Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 21 22 Next >>
PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 145 of 176
04 June 2014 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

6) Students and children begin speaking more and more English with each other at home,
outside their work place and school, as do work collegues in European countries.

When do work colleagues in European countries speak English with each other? Surely the
only time English is used is when people are present who are from a different country
and don't know the local language? Or if some official protocol says that a meeting
must take place in English. But why would two Portuguese people converse in English if
nobody else was there?

Through marriage, I have contact with the German-speaking world. I have yet to witness
a situation whereby German people spoke English among themselves other than to include
any non-German speakers who happen to be in the group.

This is a prediction, not stating it as a fact- furthermore I said it 'could' occur.
Currently it seems unlikely but there is a possibility it will change. Germany may be a
slower on the uptake tho considering the strength of German in Europe and the fact
their education system is not as 'English-happy' as many other European countries
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 146 of 176
04 June 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
This should keep you all busy for awhile: a study out of the UK on the
future of
English:

EnglishNext

Though ... sorry, Peter ... it's going to refute almost every single one of your
points. On the other hand, you might actually like the conclusions (that international
English dominance is diminishing rapidly):

I just finished going through this 'book'. I read all the pages up to 88 then began
looking for main points. I found it on the whole definitely suggesting a pattern of a
move towards a global English, but as you suggested it did mention a fall later on. The
'fall' is a little vague but I guess it's hard to detail something that's in the
distant future. These are the major points I came across (some of this just copied
straight out of the article, other points are my words summarising their points as copy
& paste stopped functioning):

English is at the centre of many globalisation mechanisms. Its future in
Asia is likely to be closely associated with future patterns of globalisation

Current enthusiasm for English in the world is closely tied to the complex processes of
globalisation. . On the one hand, the availability of
English as a global language is accelerating
globalisation.... globalisation
is accelerating the use of English.

Page 38 - English could be marginalizing minorities affecting their opportunities in a
given economical environment

There is, however, another dimension to
this. English is a necessary skill for many
of these workers: for example, Malaysia in
2003 made basic proficiency in English a
requirement for all foreign employees, just
as Bangladesh signed an agreement to
send 200,000 workers to Malaysia

Remittance is important to developing nations economies (so the need for English
language skills of those migrating elsewhere is required as these workers seek
employment in wealthier countries to work and send remittance money home to families)

Internal migration (India for ex):
Many rural migrants
seek employment in one of the hospitality
industries where some level of English is
expected. Because the language of the city
is often different from that of their home
area, new linguistic skills are acquired, and
a linguistic conduit established between
the urban and rural varieties. If life in the
city goes well, the worker may be joined
by the children who will also acquire new
languages (pos feedback mechanism)

Internet less English dominated nowadays.

Internet allows for study of less known languages

News reporting in Arabic took middle east by storm when Al Jazeera launched.
Al Jazeera now has English news, as does Russia, France, Germany (national language
news and English language news)

linguistic diversity
may be seen as a threat to the maintenance
of a harmonious society in which now allows for much easier survival of foreign
immigrants continuing to use their own language in the new country within communities-
but multilingual societies can be more easily sustained

In Singapore English has gradually shifted from a second language to the main language
used at home (while both Mandarin and dialect has dropped significantly).

In India English is often used among young ppl to form relationships, mothers and
fathers may have different linguistic backgrounds in which English is used as opted as
the best option.

Fall in the number of languages began before English rose to prominence as a major
world language. English does however pose a threat to national languages.

Mandarin teaching growing- expectations of 100million in coming years (still far less
than English)

Developing world going through big educational system changes in a globalized world
including improving national proficiency in English

English has moved from foreign language to ‘basic skill’ in many countries' educational
systems

Universities competing on a global stage and teaching more and more in English as they
compete for researchers, teachers and students and thereby raise their profile

In 2003-2004 1500 masters programs across Europe where English is not the national
language. Weak English skills has been cited in research as a major problem with Indian
and Chinese university graduates to seeking employment in an international
company/setting

English competes with French Portuguese in Africa as medium of instruction in education
(Senegal for ex)

Estimated 53% of international university students world-wide study in English speaking
countries. 2nd is 11% in French, 3rd: 9% in German.

Teaching other subjects via the medium of English has increased across Europe since
it’s inception in the 90’s in Finland

English language teaching in school across the globe is increasing, the age at which it
begins is being continually lowered and the amount of educational institutions teaching
English across Europe has been increasing

In Japan the company that owns Berlitz reports attendance to English conversational
classes for 5 year olds up from 8% in 2000 to 21% in 2005. A trend apparently common
throughout Asian countries.

Countries aspiring to major changes to their languages (these statements made usually
by each country’s leader of state):

Colombia: bilingualism in 10 years.
Mongolia: seeking bilingualism with English.
Chile: bilingual in a generation.
South Korea: aspiring for English to be official language in 'enterprise zones'.
Taiwan: 80% of public opinion poll want English to be added as official language.
In Switzerland’s German speaking area English to be introduced as 1st foreign language
taught before French.
English replacing Russian as main foreign languge taught in Baltic states
English compulsory in Chinese primary schools. 176million ppl in China studying English
in 2005.
Philippines are debating whether to make English the language of instruction at all
levels of education.
Taiwan, Japan, Thailand all introduced initiatives to improve teaching of English
language instruction in 2005

English language instruction in universities to ‘flow down’ to secondary schools.

English learning enthusiasm to peak at around 2 billion learners and fall off from
there as a saturation point is reached.

Anti-American sentiments are at their highest point ever (2005) while china is viewed
more favourably in most countries.

Media beginning to be more international than American dominated.

Spanish telenovelas crossing into English language viewing space in US

Many countries in Europe have adopted language protection laws in recent years.

Teaching mother tongue via education should be supported as very important

Teaching English at young age with respect to Asia could be changing the culture of
those countries

The proliferation of English learning in some cases emphasizes the importance of
learning any foreign language in relation to trade

English speaking countries may adopt more foreign language learning of the languages
that their immigrant populations speak

Cost of learning English low,
Cost of learning other languages is high
----------------------------------------

All in all a very interesting but big read. I think it supports my thoughts on
globalization being tied to English, not necessarily Americanization, supports some of
my fanciful predictions on how English will gain ground as global language or how it
already is, but doesn't talk much about it supplanting other languages. It does mention
that English is a threat to national languages (without a lot of explanation). The main
part which is different to my thoughts is that it predicts a decrease in English
language learning in the near-ish future.

An interesting read kanewai, cheers mate

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4435 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 147 of 176
04 June 2014 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
Good luck to Colombia in their quest for bilingualism in 10 years. They're going to need it.

Edited by beano on 04 June 2014 at 11:42am

beano
Diglot
Joined 4435 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 

Message 148 of 176
04 June 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
James29 wrote:

Individual people decide what language to speak/learn. They all do it for different
reasons. If an overwhelming amount of people decide on their own that they want to
know/learn English in order to improve their lives, who are you to say they are wrong
and you are right?   

Here you need to learn English in order to graduate from school. If you refuse, you
can't move up the grades in any subject. You would theoretically stay in first grade
(and redo all the subjects several times) until you leave school with 15 and then
wouldn't find any job. Is this not punishing? You are refused access to the education
system if you refuse to learn English, no matter whether English is needed for your
future job or not. One is free not to learn it of course. One is also free to kill
oneself (but if you survive, you get punished for trying ;) ).

Although, as we all know, "learning" a language in school doesn't always lead to the ability to speak it in real life. Most education systems have a foreign language as part of their program. Today it tends to be English whereas French or other languages might have had priority in the past.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 149 of 176
04 June 2014 at 12:00pm | IP Logged 
cpnlsn88 wrote:

People tend to see this as a threat to the national languages but, whilst they may lose
international prestige, they are not threatened as languages, however much people fear
the predominance of English. There are however a very large number of minority
languages and dialects all over Europe that are under very real threat of a slow
extinction - for instance one may mention Alsatian and Lorraine Franconian in France.
These languages are not under any threat from English but rather the (longstanding)
threat posed by linguistic uniformity at the national level.

If English was used more commonly as a second language in the EU I can imagine this
would increase labour mobility and intra-EU trade considerably so there could be real
economic benefits from that.

I think if national language laws weren't in place, English would pose a real threat to
national languages. Take the Netherlands for example with large immigrant populations
that in the past didn't speak Dutch. They apparently (I lived there briefly, locals
informed me and some reading too)... anyway they apparently communicated in their own
languages or English since they had learned English. This is part of the reason it
became law the Dutch must be learned for long-term residents. Other European countries
adopted similar laws.

Leading on from that, and taking into account your increased labour mobility in the EU
via large scale English 2nd language adoption I see a problem. Let's imagine a heap of
people moving to other countries. It's likely to affect smaller countries first, so
let's take Denmark for example, shall we... Okay so heaps of Germans, French, Spanish
and Eastern Europeans doesn't really matter who (ex Swedes and Norwegians would prob
learn Danish relatively easily), so they all move to Denmark for work as it's going
though an economic boom of sorts (this isn't real just to clarify). Okay now the
population isn't that high 6 million if i recall correctly. There becomes a very
significant number of immigrants who all communicate in English, not Danish. Okay if
language laws are in place if they don't learn Danish they leave (mobility no longer
very mobile, and possibly illegal as restricting free movement of people- an EU
cornerstone and right). If they are allowed to stay and speak English as it's the
lingua franca for Europe what will eventually occur to the national language over time?

This is why I feel the EU COULD be bad for languages. If the EU wants to improve labour
mobility, yet nation states want to protect their languages it becomes a very tricky
situation.

I know in southern Spain there are areas that are over 50% foreign ownership made up of
generally northern Europeans taking advantage of their rights as EU citizens moving to
a sunny climate, can you blame them? I'm not telling them what they should do, and
Spanish is a lot safer in this scenario compared to my Danish scenario but the EU could
spark the denegration of national languages could it not? (if labour mobility barriers
are taken away such as high proficiency language tests).

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 150 of 176
04 June 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Good luck to Colombia in their quest for bilingualism in 10 years. They're
going to need it.

I agree. I doubt their policy has taken that desired direction. Whilst I'm sure other
countries on the list are prob doing ok.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 151 of 176
04 June 2014 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
daegga wrote:
James29 wrote:

Individual people decide what language to speak/learn. They all do it for different
reasons. If an overwhelming amount of people decide on their own that they want to
know/learn English in order to improve their lives, who are you to say they are wrong
and you are right?   

Here you need to learn English in order to graduate from school. If you refuse, you
can't move up the grades in any subject. You would theoretically stay in first grade
(and redo all the subjects several times) until you leave school with 15 and then
wouldn't find any job. Is this not punishing? You are refused access to the education
system if you refuse to learn English, no matter whether English is needed for your
future job or not. One is free not to learn it of course. One is also free to kill
oneself (but if you survive, you get punished for trying ;) ).

Although, as we all know, "learning" a language in school doesn't always lead to the
ability to speak it in real life. Most education systems have a foreign language as
part of their program. Today it tends to be English whereas French or other languages
might have had priority in the past.

I agree, but English stands a better chance now than other languages did in the past.
The benefit of hindsight with regards to rubbish teaching methods in the past. English
is taught via the context of other subjects in many cases (eg Geography taught in
English) which gives it meaning as opposed to abstract analysis. Also almost everyone
in Europe is learning English so there's no feeling of isolation, proficiency tests in
Europe must work to some degree as the Dutch certainly speak English well. Old methods
have been improved upon. I learned French in high school and by 'learned' I mean I
learned about three words, literally. I hated it and I slipped under the radar and
still passed it 2 out of 3 years... just by guessing my way through multiple choice
tests and so on. There's also a lot of incentive for young people with access to a lot
of 'cool' English language media. That's something I never had with French in high
school (I think English speaking countries have been particularly bad in past decades
at teaching foreign languages).

beano
Diglot
Joined 4435 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 

Message 152 of 176
04 June 2014 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if the teaching itself is that bad. After all, why should a British language teacher be any less creative or enthusiastic than a continental counterpart? I think the main reason British kids are so poor at languages is that they already know that they will have little practical use for French or German in later life and there is precious little reinforcement outside the classroom. Also, is it realistic to expect schoolchildren to become strong speakers? Kids who study physics or chemistry aren't all that advanced in these disciplines either at the age of 16. A few are, but you could say the same about the handful of "language nerds"

Edited by beano on 04 June 2014 at 2:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version