Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 21 22 Next >>
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 105 of 176
31 May 2014 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I'm definitely not stating that there is no research done in other languages. I'll paste back the extrapolated information that supported my argument that research is increasingly done in English. My comments are based on a pattern that I see continuing for some time yet (English language influence via Americanization among other things). I'm not stating that the world is already English only in any avenue of life, but that it's increasingly so. This means that there are areas of life/in the world where English has made little or zero impact currently.

Really? What got me started was your very own comments about how scientific research is done nowadays in English only whereas in the past other languages were in the mix. At the end of your latest response to me you seemed to be trying to back-track. Sneaky.

beano wrote:
Why wouldn't it be true? German is the most widely-spoken native language in the EU by
a good 20-30 million. Their publishing industry is very strong and Europe's biggest
book fair takes place in Frankfurt. I'm talking about all books here, not just
university texts. Granted, many books are translated from English originals but they're
still published in German.
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Well I'm not going to argue for English' side here. So if it does continue (German
being this strong with books) I'd be glad. I just find some of the statistics on
English quite frightening. Why can't scientific research take place in other languages?
It used to! It's all to do with a large audience I guess and that is sad too

PeterMollenburg wrote:
As for your link on published science and language thread, I think you've misunderstood me. I never stated that Science was only published in English, but that it is increasingly so.

From my standpoint I see two problems:

1) Your argumentation shows the fallacy of arguing from authority. This is especially problematic given your own admission that you don't get much first-hand exposure to research papers and the issues surrounding publication languages. You don't need to be academically inclined let alone a researcher to think critically about the content and implications from your sources' authors.

PeterMollenburg wrote:
It would be nice to find out
that I've been persuaded by all the reading on the topic about English in English was
really geared towards me believing those arguments without much evidence. However I'm
yet to find statistics that suggest English is decreasing it's spread throughout the
world including in publishing and scientific avenues. Yes the information is biast
often simply because it's provided in English. It's biast because I don't read about
all topics, but I have read few research papers myself in my life and base my arguments
on the analysis of others (see above) analyzing scientific publications and the like by
percentage- ie not through reading scientific papers but via the analysis others have
done on the number of scientific papers published- a more reliable method I believe
otherwise I'd literally have to be a scientist or researcher to have a valid argument.

2) The second problem for me is that language and culture are related but they are not as tightly bound as I'm being led to believe. In this I see parallels with your stance and that of field linguists (never mind demagogues and politicians) who conflate language death or language policy with cultural suppression/ethnic discrimination or even more perversely cultural/ethnic genocide (*ugh* way to cheapen the discourse and analysis).

Cultures (and humans) encompass more than just language, and fundamentally all that they require linguistically is at least one language. These are not restricted to a particular language. In other words, culture transcends linguistic boundaries, be it based on artistic or scientific endeavors, sexual orientation, religion/spirituality, ethnic association or even just ways of life. Northern Saami is taken as a clear marker of the distinctiveness of a subset of Saamic people. Yet after going to Lapland, and studying the language on my own for a while, I'm convinced that the hypothetical death of the language wouldn't mean that the associated culture must cease to exist (to do that we'd have to exterminate the people, and eliminate all outsiders with cultural knowledge, as well as cultural artifacts so that no one else can learn about it or pass on the knowledge). There is still folklore, music, historical consciousness, spirituality, and cuisine associated with these people. The content or meaning of these elements wouldn't be diminished if they weren't expressed in Northern Saami. On a very banal level, would having a plate of sauteed reindeer be somehow less meaningful if the cook couldn't speak Northern Saami because the language was extinct? Must a joik be shut away or considered irrelevant if the Saamic languages go into oblivion?

As I stated earlier the best way to maintain language diversity is to learn, use and/or document what's out there as you see fit. The opportunity cost of bemoaning the presence of linguae francae or official languages and conflating their roles with cultural or political judgements/preferences is less time spent on learning the other languages which increases the chances of their continuing to be vibrant.

Prof. Arguelles' thread was about related idea of which languages an intellectual should know. It started to touch on language and culture, and indirectly got to the point that each person learns languages for their own reasons (or not). When people learn fewer languages (or no languages other than their first one) this weakens language diversity although it's hard to denigrate these people uniformally for their choices. Diversity in any area is something that happens rather than a cherished goal.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3896 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 106 of 176
31 May 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

American Indians, Australian aboriginals, Inca's were all doing fine before being
forced to become a part of a larger invasive culture. They'd be fine today too had they
never met white men and the perceived benefits white man brought along.

White Guilt. So this is what this is about.

We have the following two cases.
A. All races/cultures equal.
In that case someone else (Chinese/Arabs) would have taken the same imperialistic (and
maybe even more destructive) path as Caucasians.

B. Something special about the white culture (say due to which they were able to invade
other cultures).
If you claim this difference, then you also have to consider the possibility that this
difference might have made it likely that other cultures would not have developed
science and technology and medicine and farming to the same extent in the
same time-frame. Without modern medicine and farming, the world population would be
several billions less (billions would not have died, rather millions would have
died due to disease, plagues and famine, cutting off their (billions populated)
progeny lines).
Now, you may argue that these billions *should not* have existed, and their ancestors
should have perished due to ill health and food scarcity, and for this I dont have a
response.

The white legacy does not just mean slavery, colonization, Spanish Inquisition, Hitler;
it also includes penicillin, vaccines, modern farming, Maxwell's equations, Newtonian
dynamics and semiconductors which have literally changed the world.

It is a tragedy that the West views STEM with disdain.

Edited by Gemuse on 01 June 2014 at 12:06am

7 persons have voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5774 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 107 of 176
01 June 2014 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

conflate language death or language policy with cultural suppression/ethnic discrimination or even more perversely cultural/ethnic genocide (*ugh* way to cheapen the discourse and analysis).

I agree that language suppression/death should not be described as genocide of any sort. But are you really denying that language policy can be a form of cultural suppression/ethnic discrimination? What about the policies against the natives of North America which sought to discourage them from using their heritage languages?

Quote:

Cultures (and humans) encompass more than just language, and fundamentally all that they require linguistically is at least one language. These are not restricted to a particular language. In other words, culture transcends linguistic boundaries, be it based on artistic or scientific endeavors, sexual orientation, religion/spirituality, ethnic association or even just ways of life. Northern Saami is taken as a clear marker of the distinctiveness of a subset of Saamic people. Yet after going to Lapland, and studying the language on my own for a while, I'm convinced that the hypothetical death of the language wouldn't mean that the associated culture must cease to exist (to do that we'd have to exterminate the people, and eliminate all outsiders with cultural knowledge, as well as cultural artifacts so that no one else can learn about it or pass on the knowledge). There is still folklore, music, historical consciousness, spirituality, and cuisine associated with these people. The content or meaning of these elements wouldn't be diminished if they weren't expressed in Northern Saami.

I'm going to assume that the Northern Saami have songs with vocals and oral tales. These would most certainly be affected over time if Northern Saami fell out of use. I'm not saying it's so important that we should save Northern Saami for that reason, but let's acknowledge that a rhyming poem in Northern Saami isn't going to rhyme in any other language and will therefore disappear.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 108 of 176
01 June 2014 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
Chung wrote:

conflate language death or language policy with cultural suppression/ethnic discrimination or even more perversely cultural/ethnic genocide (*ugh* way to cheapen the discourse and analysis).

I agree that language suppression/death should not be described as genocide of any sort. But are you really denying that language policy can be a form of cultural suppression/ethnic discrimination? What about the policies against the natives of North America which sought to discourage them from using their heritage languages?

That was part of the age-old problem whereby one group of people tries to eliminate another that's merely different. Humans are funny that way.

Although because of the fuzzy but acknowledged link between language and culture, a policy of denigrating minority languages can often be (but not always) associated with cultural suppression or ethnic discrimination. What I had in mind is that cultural suppression or ethnic discrimination can happen within a group that speaks one language (e.g. Northern Ireland, Jim Crow laws)

lichtrausch wrote:
Chung wrote:

Cultures (and humans) encompass more than just language, and fundamentally all that they require linguistically is at least one language. These are not restricted to a particular language. In other words, culture transcends linguistic boundaries, be it based on artistic or scientific endeavors, sexual orientation, religion/spirituality, ethnic association or even just ways of life. Northern Saami is taken as a clear marker of the distinctiveness of a subset of Saamic people. Yet after going to Lapland, and studying the language on my own for a while, I'm convinced that the hypothetical death of the language wouldn't mean that the associated culture must cease to exist (to do that we'd have to exterminate the people, and eliminate all outsiders with cultural knowledge, as well as cultural artifacts so that no one else can learn about it or pass on the knowledge). There is still folklore, music, historical consciousness, spirituality, and cuisine associated with these people. The content or meaning of these elements wouldn't be diminished if they weren't expressed in Northern Saami.

I'm going to assume that the Northern Saami have songs with vocals and oral tales. These would most certainly be affected over time if Northern Saami fell out of use. I'm not saying it's so important that we should save Northern Saami for that reason, but let's acknowledge that a rhyming poem in Northern Saami isn't going to rhyme in any other language and will therefore disappear.

There is liturgical music in Latin and Old Church Slavonic and such music need not lose its significance or be cast aside as museum pieces because the associated languages are stone-dead. I think of Northern Saami vocal music in the same way ranging from a joik of minimal words to rock. The cultural loss here would be the successful suppression and elimination of such music (or even more heinously the wholesale murder of the Saami and any outsiders with knowledge of their culture, and destruction of their cultural artifacts, not just the books, dictionaries and language courses).

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5205 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 109 of 176
01 June 2014 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
The white legacy does not just mean slavery, colonization, Spanish Inquisition, Hitler;
it also includes penicillin, vaccines, modern farming, Maxwell's equations, Newtonian

You make it sound like in order to have the good, it was inevitable for the bad to have happened. Could Europe and the Americas (and the whole world) have built flourishing economies without resorting to forced labor? Could we still have semiconductors today had the American government not taken Native American children from their families and beat their mother tongues out of out of them? And it's not as if only the best came from this cultural dominance - there are many problems with modern farming and diets that we still need to resolve and many people are turning back to old world food traditions to address the issues that modern diets/SAD have created.

Chung wrote:

Although because of the fuzzy but acknowledged link between language and culture, a policy of denigrating minority languages can often be (but not always) associated with cultural suppression or ethnic discrimination. What I had in mind is that cultural suppression or ethnic discrimination can happen within a group that speaks one language (e.g. Northern Ireland, Jim Crow laws)

Even within the same language discrimination can take a linguistic turn with people who aren't born speaking the prestige dialect and who don't have the means to be well-educated in it can suffer a lifetime of ridicule and be economically disadvantaged. Language plays a huge role in fitting into the socio-economic hierarchy.

This sort of discussion is always horribly lacking when we don't have the point of view of someone who is a member of a language community that's dying out or from a minority one that was discriminated against. It's easy to argue that everything's fine when you were born into the "winning" side or when accepting the lingua franca is relatively easy (from a country that gives you resources and education in the language that give your own efforts a healthy head start) and involves little sacrifice of your own language and culture (languages/cultures that are under no threat, usually because they're protected by a strong nation-state).

Many of the languages that are dying out now are doing so because of the direct effects of colonial policies and the aftermath (once independent or once a minority group has been given legitimacy, years of association of the colonizer's language with progress and the indigenous language with backwardness being internalized doesn't just wear off). The global balance of power still reflects this dominance in many cases.

This can't just all be swept away by just saying we should ignore all the bad stuff and just look at the good. Especially when many of the victims of these policies are still living with the consequences and never reaped the economic/social rewards of forced assimilation:

Andrew Windyboy and his experience in Indian boarding schools

Not having personally experienced being colonized or living with the legacy of being on the "wrong" end of colonization myself I can't really know what it feels like to have your language and your culture killed and then to have your descendants look down on you for being "provincial" by insisting on practicing the old culture. But this passage in This Way for the Gas, Ladies and Gentlemen by Tadeusz Borowski really speaks to me about what it's like to live with the fear of being conquered and then forgotten:

Quote:
"We are laying the foundation for some new, monstrous civilization. Only now do I realize what price was paid for building the ancient civilizations. The Egyptian pyramids, the temples and Greek statues—what a hideous crime they were! How much blood must have poured on to the Roman roads, the bulwarks, and the city walls. Antiquity—the tremendous concentration camp where the slave was branded on the forehead by his master, and crucified for trying to escape! Antiquity—the conspiracy of the free men against the slaves!

.... If the Germans win the war, what will the world know about us? They will erect huge buildings, highways, factories, soaring monuments. Our hands will be placed under every brick, and our backs will carry the steel rails and the slabs of concrete. They will kill off our families, our sick, our aged. They will murder our children.
And we shall be forgotten, drowned out by the voices of the poets, the jurists, the philosophers, the priests. They will produce their own beauty, virtue, and truth. They will produce religion."

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4521 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 110 of 176
01 June 2014 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
Quote:
The white legacy does not just mean slavery, colonization, Spanish Inquisition,
Hitler;

It is not about the pros which no one denies. Assimilation is a question of autonomy, and
when someone wilfully impinges on our, illusory or not, autonomy, this engenders
resistance. The fact that having modern medicine is objectively better (is it? well I
would agree it is) doesn't mean it can be forced on a population who doesn't want it.

In communication and culture, autonomy is a necessary component.

Edited by tarvos on 01 June 2014 at 11:08pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5290 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 111 of 176
01 June 2014 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
I'm definitely not stating that there is no
research done in other languages. I'll paste back the extrapolated information that
supported my argument that research is increasingly done in English. My comments are
based on a pattern that I see continuing for some time yet (English language influence
via Americanization among other things). I'm not stating that the world is
already English only in any avenue of life, but that it's increasingly so. This means
that there are areas of life/in the world where English has made little or zero impact
currently.

Really? What got me started was your very own comments about how scientific research is
done nowadays in English only whereas in the past other languages were in the mix. At
the end of your latest response to me you seemed to be trying to back-track. Sneaky.

I never stated that scientific research is only done in English nowadays. See below my
post regarding that topic. You see a statistic quoted from the source that states 95%
not 100% (of research in that particular search done by the author). I also say at the
end of this quote that English is dominating like no other language. This is not
stating that English is the only language being published with. Look I don't want to
get into a dogfight here but I never had sneaky intentions or purposely made any
corrections or back-steps. If you can clearly find where I misled you and said
otherwise without quoting me out of context I will be all to happy to admit fault. I'm
providing evidence here if you have evidence that clearly states otherwise I will
certainly acknowledge that. Hence why I have in many of my comments done exactly that
acknowledged the other side of the argument and stated that when members make a good
point even if it's in contradiction to my stance.

PeterMollenburg wrote:

"Academia has not been spared the spread of the English language monopoly either and
French scholars have adapted the classic scholarly mandate to 'publish or perish' to
these changes, now quipping 'publish in English or perish in French'
"There is no reason to think that cultural production and intellectual activity in the
non-Anglo world is any less lively, creative or relevant than what's going on in
English" notes Naomi Buck "but every reason to believe it's reaching a smaller
audience". Already in 1997, 95% of the articles indexed in the Science Citation Index's
Web of Science were written in English, despite the fact that only half were written by
authors in English-speaking countries. Others researchers have noted that publications
written in languages other than English have a considerably lower 'impact' (measured by
frequency of citation) than English language works, and command lower compensation than
works published in English"
From "The Rise of English: The language of Globalization in China and the European
Union" by Anne Johnson
- Macalester International vol 2

Like i have said, it's about profits and capitalism, but in saying that I'm not saying
I wouldn't publish in English if I was an author, I'm just providing some sources of
evidence to support my argument that English is dominating like no other
language

beano wrote:
Why wouldn't it be true? German is the most widely-spoken native language
in the EU by
a good 20-30 million.

I think it's something more like 90-100 million. Hence the strength of the German
publishing industry which I never denied either. I simply see it potentially changing
in the future.

Chung wrote:

From my standpoint I see two problems:

1) Your argumentation shows the fallacy of arguing from authority. This is especially
problematic given your own admission that you don't get much first-hand exposure to
research papers and the issues surrounding publication languages. You don't need to be
academically inclined let alone a researcher to think critically about the content and
implications from your sources' authors.

I already clarified this. How can I possibly from my own experience make a judgement on
the number/percentage of articles published in English or other languages? I can't. Nor
can anyone else for that matter simply by reading research papers. You'll never get
through enough in a lifetime to make a judgement that's not outdated or two one
dimensional. I don't deny this. That is exactly why I quoted a source which (see it
again above) has not read all the research papers but conducted a poll of sorts on the
languages of publication of science journals- here is the quote again Already in
1997, 95% of the articles indexed in the Science Citation Index's
Web of Science were written in English
. This is research done by an author who DOES
have access to statistics from a index Are you going to tell me again that I'm
flawed? That I can't read enough research and that my argument is flawed. Again look at
the quote.

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 01 June 2014 at 1:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5290 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 112 of 176
01 June 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

2) The second problem for me is that language and culture are related but they are not
as tightly bound as I'm being led to believe. In this I see parallels with your stance
and that of field linguists (never mind demagogues and politicians) who conflate
language death or language policy with cultural suppression/ethnic discrimination or
even more perversely cultural/ethnic genocide (*ugh* way to cheapen the discourse and
analysis).

There's 2 sides to every story and your above response is no less valid than an
opposing point of view. I read only yesterday or the day before that it is true that if
95% of the worlds languages disappeared tomorrow us that are not in a minority language
groups which make up that 95% (i'm going off memory, correct me if wrong) would barely
notice it. That makes sense, and perhaps we do cling to language death a little too
much and label it a little too shocking as you've pointed out. Just to make it clear
I'm not going along with your points here to balance out my last post in which I felt
at odds with you. You have a definite valid point here. Like many things in human
existence we can certainly take the blame for being a little too protective of. However
although this point you make is not specifically about linguistic diversity I do want
to reiterate that I do prefer linguistic diversity myself.

Chung wrote:

Cultures (and humans) encompass more than just language, and fundamentally all that
they require linguistically is at least one language. These are not restricted to a
particular language. In other words, culture transcends linguistic boundaries, be it
based on artistic or scientific endeavors, sexual orientation, religion/spirituality,
ethnic association or even just ways of life.

Yes I agree culture transcends linguistic boundaries. However not all culture. The
larger languages like English and French have many peoples from many different parts of
the world and many different cultures speaking their language. However each language
generally speaking (and particularly the smaller languages) have particular unique sets
of language which encompass the culture they represent. Like the languages of
Australian aboriginals represents their cultural belief systems- it's unlikely to be
spoken of much outside their own languages as many of these languages are not well
known and have died off- so with the death of such languages does disappear culture and
knowledge and beliefs. English is different as it is spoken by many more people from
many different backgrounds. I do agree that culture can be preserved after a language
dies out, but depending on how much it's been documented only a certain percentage can
be preserved, and a culture is always better represented from the language that largely
represented it.

Chung wrote:

Northern Saami is taken as a clear marker of the distinctiveness of a subset of Saamic
people. Yet after going to Lapland, and studying the language on my own for a while,
I'm convinced that the hypothetical death of the language wouldn't mean that the
associated culture must cease to exist (to do that we'd have to exterminate the people,
and eliminate all outsiders with cultural knowledge, as well as cultural artifacts so
that no one else can learn about it or pass on the knowledge).

There is still folklore, music, historical consciousness, spirituality, and cuisine
associated with these people. The content or meaning of these elements wouldn't be
diminished if they weren't expressed in Northern Saami. On a very banal level, would
having a plate of sauteed reindeer be somehow less meaningful if the cook couldn't
speak Northern Saami because the language was extinct? Must a
joik be shut away or considered irrelevant
if the Saamic languages go into oblivion?

Ah, now I see what you're getting at- a language dies but the ppl live on with their
traditions. Interesting, but I disagree. It would only take a matter of generations for
MOST cultures to assimilate. Some are more resilient and may never fully or even
largely assimilate or take a lot longer, so perhaps it is possible some would live on
without their language, but I would believe the tide would be against them. You only
need to look at the the way the world is becoming more and more Americanized/modernized
for that evidence. Traditional costumes in most European countries are no longer worn
for that reason. People have more contact with a larger more modern culture and tend to
assimilate. Btw sounds like an excellent experience you had!

Chung wrote:

As I stated earlier the best way to maintain language diversity is to learn, use and/or
document what's out there as you see fit. The opportunity cost of bemoaning the
presence of linguae francae or official languages and conflating their roles with
cultural or political judgements/preferences is less time spent on learning the other
languages which increases the chances of their continuing to be vibrant.

Yes very true, but just to throw another counter-argument in. If the Québecois never
bothered about the pressures of English and went about learning/documenting etc
languages without instigating language protection laws regarding their own language,
how anglicized would Québec French be today?

Chung wrote:

Prof. Arguelles' thread was about related idea of which languages an intellectual
should know. It started to touch on language and culture, and indirectly got to the
point that each person learns languages for their own reasons (or not). When people
learn fewer languages (or no languages other than their first one) this weakens
language diversity although it's hard to denigrate these people uniformally for their
choices. Diversity in any area is something that happens rather than a cherished goal.

Interesting. I guess that's what I was getting at to some degree. The more people learn
the one global language the less language diversity there will be. Diversity you're
right is something that happens it seems, and it cannot be forced, but perhaps it can
be protected.

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version