 8 hours a day studying languages (keep in
mind he does have regular school on top of this), and that's all I'm really jealous of. Most days I only get
around 2-6 hours of French if I can.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 21 of 159
07 January 2014 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
After rereading the OP carefully, I've come to the conclusion that the goal is really to be able to make a video similar to the one mentioned and not to actually speak many languages.
Where did you see this? It sounds like the OP just wonders if there are any "secrets" they don't know.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5219 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 22 of 159
07 January 2014 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
I really love those videos where we see the polyglots speaking to real people. This is when we get to see them really
communicating and interacting. For me this is the essence of speaking a language. There are many of these videos.
Here is one of my favourites with the masters Luca and Richard.
Luca and Richard in Moscow
3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 23 of 159
07 January 2014 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
I would like to add one more thought that came to me during reading the first page. A valid and inspirtional point raised there: It is harder to maintain more languages.

It is very true, especially if some of your target languages are not among the major large four or five ones. This can easily happen even if you choose to learn "only" two or three languages but you are sure to encounter this sort of issue if you want to become a polyglot.

When it comes to the middle and smaller sized languages, there are fewer tools for learners and it is harder to get the native input unless you go to the country (and for most learners and speakers of ten or so languages, I don't think it is possible to visit a country for each of it every two or three years). You don't have a Swedish library in ever larger city, it is harder to get Dutch DVDs, you don't have practice conversational clubs of Hungarian learners.

So, one of the important pieces of advice by prof.Arguelles was to learn the trio English,French and German first (yeah, those who have already got some of those as natives are at advantage) to get access to many more learning sources. And from my experience, it can help with finding the other things as well (for example, there are Swedish media eshops in Germany which are much more foreign customer friendly than the shops located in Sweden).
5 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6994 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 24 of 159
08 January 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Polyglots do it with a French tickler and Spanish fly.

Edited by luke on 08 January 2014 at 3:08am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 159 messages over 20 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version