Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 21 22 Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 49 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
I do not know the specific situation of each colony, but I know that my grandparents,
when in primary and secondary school, i.e. 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, were taught in
nothing else but English, knew the geography of the UK better than their own colony,
sang "God Save the King" every morning before lessons, spoke English at home and
nothing else, and had British passports (the old, blue ones with a hard cover). This is
undoubtedly due to the British Empire spanning every continent, covering one third of
the land mass of the Earth, and one-fourth if one includes oceans.

As much as I like the UK, I do not like this English language influence. My grandmother
used to travel every so often to Dutch Guiana (Suriname), the Dutch having installed in
various continents as well. But it would have been so much better if the Dutch offset
English influence with language. I am unsure why they did not. French Guiana still
exists, and France seem to not be as willing to incorporate English to that extent, so
perhaps the future lies in Spain, Portugal, Latin America, France, and the French
Empire countries. Francophone and Hispanophone countries could create a common union,
cultural and/or economic to offset English.

Surely there are other interesting televisio programmes in other languages? I, as a
native Anglophone, cannot name a list of even three Anglophone television programmes
that I know, since I watch none, and never really have besides Sky Sports cricket and
football, perhaps some nature documentary, and the documentary It's Better Up
North
. How else do Spain, Portugal, Latin America, France, and Québec have so many
television series then?

Some television series from RTVE from
Spain. As far as I know, these are more popular than anything from the Anglophone
media.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 May 2014 at 12:17am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4458 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 50 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:05am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
tastyonions wrote:
some people from highly developed economies where plenty of opportunities already exist pursue the same goal, and sometimes in the process deprecate their own culture and country

Which developed countries would these be?

As odd as it might sound given the reputation France has for cultural and linguistic pride, I have in fact experienced this kind of thing with some French learners of English. :-)

I'm not saying this is the norm, of course. But it does exist.

Edited by tastyonions on 30 May 2014 at 12:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 51 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I do not know the specific situation of each colony, but I know that my
grandparents,
when in primary and secondary school, i.e. 1910s, 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, were taught in
nothing else but English, knew the geography of the UK better than their own colony,
sang "God Save the King" every morning before lessons, spoke English at home and
nothing else, and had British passports (the old, blue ones with a hard cover). This is
undoubtedly due to the British Empire spanning every continent, covering one third of
the land mass of the Earth, and one-fourth if one includes oceans.

As much as I like the UK, I do not like this English language influence. My grandmother
used to travel every so often to Dutch Guiana (Suriname), the Dutch having installed in
various continents as well. But it would have been so much better if the Dutch offset
English influence with language. I am unsure why they did not. French Guiana still
exists, and France seem to not be as willing to incorporate English to that extent, so
perhaps the future lies in Spain, Portugal, Latin America, France, and the French
Empire countries. Francophone and Hispanophone countries could create a common union,
cultural and/or economic to offset English.

Why would it matter?

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4893 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 52 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
That lack of English skills in European countries has been mentioned a couple of times.
Ironically, I recently spoke to member of my church who travelled to Europe for 6 or 7
weeks; her exact words were "Everyone speaks Engish there. Absolutely everyone."
(She did expound upon that by saying it was mostly younger people, but still...)

I wish I had the money to find out what the truth is for myself.

In case anyone wants to know, the countries visited were (among others which I don't
remember) Denmark, France, either German or Austria, Ireland. And the trip happened 17
year ago, I believe.
1e4e6 wrote:

Also, should I have children, I would refuse to teach them English. I wish that
a
movement to boycott the teaching of English commences, especially in places that
already have some semblance thereof--Latin America and Spain and Portugal in
particular, are not the most ready to stop their languages and change to English, and I
must commend them therefore.

I always feel so sorry for people who tell me that their parents speak a language and
never bothered to teach them.

beano wrote:

In Europe, more books are published in German than in any other language.

Can you please tell me where you found that information? I've been trying to find
statistics on that sort of thing for the longest time.

Doitsujin wrote:

Yet relatively few native English speakers seem to be interested in learning German.
I.e., statistics aren't everything.

To me it seems like relatively few native English speakers seem to be (seriously)
interested in learning any foreign languages, but here in the US at least, German
resources are very easy to find which suggests that there is a fair amount of demand
for them.

Edited by Darklight1216 on 30 May 2014 at 12:25am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 53 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I do not know the specific situation of each colony, but I know that my
grandparents,
nothing else but English, ... spoke English at home and
nothing else, and had British passports (the old, blue ones with a hard cover).

Not in India.

Our community spoke L1 at home. L2 outside. And L2 at school. With English (L3) in the
english class So, not only was the British influence not strong enough to kill one
language, it wasnt even strong enough to kill the second minority language.

And still English flourishes in India.

Edited by Gemuse on 30 May 2014 at 12:24am

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 54 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:

1e4e6 wrote:

Also, should I have children, I would refuse to teach them English. I wish that
a
movement to boycott the teaching of English commences, especially in places that
already have some semblance thereof--Latin America and Spain and Portugal in
particular, are not the most ready to stop their languages and change to English, and I
must commend them therefore.

I always feel so sorry for people who tell me that their parents speak a language and
never bothered to teach them.

I could say the same thing, and that could be the reason why I was stuck with English
and am a native Anglophone instead of bilingual or trilingual from childhood...

But despite not being a native Hispanophone, I would definitely teach them that
instead. The reason obviously is that English an exception, consider I. I would wish to
emigrate someday to a non-Anglophone country so that they grow up knowing that English
is not like some god-like language that is worth more than others. I would rather teach
them Spanish, French, Dutch, and Danish all simultaneously than just English.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 30 May 2014 at 12:26am

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4682 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 55 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
The more that I read this thread, the greater sense that I get that this
is an Anglocentric linguistic variation of ideas expressed in Bruckner's The Tyranny of Guilt: An Essay on Western Masochism.

Thanks, I think I just found my next Super Challenge book! If nothing else, I love the
cover.

I'm also struggling to understand the English language hate in this thread. Would it be
any different, in the end, if the common language were Spanish, French, Arabic,
Russian, or anything else? You'd have the same impacts on smaller languages, and the
same (more or less) number of people having to learn a second language.

Edited by kanewai on 30 May 2014 at 12:36am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 56 of 176
30 May 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

I could say the same thing, and that could be the reason why I was stuck with English
and am a native Anglophone
instead of bilingual or trilingual from childhood...

How dare your parents raise you to be a native in the world's dominant language, with
the sexiest accents of the existing English accents. They should be put in jail for the
suffering endured by you as a result of their choice.

Edited by Gemuse on 30 May 2014 at 12:34am

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version