Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 21 22 Next >>
Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4914 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 97 of 176
31 May 2014 at 1:05am | IP Logged 
Radioclare wrote:
My boyfriend and I sometimes converse only in Esperanto if we're in
public in a tourist hotspot, so as to disassociate ourselves from that sort of behaviour.
I guess at least we found a use for Esperanto ;)

Plus you can be reasonably sure that no one is likely to be able to eavesdrop on your
conversation.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6970 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 98 of 176
31 May 2014 at 1:49am | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
beano wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
beano wrote:

In Europe, more books are published in German than in any other language

If this is true I doubt it will continue for long, and I'm basing my argument on
current trends not a far off possible future... take this quote for example:

Why wouldn't it be true? German is the most widely-spoken native language in the EU by
a good 20-30 million. Their publishing industry is very strong and Europe's biggest
book fair takes place in Frankfurt. I'm talking about all books here, not just
university texts. Granted, many books are translated from English originals but they're
still published in German.

Well I'm not going to argue for English' side here. So if it does continue (German
being this strong with books) I'd be glad. I just find some of the statistics on
English quite frightening. Why can't scientific research take place in other languages?
It used to! It's all to do with a large audience I guess and that is sad too

If my extrapolation based on sifting through linguistics monographs/analyses/theses is correct, research is still published in languages other than English. For Uralic languages I've seen lots of papers published on some topic pertinent to more than one branch of the group in Finnish, German, Hungarian and Russian, in addition to English. I've also seen enough journals and compilations containing monographs, articles or book reviews published also in Estonian or Northern Saami, in addition to the languages mentioned above.

Forgive me if I'm starting to come off as snide, but I'm afraid that a lot of such scientific material escapes your attention and contributes to your upset because you don't have sufficient reading knowledge of the language(s) in question to make use of such research or more fundamentally you aren't interested in those research topics in the first place. Just because you can't find it (or it doesn't come to mind), that doesn't mean automatically that it doesn't or can't exist.

I find it puzzling that you're sad about relationship between English's currency today and the large audience available precisely because of that currency brought on by the number of proficient non-natives. Do you not see value in scientists making their findings known? In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, research findings and ideas in general were typically disseminated in Latin even with the development of the printing press and the gradual trend toward using the vernacular or local language. Even as late 1770, practically the first "research paper" on the Uralic languages was published in Latin (Demonstratio idioma Hungarorum et Lapporum idem esse - “Proof that the Hungarian and Lappish languages are the same”) by a Hungarian astronomer in Lapland who stumbled on the local Saamic languages while doing astronomical research. Would this use of Latin (a dead language no less) be just about as distressing to you?

Another problem with trying to address the problem of English as a lingua franca in science (I'm with doitsujin on this one; plenty of non-natives aren't as bothered (if at all) as you are by this development and so you're looking for a solution that lacks a problem) is that it increases the chances of future repetition of how research on the jet stream came about.

On 20 November 2009 at 6:31am in “Published Science and Language”, Chung wrote:
I just came across something that I think should illustrate the point that what matters in research should be the message (i.e. the content) rather than the messenger (i.e. the language) (In a certain way, book-burning can illustrate this. John Wycliffe's books were part of a book-burning in 1410 led by the illiterate archbishop of Prague. The archbishop had presumably heard of a link between the content of Wycliffe's books and the teachings of the Czech priest and reformer, Jan Hus).

In the 1920s, a Japanese meteorologist, Wasaburo Ooishi was the first to quantify jet streams after conducting research using weather balloons. As important as his research was (and turned out to be), he published his findings in Esperanto because of his belief in the power or virtue of Esperanto. All of this was done even though he already had connections with the International Meteorological Organization and had travalled to the USA and Germany. With hindsight, he probably would have done science a bigger favour by casting a wider net by publishing in a language with greater currency). Unfortunately for him, his research as published in Esperanto was rendered effectively inaccessible because of the relatively poor currency of Esperanto, and so knowledge about the jet stream came about in fits and spurts afterwards from outside Japan and rather by accident. Indeed, the American test pilot, Wiley Post noted differences between his ground speed and airspeed while on high-altitude test flights and is widely credited for discovering (experiencing) the jet stream in 1934. German scientists in the second half of the 1930s wondered about the jet stream while pilots in WWII flying in bombing raids or transatlantic flights at high-altitude experienced the jet stream. It wasn't until 1947 when Erik Palmén of Finland while working at the Chicago School of Meteorology (part of the University of Chicago) contributed his findings on the jet stream to a groundbreaking paper (in English) of collective authorship did knowledge about the jet stream grow beyond anecdotal evidence.

This anecdote should remind people that however repugnant it seems to "homogenize" scientific publications by publishing in common or widely-used language (be it Latin in the past, English now, and who knows what in the future), the cost of limiting its spread by avoiding a common or widely-used publication language (or implicitly raising costs by hiring translators) shouldn't be overlooked.

For your interest, here is the thread.

On a related note, see also “Arguelles' Six Most Important Languages” where we touch on the idea of multilingualism and non-linguistic intellectual pursuits.
6 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5290 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 99 of 176
31 May 2014 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

If my extrapolation based on sifting through linguistics monographs/analyses/theses is
correct, research is still published in languages other than English. For Uralic
languages I've seen lots of papers published on some topic pertinent to more than one
branch of the group in Finnish, German, Hungarian and Russian, in addition to English.
I've also seen enough journals and compilations containing monographs, articles or book
reviews published also in Estonian or Northern Saami, in addition to the languages
mentioned above.

I'm definitely not stating that there is no research done in other languages. I'll
paste back the extrapolated information that supported my argument that research is
increasingly done in English. My comments are based on a pattern that I see continuing
for some time yet (English language influence via Americanization among other things).
I'm not stating that the world is already English only in any avenue of life, but that
it's increasingly so. This means that there are areas of life/in the world where
English has made little or zero impact currently.

Here's what backed up my argument earlier:

Academia has not been spared the spread of the English language monopoly either and
French scholars have adapted the classic scholarly mandate to 'publish or perish' to
these changes, now quipping 'publish in English or perish in French'
"There is no reason to think that cultural production and intellectual activity in the
non-Anglo world is any less lively, creative or relevant than what's going on in
English" notes Naomi Buck "but every reason to believe it's reaching a smaller
audience". Already in 1997, 95% of the articles indexed in the Science Citation Index's
Web of Science were written in English, despite the fact that only half were written by
authors in English-speaking countries. Others researchers have noted that publications
written in languages other than English have a considerably lower 'impact' (measured by
frequency of citation) than English language works, and command lower compensation than
works published in English"

From "The Rise of English: The language of Globalization in China and the European
Union" by Anne Johnson
- Macalester International vol 2

Chung wrote:

Forgive me if I'm starting to come off as snide, but I'm afraid that a lot of such
scientific material escapes your attention and contributes to your upset because you
don't have sufficient reading knowledge of the language(s) in question to make use of
such research or more fundamentally you aren't interested in those research topics in
the first place. Just because you can't find it (or it doesn't come to mind), that
doesn't mean automatically that it doesn't or can't exist.

I absolutely agree. And just for the record I value your input and challenges. I'm
(thankfully) coming from within an English dominated prism of things that interest me.
'Thankfully' meaning my thoughts on English language 'dominance' are biast and I hope
more biast than I realise as the spread of English to the degree it is occuring as it
is today is not necessarily a good thing in my opinion. It would be nice to find out
that I've been persuaded by all the reading on the topic about English in English was
really geared towards me believing those arguments without much evidence. However I'm
yet to find statistics that suggest English is decreasing it's spread throughout the
world including in publishing and scientific avenues. Yes the information is biast
often simply because it's provided in English. It's biast because I don't read about
all topics, but I have read few research papers myself in my life and base my arguments
on the analysis of others (see above) analyzing scientific publications and the like by
percentage- ie not through reading scientific papers but via the analysis others have
done on the number of scientific papers published- a more reliable method I believe
otherwise I'd literally have to be a scientist or researcher to have a valid argument.
I must add tho I have read some information on the topic in French too and it 'agrees'
that English is growing in strength including in areas such as scientific publication.
I would very strongly believe that you would find it very difficult to disagree that
scientific research on the whole is increasingly presented in English.

Chung wrote:

I find it puzzling that you're sad about relationship between English's currency today
and the large audience available precisely because of that currency brought on by the
number of proficient non-natives. Do you not see value in scientists making their
findings known? In the Middle Ages and Renaissance, research findings and ideas in
general were typically disseminated in Latin even with the development of the printing
press and the gradual trend toward using the vernacular or local language. Even as late
1770, practically the first "research paper" on the Uralic languages was published in
Latin (Demonstratio idioma Hungarorum et Lapporum idem esse - “Proof that the
Hungarian and Lappish languages are the same”) by a Hungarian astronomer in Lapland who
stumbled on the local Saamic languages while doing astronomical research. Would this
use of Latin (a dead language no less) be just about as distressing to you?

Would this use of Latin distress me? Depends who I am and where I live and what
language I speak and so on. ie- back then I wouldn't be who I am now, I'd be someone
else living a very different life in order to be able to experience this new spread of
Latin. If I held my same ideals as now I am not sure whether I would be distressed by
it, but if I try to be completely honest about it I probably would be, simply because
the world would be a lot 'smaller' and if Europe was my world and I felt passionate
about language diversity back then as I do now I probably wouldn't like it. Ironic
since I learn French now, a romance language with Latin origins. Ironic because Latin
would later give rise to French. Maybe one day I'll be a citizen of the universe
studying English from Earth, Hopskotchiantonium from planet Fry-a-lot and &**$$ from
planet ---+++;;; . I see your point, and I understand language evolution is a seemingly
natural occurance with perceived benefits and perceived losses. Coming from the point
of view of a person who really loves different languages (and not a scientist,
publisher, or musician) I'd much rather see the world heading in a direction in which
one language is not spreading so powerfully as it appears to be today. I might add that
my wishes are probably devoid of a lot of logic, as I know there's no stopping
linguistic evolution.

Chung wrote:

Another problem with trying to address the problem of English as a lingua franca in
science (I'm with doitsujin on this one; plenty of non-natives aren't as bothered (if
at all) as you are by this development and so you're looking for a solution that lacks
a problem) is that it increases the chances of future repetition of how research on the
jet stream came about.

On 20 November 2009 at 6:31am in “Published Science and Language”, Chung wrote:
I just
came across something that I think should illustrate the point that what matters in
research should be the message (i.e. the content) rather than the messenger (i.e. the
language) (In a certain way, book-burning can illustrate this. John Wycliffe's books
were part of a book-burning in 1410 led by the illiterate archbishop of Prague. The
archbishop had presumably heard of a link between the content of Wycliffe's books and
the teachings of the Czech priest and reformer, Jan Hus).

In the 1920s, a Japanese meteorologist, Wasaburo Ooishi was the first to quantify jet
streams after conducting research using weather balloons. As important as his research
was (and turned out to be), he published his findings in Esperanto because of his
belief in the power or virtue of Esperanto. All of this was done even though he already
had connections with the International Meteorological Organization and had travalled to
the USA and Germany. With hindsight, he probably would have done science a bigger
favour by casting a wider net by publishing in a language with greater currency).
Unfortunately for him, his research as published in Esperanto was rendered effectively
inaccessible because of the relatively poor currency of Esperanto, and so knowledge
about the jet stream came about in fits and spurts afterwards from outside Japan and
rather by accident. Indeed, the American test pilot, Wiley Post noted differences
between his ground speed and airspeed while on high-altitude test flights and is widely
credited for discovering (experiencing) the jet stream in 1934. German scientists in
the second half of the 1930s wondered about the jet stream while pilots in WWII flying
in bombing raids or transatlantic flights at high-altitude experienced the jet stream.
It wasn't until 1947 when Erik Palmén of Finland while working at the Chicago School of
Meteorology (part of the University of Chicago) contributed his findings on the jet
stream to a groundbreaking paper (in English) of collective authorship did knowledge
about the jet stream grow beyond anecdotal evidence.

This anecdote should remind people that however repugnant it seems to "homogenize"
scientific publications by publishing in common or widely-used language (be it Latin in
the past, English now, and who knows what in the future), the cost of limiting its
spread by avoiding a common or widely-used publication language (or implicitly raising
costs by hiring translators) shouldn't be overlooked.

For your interest, TID=17883&PN=33&TPN=1">here is the thread.

I absolutely wholeheartedly agree that many ppl, perhaps even the majority of ppl are
not at all bothered by the spread of English. But I completely disagree on its
benefits. Your benefits, including to science, of languistic hemogenesis are far
outweighed by the negative effects of linguistic hemogenesis, including in the area of
science. Regardless whether the majority of people like it or not. The majority of
people like driving cars but they are not good for the environment. I think your
argument is too thin.

Language is representative of culture. When culture dies or the number of languages in
the world decreases the world becomes more homogenous culturally. As this occurs along
with loss of knowledge becomes loss of perspective, loss of diversity. If a larger
audience is reached through science, music, publication, entertainment and so on- is
this better than than having more cultural and linguistic diversity? You may argue that
you're not specifically stating or agree that the spread of larger languages (namely
English) necessarily equates to the loss of smaller languages/cultures, but it does.

To support my arguments
The following quotes are from:

Title: In Defense of Difference
Author: Maywa Montenegro & Terry Glavin
From Seedmagazine.com May 30 2014 & Oct 2008 edition of Seed magazine

"....an entire human language [extinct] every two weeks. The fallout isn’t merely an
assault to our aesthetic or even ethical values: As cultures and languages vanish,
along with them go vast and ancient storehouses of accumulated knowledge
"

To interupt the article, my arguments behind the negative value of the particularly
strong spread of English are often are based on capitalism, profits, and reaching a
wider audience. You say this is a good thing. I say it isn't when it gets to a certain
point... (from same paper):

"as globalized trade expands across horizons, it both uproots local cultures and kills
off vulnerable species of animals and plants. If it’s not the literal extinction of a
language when its last speaker dies or the spread of a devastating invasive fungus,
it’s the trafficking of such exotic commodities as elephant tusks, which only get more
precious as the animals’ numbers dwindle. A world increasingly calibrated on
consumption, efficiency, and convenience is perhaps most apparent in modern industrial
agriculture, which churns out mass quantities of food but also demands ever greater
uniformity and standardization"

Continuing the article:

"The tether between linguistic, cultural, and biological extinction is, however, far
more complex than its common, top-down driver of globalization. Once set in motion, the
extinctions themselves also become drivers, creating a dense network of positive
feedback loops. That we are beginning to understand the intricacies of these
relationships is due in no small measure to the work of Italian-born anthropologist and
linguist Luisa Maffi. Thirty years ago, fresh out of the University of Rome, Maffi was
doing fieldwork in Somalia when she first began to surmise a connection between
language and ecology. She moved to the University of California at Berkeley and began
working toward a PhD in anthropology doing research on ethnomedicine in Chiapas,
Mexico. It was in Chiapas that Maffi had a kind of epiphany.

The way Maffi tells the story, she was interviewing Tzeltal Mayan people waiting in
line at a medical clinic in the village of Tenejapa when she met a man who had walked
for hours, carrying his two-year-old daughter, who was suffering from diarrhea. It
turned out that the man had only a dim memory of the “grasshopper leg herb” that was
once well known as a perfectly effective diarrhea remedy in the Tzeltal ethnomedical
pharmacopeia. Because he’d nearly forgotten the words for the herb, he’d lost almost
any trace of the herb’s utility, or even of its existence.

This is when the full impact of current global trends dawned on her, Maffi recalls.
It’s not just species or languages that are vanishing from the world. The world is
losing knowledge, too, of the most useful and precious kinds.
If the world was
losing local knowledge, what else was slipping away?

...when United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) released its Global Outlook 4 report,
reiterating the scientific consensus that, ultimately, humans are to blame for current
global extinctions, UNEP for the first time made an explicit connection between the
ongoing collapse of biological diversity and the rapid, global-scale withering of
cultural and linguistic diversity: “Global social and economic change is driving the
loss of biodiversity and disrupting local ways of life by promoting cultural
assimilation and homogenization,” the report noted. “Cultural change, such as loss of
cultural and spiritual values, languages, and traditional knowledge and practices, is a
driver that can cause increasing pressures on biodiversity…In turn, these pressures
impact human well-being.”

In Defense of
Difference

The article continues. Is this enough defense from the perspective of the scientific
value of cultural and linguistic diversity?

Uniformity, standardization and reaching a larger homogenized audience in my opinion is
not a good thing. I vote for diversity. I'm not an English language hater, I just
believe there is more value in diversity, particularly scientific evidence that I feel
outweighs your argument on the scientific value of homogeny.

Chung your link on Professor Arguelles six most important languages can you point out
the relevance?

As for your link on published science and language thread, I think you've misunderstood
me. I never stated that Science was only published in English, but that it is
increasingly so.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3896 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 100 of 176
31 May 2014 at 9:23am | IP Logged 
Quote:
If a larger audience is reached through science, .... and so on- is
this better than than having more cultural and linguistic diversity?

Yes.

Note that it's not just a question of an audience being reached, it's a question of
people all over the world generating scientific and technological knowledge.
Research is not done in a vacuum. People build on existing knowledge. To build on
existing knowledge, one must understand existing knowledge.

Maintaining several languages in science is actually an impediment to generation of
future knowledge.
1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5290 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 101 of 176
31 May 2014 at 10:18am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Quote:
If a larger audience is reached through science, .... and so on- is
this better than than having more cultural and linguistic diversity?

Yes.

Note that it's not just a question of an audience being reached, it's a question of
people all over the world generating scientific and technological knowledge.
Research is not done in a vacuum. People build on existing knowledge. To build on
existing knowledge, one must understand existing knowledge.

Maintaining several languages in science is actually an impediment to generation of
future knowledge.

Science and research did fine up to the 1980s before English learning became omnipresent. English already
had a wide audience prior to the large push of English in recent times. Why more? Why presume you know
what's best for others? American Indians, Australian aboriginals, Inca's were all doing fine before being
forced to become a part of a larger invasive culture. They'd be fine today too had they never met white men
and the perceived benefits white man brought along.

Did you read my last post in it's entirety and actually still arrive at the conclusion that a less diverse world is
good for science? That seems really surprising to me that members of a language learning website prefer
less linguistic diversity. Not all cultures value scientific papers/research in my opinion to believe it's better for
science to have less linguistic diversity in the world is arrogant to consider other cultures are better off not
existing for the sake of reaching a wider audience.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4703 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 102 of 176
31 May 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
I don't think anyone here is arguing against diversity, or the need to protect and
nurture indigenous cultures and languages. It's more that there is a lot of value also
in having a lingua franca.

For me, I would say this is more important in science than in any other area. Art,
literature, philosophy, literature, history ... the world is far richer when we have
contributions from other cultures.   But modern science is an international effort. No
one culture can go it alone; I think it's one of the few cases where we need a lingua
franca.   At the end of the day pure science (as in, the quest for knowledge using the
scientific methods of observation) is independent of language.

And that's assuming that "science" English is even an English that most of us can
understand : ) How many of the polyglots here can truly understand the recent articles
on data teleportation using the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) correlation (a.k.a.
quantum entanglement)? And yet I'd bet a Chinese scientist would be able to, even if
his/her English is limited outside of physics.

I read the UN article a couple times, and it seems to say that it's globalization and
economic forces that are putting local cultures and knowledge at risk. This is
different than saying English (or any other former language of empire) is the cause.
Even in Maffi's story, she's talking about a Mayan in Chiapas - where the Mayan
language is still dominant in the villages.

My experiences in Micronesia were that, at least in the Pacific islands, people were
forgetting the old traditions from economic modernization, moving off the remote
islands and into the district centers, and certain western religions (presented in the
native tongue, of course. Missionaries are awfully good linguists). No one spoke
English where I was based, but these same trends were occurring.

(Side note: a common saying there you might like was "The Spanish came for God, the
Germans came for gold, the Japanese came for glory, and the Americans came for good."
With the obvious pun on 'good' - we came because we thought we were doing good, and we
came 'for good' and now they can't get rid of us).

Edited by kanewai on 31 May 2014 at 11:51am

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5290 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 103 of 176
31 May 2014 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
@ Gemuse

I feel like I owe you an apology. My apologies Gemuse. I think I got a little too
heated and tied my arguments too much with emotion perhaps (emotional blackmail).

also @ Kanewai

Perhaps you are both right, maybe science does need a lingua franca. Earlier on I
suggested a lingua franca for each continent roughly, but I guess you guys are arguing
more on the side of English only. I will acknowledge you 'could' be right, or it's
simply a difference of opinion with benefits on both sides. All in all I feel strongly
that my arguments with the information presented for me personally are more convincing.

Thing is I took the article for speaking more in terms of globalization is causing
death of cultures as well as languages, but what language is synonomous English? I
can't be bothered looking at the article right now but i'm sure it's basically stated
that globalization is killing of languages- which language is globalizing- English.
Anyway I'm kind of thinking this argument is coming to an end. We have all provided
some very interesting food for thought and strong points. I think it's time for me to
bow out as I've provided enough sources for reflection and get back to learning instead
of procrastinating (wouldn't you know it!)

Thanks all for participating and apologies if I have offended anyone, it's been fun :)

PM

edit: Feel free to keep up the discussion. At the request of someone I shall still be involved, but I will devote
less time to this so I actually study as well.

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 31 May 2014 at 1:04pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3846 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 104 of 176
31 May 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I hate how English is dominant, it takes the language of the British and it becomes pop music and such and such.
I would love that my native language be left alone, to add, the dominance of English hasn't done linguistics many
favors. There are too many half-wits right now.

Edited by Stolan on 31 May 2014 at 4:32pm

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version