Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 21 22 Next >>
Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 41 of 176
29 May 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

I have never heard of the latter two. And if BBC is so unpopular, then why is it on the
television of basically every hotel wherein I have lodged around the world?

As I have said, the last time that I have seen Anglophone films was 1997, with the
Leoncardo DiCaprio and Celine Dion Titanic and Mr Bean. I felt that there are
much better things to watch if this is the best of the best of the Anglophone media.

The USA are not the dominant ones in music, how about the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led
Zeppelin, Def Leppard, the Animals, Peter and Gordon, Wings, John Lennon, Queen....?

I also am fairly sure that India (British India?) did not learn English because of the
USA, I think that English already existed there before the USA were a nation.

BBC is "popular" because of BBC News. American news channels are trash.

Yes, English was forced upon India by the british. But why has it continued to grow
after the british left (it is not spoken natively)?

Edited by Gemuse on 29 May 2014 at 11:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4458 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 42 of 176
29 May 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I can understand the hunger of someone from a developing country to learn English in the hope of pulling himself out of a precarious situation, but have to admit that the ardor with which some people from highly developed economies where plenty of opportunities already exist pursue the same goal, and sometimes in the process deprecate their own culture and country in favor of cottoning onto all things "America," kind of boggles my mind.

Edited by tastyonions on 29 May 2014 at 11:48pm

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 43 of 176
29 May 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:

I have never heard of the latter two. And if BBC is so unpopular, then why is it on the
television of basically every hotel wherein I have lodged around the world?

As I have said, the last time that I have seen Anglophone films was 1997, with the
much better things to watch if this is the best of the best of the Anglophone media.

The USA are not the dominant ones in music, how about the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led
Zeppelin, Def Leppard, the Animals, Peter and Gordon, Wings, John Lennon, Queen....?

I also am fairly sure that India (British India?) did not learn English because of the
USA, I think that English already existed there before the USA were a nation.

BBC is "popular" because of BBC News. American news channels are trash.

Yes, English was forced upon India by the british. But why has it continued to grow
after the british left (it is not spoken natively)?

Perhaps education, i.e. the language of instruction is mandated to be English? Half of
my family are from British Empire colonies and I know all too well that English was
taught in schools whether the students wanted it or not. If one is educated from
primary school past univiersity into post-doctorate level, how can one not be fluent in
English?

Whether or not they be native speakers, people are educated in English in Singapore,
Malaya, British Africa, the British West Indies (i.e. Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana), Hong
Kong (before handover and still even now), Belize/British Honduras, etc. That is why
many of my classmates who are not native speakers are Indian, Pakistani, Malayans,
Singaporeans, Sri Lankans...

Also, the UK gave passports and citizenship to citizens of its colonies. That is one
reason why many of my family had British passports from just living in colonies without
ever having entered the UK. The dream of emigrating from the third world to the UK,
knowing already the language as a native speaker, and having citizenship and a
passport, is one reason for English to have its status without even knowing about the
USA.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 29 May 2014 at 11:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 44 of 176
29 May 2014 at 11:32pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
   with the

You would be correct if those were even close to the best of the Anglophone media.

They are not.
"The Wire", "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" ... these are shows to watch.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 45 of 176
29 May 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

Perhaps education, i.e. the language of instruction is mandated to be English?

Um, NO. Education is not mandated to be in English. None of my family members (close or
distant) were taught in English. My science and math texts were however in English
(but taught in Hindi) because English is the dominant language of science/math.

Quote:

Whether or not they be native speakers, people are educated in English in Singapore,
Malaya, British Africa, the British West Indies (i.e. Jamaica, Trinidad, Guyana), Hong
Kong (before handover and still even now), Belize/British Honduras, etc. That is why
many of my classmates who are not native speakers are Indian, Pakistani, Malayans,
Singaporeans, Sri Lankans...

Yes, but it's not forced on us. It is a choice that the country keeps making, based
upon the economic realities.

Quote:

Also, the UK gave passports and citizenship to citizens of its colonies. That is one
reason why many of my family had British passports from just living in colonies without
ever having entered the UK. The dream of emigrating from the third world to the UK,
knowing already the language as a native speaker, and having citizenship and a
passport, is one reason for English to have its status without even knowing about the
USA.

That citizenship AFAIK cannot be inherited. It was a one time deal.

Presently, When Indians get EU Schengen visas, authorizing us to travel anywhere
inside the Schengen block, we cannot travel by British Airways. Why? Because the BA hub
is Heathrow, and Britain does not allow us to *even airport transit* via UK with a
Schengen visa.

Edited by Gemuse on 29 May 2014 at 11:55pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 46 of 176
29 May 2014 at 11:49pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
some people from highly developed economies where plenty of
opportunities already exist pursue the same goal, and sometimes in the process deprecate
their own culture and country

Which developed countries would these be?

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4682 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 47 of 176
29 May 2014 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
BBC is "popular" because of BBC News. American news channels are trash

I was about to object ... but then I saw you were talking about news. And yeah,
our news channels are an embarrassment to the country. The best American source now,
and I wish I were kidding, is Comedy Central.

But otherwise, American tv is having a new golden age. It started with a small handful
of great series (The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under), and now the quality
has just sky rocketed. I've gone from not even having a tv to having a watch-list that
includes great dramas like Game of Thrones, Justified, Nurse Jackie, The Americans,
True Detective, Sons of Anarchy
, and Orange is the New Black. And then there
are trashy fun shows like Archer, American Horror Story, Vikings, and
Spartacus. I don't think we've ever had so many quality shows before.

I don't know how many of these have gone international, but they are all better than
99% of Hollywood's movies. And that includes Titanic.   

shk00design wrote:
The Mayans who kept their knowledge in books were burned until more
recently their language is being deciphered.

Technically, Mayan writing was lost, but it's still very much a living language (or
languages) in parts of Mexico and most of Guatemala.

Edited by kanewai on 30 May 2014 at 12:05am

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 48 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

But otherwise, American tv is having a new golden age. It started with a small handful
of great series (The Sopranos, The Wire, Six Feet Under), and now the quality has just
sky rocketed. I've gone from not even having a tv to having a watch list that includes
dramas like Game of Thrones, Justified, Nurse Jackie, The Americans, True Detective,
Sons of Anarchy, & Orange is the New Black.

I do not like some of those shows. Like Orange..Black. Whiney protagonist.
A better replacement would be House of Cards. Or, The Good Wife (seriously, give this
show a try despite its title).

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version