Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 21 22 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 73 of 176
30 May 2014 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
... politics politics politics ...

Could you at least make an attempt to link this to language learning? These are
starting to sound like ideological posts rather than anything else.

The first message of this thread is about why English has gained so much strength due
to political and economic factors. How to ignore them and link them without mentioning
why certain countries are some more or some less ready to accept English as a globalist
language? One can simply ignore it, but then there would be no discussion. I could say
that Latin America are less ready to accept English to supercede Spanish or Portuguese
because...because why? Just because of some reasons, some probably not connected to
English being overly simplified with no noun gender, cases, noun declensions, complex
verb tenses, then what? Then Latin America, Spain, France, and Québec do not want to
submit to Anglophone "dominance" because...just because, then.

Go and look at the first post of this thread, which is basically the main idea of the
starter of the thread:

PeterMollenburg wrote:
I read somewhere recently that the French are always pouring money into the promotion
of their language. Then I read how much America and Britain finance the spread of
English which absolutely dominates over the tiny French language budget. In an
internet/media world dominated by English I'm not surprised that French (for long a
serious opponent of English to be the world language) is often 'bashed' in English
language media. I'm sorry i'm not so good at citing sources so I'm certainly no
journalist, but I do not trust the world we are 'fed' through the media and I sincerely
believe that English dominates today because of continuous concerted effort by those
powerful countries 'converting' other countries systematically one by one through
clandestine or obvious force. The more countries 'speak' English the better it is
for countries like the U.S. and U.K. They will have the upper hand as language is a
vehicule for culture and if you speak the same culture you're likely to sympathize with
that culture's ideologies.
For example, it seems today many Indians LOVE the UK
despite the awful past. A quick interesting point- The English language generates
enormous amounts of income for the UK and the U.S. isn't it very handy that the world
seems enamoured with English lately. That's not by fluke. Further to my earlier point
of 2nd language leaving one in an unfair position- if the dominate language is not your
mothertongue you generally stand in a weaker position to defend yourself since if
you're not a c2 or beyond those that are (mother-tongue-speakers) you will be in a
worse position to defend against those articulating their motives in their mother
tongue.

If I understand correctly, the main idea seems to be that English is being used by
Anglophone powers to conquer the world via the spreading of their media, whereafter
follows then economic gain without direct colonialism. How is what I say different in
topic thereto?

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 May 2014 at 4:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 74 of 176
30 May 2014 at 5:00am | IP Logged 
This forum is about teaching yourself languages.

In my journey to teach myself languages I have become curious about which languages are
taught/learned/ have political influence behind them throughout the world. I don't not
think it is a problem to discuss political idealogies, economic forces, clandestine or
obvious sinister moves by politic powers and so on in relation to how certain languages
spread throughout the world and in relation to why we learn certain languages in todays
world. The reason I speak English today is because of Britain's power a couple hundred
years ago. The reason Tahitians or Algerians learn French is due to the power of the
French colonial empire. If you're not interested in discussing these themes which to me
are very interesting and provide some noteworthy debate then why try to put a halt to the
discussion? Just go and read some other threads on a different topic.
5 persons have voted this message useful

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4451 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 75 of 176
30 May 2014 at 5:41am | IP Logged 
Australia and Canada and the UK and even the US are all multicultural societies. If foreign* cultures can
survive and flourish within English speaking countries then I'm sure they can also flourish within their native
countries.

*no I'm not calling people from non-dominant cultures foreigners, no foreign is not in fact an offensive slur,
please adjust you're flame detecter.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5147 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 76 of 176
30 May 2014 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
This must be one of the weirdest discussions I have seen on the forum so far. What is it that you wish for? To
have no lingua franca, or to have another lingua franca than English? Or do you want everyone to become
polyglots, speaking 9-10 languages?

I admit to getting a bit uneasy when my oldest daughter speaks English with some of her Norwegian friends
or when my youngest refuse to read books in Norwegian, saying that she will only read in English. I also get a
bit freaked out when the fact that they watch so many American series result in them knowing more about
American culture than about Norwegian culture.

But in spite of this I am quite satisfied with both having a lingua franca and that this is English.

When you come from a small language community the way I do, you can't afford the luxury of wanting
everyone to speak different languages. You quickly realize that you need one single language of
communication, in addition to the national ones, as no one is going to learn your language, and few people
have the capacity or the inclination to learn even four-five languages.

And I must admit that from my point of view it s quite practical that it is English. It is close to my native
language, and it is so omnipresent that it is incredibly easy to learn.

I also disagree that colonialism is the direct reason for the importance of English. Indirectly, it might be, since
colonialism brought English to large nations which in turn became economic powers in their own right. The
importance of English today however lies more in the meda domination of the US, and the Internet.

Different languages become lingua francas at different times. Latin, Spanish and French have
had that role in the past, English has it now , we have had countless discussions on the forum of whether
Mandarin will be the next one.

But how much of a discussion would we have had on this forum at right this instance if we removed English?
How many of us could express ourselves freely in French, Mandarin, Arabic? I might do it in Spanish, or in
French if I had to. Some of you could do it in Japanese or Russian. But a common language we could all
communicate in?

If we say that Russian or Arabic or Mandarin became the new shiny toy language, how long would it take for
everyone to learn those languages, and would they be free of taint from imperialism or human rights issues?

Esperanto would be the logical choice, but it has never caught on. And at the risk of offending the Esperantist
I understand why. It feels unnatural to me, and since there is no country you can go to for immersion, and
no truly native accent, it does not appeal to me.

I am happy that we can all use English. I would be even happier if more people could move freely in four-five
languages, but when I see how long it has taken me to reach the level I have in English (while still making
heaps of mistakes) I doubt that I would have the capacity to learn many languages to that level. And if I, who
am crazy about languages, would struggle to do that, I suspect that the general population who just want a
language in which they can get by to buy a beer or find their way in a foreign country could do that.

So I ask again: What would be your ideal situation, and how realistic do you consider it that we get there?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 30 May 2014 at 8:26am

8 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 77 of 176
30 May 2014 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

So I ask again: What would be your ideal situation, and how realistic do you consider
it that we get there?

My ideal and realistic situation would be something along the lines of...

Sth America- let's leave it as Spanish/Portuguese predominantly as main languages.

Nth America- okay as it is also

Africa: French as the northern lingua franca, and perhaps Dutch as the southern for
more balance? (yes yes I know I know there's problems with that)... or Arabic north
Africa/middle east & French the rest?

The main 2 I would change is this-
An Asia that is more enthusiastic for an Asian language as the lingua Franca

Europe is my main contention. Europe in my opinion (perhaps with Asia too) is tipping
the balance far too much in favour for English dominance. German makes sense to be the
European lingua franca. It's spoken by more natives there than any other language and
is in fact smack bang in the centre of Europe geographically. In the 80s I believe
there was a much higher prevalence of French and German being used in European
organisations.

I've cited many many issues with English being the ONE world dominant language, in a
'nicer' world the power should be shifted, but it's not for obvious reasons many
including me and yourself have already pointed out. How realistic is it that (let's
forget the other continents for a moment) that German be the lingua franca of Europe?
Although it seems plausible I think it's HIGHLY uhlikely. Had WWII not occurred or gone
differently then the balance of linguistic power today may very be more balanced
indeed.

Edit:
Dutch for Australia? French for NZ and Australian island of Tasmania? Oh and as for
Russia... that's easy- Russian. Anyway it's all fanciful stuff, I'm just uncomfortable
with the omnipresence of English and the trend towards Americanization.

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 30 May 2014 at 9:27am

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5133 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 78 of 176
30 May 2014 at 10:16am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Europe is my main contention. Europe in my opinion (perhaps with Asia too) is tipping the balance far too much in favour for English dominance. German makes sense to be the European lingua franca. It's spoken by more natives there than any other language and is in fact smack bang in the centre of Europe geographically.

IMHO, German is not a perfect lingua franca for Europe. It's morphologically more complex than English, has many sounds that learners struggle with and, unlike French, it never really was a universally recognized lingua franca in the last centuries.
German also wouldn't work for historical reasons. The infamous English spelling reform joke comes to mind.

Logically speaking, there's only one candidate for a European lingua franca other than English: French.

1. French used to be a high prestige lingua franca among Europe's elite and still is a lingua franca in large parts of Africa.

2. Most EU organizations are based in Brussels, Belgium and most Eurocrats have at least a smattering of French and most likely wouldn't mind if French became the preferred EU language for conducting EU affairs.
4 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 79 of 176
30 May 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Europe is my main contention. Europe in my
opinion (perhaps with Asia too) is tipping the balance far too much in favour
for English dominance. German makes sense to be the European lingua franca. It's spoken
by more natives there than any other language and is in fact smack bang in the centre
of Europe geographically.

IMHO, German is not a perfect lingua franca for Europe. It's morphologically
more complex than English, has many sounds that learners struggle with and, unlike
French, it never really was a universally recognized lingua franca in the last
centuries.
German also wouldn't work for historical reasons. The infamous
English spelling
reform joke
comes to mind.

Logically speaking, there's only one candidate for a European lingua franca other
than English: French.

1. French used to be a high prestige lingua franca among Europe's elite and still is a
lingua franca in large parts of Africa.

2. Most EU organizations are based in Brussels, Belgium and most Eurocrats have at
least a smattering of French and most likely wouldn't mind if French became the
preferred EU language for conducting EU affairs.

Yeah I know, I prefer French (still like German) and I agree with all your points, I
was basing my argument on native speakers and a little more balanced world approach
(linguistically), I believe that French being a lingua franca for Europe is more
plausible for Europe tho, and if Africa does indeed become more and more francophone,
with it's proximity to Europe, and if the current trend of English abates somewhat this
might be possible. For now tho it will remain English, one can only hope. Some years
ago France proposed that the EU have only a handful of working languages I believe it
was English, French, German, Spanish and Italian. The Netherlands opposed this and so
the idea was squashed. Perhaps, despite the Dutch protecting their culture, had they
not done so, we might be ironically in a better position now and into the future
without a single language becoming a default main language.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4702 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 80 of 176
30 May 2014 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
But is there really a trend toward English in South America? It seems to be the
opposite, that the US is becoming more bilingual Spanish. Which is either cool (to
some of us) or horrifying (to a lot of others).   Basic knowledge of Spanish is already
a de facto requirement for a lot of social service jobs.

I'm also surprised that English is more 'international' in Europe than French is, but I
also feel that 'it was what it is,' and that these things evolve organically. In Lyon,
the Frenchiest French city I visited (and I mean that as a complete compliment) I was
surprised at how many people spoke English, at how well they spoke it, and how eager
they were to speak English with me - I didn't encounter this at all in the more
typical tourist areas of France.

The explanation I got is similar to what Doitsujin noted. There are a lot of cultural
connections between northern France and Germany, and the French guys said it was easier
for them to learn English than German, and conversely easier for the Germans to learn
English than French. It wasn't even political, and didn't have much at all to do with
the US or the UK - it was just the easiest common ground for them to find.

(and to back up, I wasn't trying to quash the conversation earlier, just move it back
to languages. One side of my family left the US to Brazil and Chile during the
McCarthy era, and the Chilean side fled again after the coup. And it was a bit weird
getting lectured by a guy in the UK on things that are a basic part of my family
history. So it was either engage, or try to get back to languages).

Edited by kanewai on 30 May 2014 at 11:30am

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version