Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 21 22 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 57 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:

I could say the same thing, and that could be the reason why I was stuck
with English
and am a native Anglophone
instead of bilingual or trilingual from childhood...

How dare your parents raise you to be a native in the world's dominant language, with
the sexiest accents of the existing English accents. They should be put in jail for the
suffering endured by you as a result of their choice.

I note the sarcasm, but I was wondering if the "sexiest accent" thing was also sarcasm
or in jest. Anyone who has heard Manc accent knows that it is not exactly Inspector
Morse Oxford refined speech.

I could have been (semi-)Hispanophone if I were taught another language, or perhaps
something else as well. What if someone wanted to keep my language free from English
interference? Latin America seem quite happy to not have to be influenced so much by
Anglophone media. Spain, France, and Portugal as well.

Is there not a saying in Latin America about "gringo go home", "Tío Sam",
"imperialismo", "fascismo" that seems to pervade? I think that they refuse English from
historical events.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 May 2014 at 1:04am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:49am | IP Logged 
1e4e6, the best way to promote multilingualism to your kids is not loathing your native language and keeping them from consuming the same media as their peers. It's showing them the wonders, beauty and secrets of any language you know, including your native language. Unless the situation changes dramatically, your kids are likely to be unhappy if you force them to learn English the non-native way.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3895 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 59 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

I note the sarcasm, but I was wondering if the "sexiest accent" thing was also sarcasm
or in jest. Anyone who has heard Manc accent knows that it is not exactly Inspector
Morse Oxford refined speech.

I was lumping the several existing UK accents into one, I was actually thinking about
the "posh" UK accent.

Quote:

What if someone wanted to keep my language free from English interference?

Look at the world. Are more people making an effort to learn English, or are more
people making an effort to Spanish/Portuguese? If you have a kid, with his/her own free
will and dreams and desires, would he/she rather be Spanish language native or an
english language native?

You are now a native of one of the most prosperous nations in the world, with all its
resources at your disposal. Use them, and learn whatever language you want.

Quote:
Spain, France, and Portugal as well.

These countries are learning English. Hollywood shows are huge in many of them.

Quote:

Is there not a saying in Latin America about "gringo go home", "Tío Sam",
"imperialismo", "fascismo" that seems to pervade? I think that they refuse English from
historical events.

And yet their citizens emigrate to US in huge numbers.

Edited by Gemuse on 30 May 2014 at 1:53am

4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 60 of 176
30 May 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
This might be a reason why Anglophone influence and its persuasive force are not seen
as a positive factor in Latin America, due to
imperialistic goals of Anglophone powers that
changed life there completely (in a very negative way). I believe that Peter had
already
introduced this concept.

It might also be why Latin America have recently established many economic ties with
Russia (and thence the USSR in that time frame as well), and the PRC, instead of the
USA.
I believe that Rousseff already cancelled some military purchase from the USA and opted
for Russia instead this year. Bolivia, Ecuador, Argentina, Chile, Uruguay, Brasil,
Nicaragua, Cuba, and probably more are right now strengthening their ties with the
traditional Eastern Bloc. Venezuela's Foreign Secretary
just met with Sergey Lawrow today in Leningrad.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 May 2014 at 1:18am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5579 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 61 of 176
30 May 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
Gemuse, my point was that without that linguistic background in the Commonwealth, English wouldn't have spread the way it did. Certainly not at the same speed, and possibly not to the same extent.

As for Koreans and surgery ... let's not talk about Koreans and surgery.

Quote:

Quote:
Spain, France, and Portugal as well.

These countries are learning English. Hollywood shows are huge in many of them.

Many of them subtitled or overdubbed. Actually, every single one I ever had the pleasure to have to watch.
I've talked to many people who were trying to learn English, but felt very uncomfortable having to speak it.

Quote:
And yet their citizens emigrate illegally to US in huge numbers.

Legally, too, by the way. Doesn't mean they have to love English or US culture, they may just be treating it as an economic necessity, just like your attitude towards German seems to be.
3 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 62 of 176
30 May 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
Gollum87 wrote:
I don't have a problem with English dominance... People around the
world should understand eachother..
What i don't like is the strong influence of English on other languages..
Recently, many English words have been used in Serbian slang (I guess it happens with
other languages too)... I hope, in 100 years we won't speak a mix of English and our
own language.. but I think it is normal for a strong and dominante language (and
culture) to have an influence on smaller ones...

I agree, some would say it is enriching other languages as Norman French did for
English, but I would argue it's eroding them.

This article has the title "How English Affects My Native Language"
(could not find author)
Here's some of the text:

So now you finally speak that foreign language and, like me, live in that language
community, spending 95% of your time expressing yourself in English. Does it affect
your mother tongue? Most definitely.

I’m not talking about people who develop a thick accent, sound awkward speaking their
first language, or even forget it. It takes a lot of time and serious native language
exclusion to end up in such a situation. It is sad, and it is not my point.

My point is that there are some minor changes in the way we speak our first language,
when the second language becomes the primary communication tool. Here’s what I’ve
noticed analyzing my own speech.

Grammar:

Use of nominal modifiers (one noun precedes another and modifies it), e.g., Facebook
application =application for Facebook, an office desk= a desk for an office, etc. It’s
a characteristic feature of English and something that almost never happens in Russian,
yet I caught myself trying to use nouns in this function.
English in its standard form doesn’t allow the use of double negation, e.g., I don’t
want no boring grammar lessons. Russian gladly accepts double No Nos. Nevertheless, I
started carefully avoiding double negatives in my Russian as well.
Vocabulary:

From time to time I experience a desperate need for the Russian equivalents of some
frequently used English words, for example “busy”, “excited”,” all set”, “internship”,
“roommate”, etc. I can definitely find words to express the idea, but it doesn’t sound
same concise and well-rounded.
Is that just me? Or is that a fascinating thing that all immigrants and expats have to
deal with?

Some respondents replied with similar stories on how the language is affecting their
own mother tongue.

Edit: Of course all languages have been/are affected by other languages to some degree.
I guess the blaringly obvious issue today is the extent to which one language alone is
affecting more languages than on a larger scale than any other language has done in the
past- this risks a walk down the path of cultural and linguistic hegemy

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 30 May 2014 at 1:53am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4702 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 63 of 176
30 May 2014 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
This might be a reason why Anglophone influence and its persuasive force
are not seen as a positive factor in Latin America,

You might want to check your facts. World public opinions survey show the opposite:
the countries where the US had the worst 20th century track record have a better
opinion than those where we have the best. So we get:

Philippines: 82% positive
Central America: 64%
Chile: 55%
Brazil: 53%

Whereas among our recent allies it's only 34% for Japan, 39% for Germany and
India, 48% for the UK, 45% for France, 45% for Egypt (understandable), 13% for Mexico
(understandable), 9% for Pakistan (very understandable), and 13% for Turkey (the second
lowest, and I can't explain why)

And yet I don't know, and haven't seen evidence, that any of this impacts anyone's
language study in those places. In Japan the second languages of choice were English
and Chinese. In Turkey it was German and English. Even Egyptian students I know who
have almost no interest in the US or the UK still speak English well.

source:
http://worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/views_on_countri esregions_bt/660.php?
lb=brglm&pnt=660&nid=&id=

edit: Response to Gemuse. Yeah, I debated whether to use the words "recent" or even
"allies." As usual, it's complicated. A lot of countries were officially part of the
'non aligned' movement during the Cold War. The US and Egypt (at least, the Egyptian
generals) established relations in the early 1970's, and the US & India have been
called 'less than allies but more than friends.'

Edited by kanewai on 30 May 2014 at 4:10am

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3895 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 64 of 176
30 May 2014 at 2:14am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

recent allies it's only 34% for Japan, 39% for Germany and
India, 48% for the UK, 45% for France, 45% for Egypt (understandable), 13% for Mexico
(understandable), 9% for Pakistan (very understandable), and 13% for Turkey (the second
lowest, and I can't explain why)

Dont know about Japan, Egypt and Turkey, but apart from them (and India), havent the
other countries been US allies for a long long time?

Edited by Gemuse on 30 May 2014 at 2:15am

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version