Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12 ... 21 22 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 89 of 176
30 May 2014 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
Replacing English with German or French will achieve nothing. What Europe needs is to acknowledge that for most people, there's no need to speak perfect English, and it's much more beneficial to learn (at least;)) one more language to B1 in addition to it. Apart from Basque and Hungarian, pretty much any European language is mutually intelligible with something else or not far from that (ie you can have comprehensible input from the beginning). It's relatively common to speak a Romance language natively and learn one or even a few more, but this often happens at the expense of English, and choosing "the easy way" is also mocked. But at least people still learn these languages. Unfortunately it's much less common in other groups/families.

Basically I think that learning other languages should be promoted, especially those that can be learned relatively easily, sometimes even more easily than English (depends on one's native language). And we should all aim to communicate with our neighbours like Scandinavians do (although even they are starting to use English more. I think that's very sad).

Edited by Serpent on 30 May 2014 at 2:38pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4435 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 90 of 176
30 May 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
beano wrote:

In Europe, more books are published in German than in any other language

If this is true I doubt it will continue for long, and I'm basing my argument on
current trends not a far off possible future... take this quote for example:

Why wouldn't it be true? German is the most widely-spoken native language in the EU by a good 20-30 million. Their publishing industry is very strong and Europe's biggest book fair takes place in Frankfurt. I'm talking about all books here, not just university texts. Granted, many books are translated from English originals but they're still published in German.

Edited by beano on 30 May 2014 at 4:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6722 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 176
30 May 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And we should all aim to communicate with our neighbours like Scandinavians do (although even they are starting to use English more. I think that's very sad).

This I can't believe. The only times I've spoken English with fellow Scandinavians has been in company with other Anglophones. Anytime a Norwegian or Dane visits the library, they speak their native language, I (and anyone else) responds in Swedish and everyone is happy.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4520 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 92 of 176
30 May 2014 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
I had a Dane as a volunteer colleague in Romania who preferred to speak English with
Swedes...
3 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4686 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 93 of 176
30 May 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
I've had to speak in English with Danes before, simply because they struggled with my
dialect, and speaking standardised Norwegian just feels...weird.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5147 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 94 of 176
30 May 2014 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
Hm. I have never, ever spoken English with other Scandinavians, but I know some Danes and Swedes
sometime struggle a little, and young people particularly have less and less exposure.
2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4103 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 95 of 176
30 May 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I found a link about
anglicismos en español,
where
apparently the director of la RAE stated that borrowing words from English is
detrimental
to other languages, including Spanish. Interestingly, he also said that it thought that
it was a pity that Spanish was not the language of science and technology. I am unsure
exactly how the RAE are viewed nowadays, but if Hispanophones wish to conserve Spanish
without Anglophone influence, perhaps Spain and Latin America supporting the RAE would
help more.

He even said that que-amenaza-salud-del-castellano">Anglicisms were like a virus to the Spanish
language

Anglicismos are also discussed in daily issues in
141314388.html">everyday lives of Hispanophones, where the title says,
"Anglicisms: Welcome Them or Reject Them?".

The link is messed up again, but it is
      https://mx.mujer.yahoo.c om/blo gs/coo ltura/ anglicismos-acoger los-o-
rechazarlos-
141314388.html

http://actualidad.rt.com/cultura/view/28941-Anglicismos-viru s-que-amenaza-salud-del-
castellano

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 May 2014 at 11:34pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 96 of 176
31 May 2014 at 12:33am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
beano wrote:

In Europe, more books are published in German than in any other language

If this is true I doubt it will continue for long, and I'm basing my argument on
current trends not a far off possible future... take this quote for example:

Why wouldn't it be true? German is the most widely-spoken native language in the EU by
a good 20-30 million. Their publishing industry is very strong and Europe's biggest
book fair takes place in Frankfurt. I'm talking about all books here, not just
university texts. Granted, many books are translated from English originals but they're
still published in German.

Well I'm not going to argue for English' side here. So if it does continue (German
being this strong with books) I'd be glad. I just find some of the statistics on
English quite frightening. Why can't scientific research take place in other languages?
It used to! It's all to do with a large audience I guess and that is sad too

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version