Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 21 22 Next >>
PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5289 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 113 of 176
01 June 2014 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
In my opinion I feel a possible English language future could go like this (more based
on Europe than anywhere else):

1)More and more European companies will use English as their working language (this has
started already).

2) More and more universities offer courses in English to attract international
students in an ever more global world (already happening- recent debates in France over
this very thing)

3) In a strive to remain more competitive schools in some European countries begin to
teach more and more via the medium of English (as opposed to actually having English
classes per sé altho they will prob still exist). This has already been suggested in
Germany.

4) Eventually almost all busines, science, commerce, education is done in English due
the the globalized competitive nature of capitalism demanding the same common market
approach to doing business.

5) More and more music, books, newspapers, websites, etc are dominated by English due
to people wanting to learn, wanting to reach the global audience, and simply because
many avenues of life now cater to English (business, science etc).

6) Students and children begin speaking more and more English with each other at home,
outside their work place and school, as do work collegues in European countries.

7) More countries consider adopting English as an additional official language after
the teaching of it spreads- French Africa may become Anglicised depending on the
affordability to swap over and the possible gains, benefits include now doing business
with a ridiculous number of chinese businessmen who now speak English. Some countries
have shown evidence of this change already. Egypt, Lebanon, Rwanda for ex (not
necessarily francophone countries but have dropped the importance of French in place of
English because they want to be competitive and children like it because of music and
Hollywood). Rwanda actually changed their official language, and this was not
necessarily a business decision but to snub France- however that's a whole different
story in its own right.

7) People across Europe feel ever more comfortable using English everyday and their own
national languages languish as they are no longer used in business, IT, marketing,
eductation and so on. They may not die out quickly if at all, but they will certainly
languish if not very thoroughly protected along the lines of Québec. ie Being more lax
and allowing anglicisms into the language will eventually simply result in hybrid
versions of national languages as ppl use English in most walks of life then use some
of their language in other areas which is borrowing English words rapidly. People will
see it as rediculous to try to stem the tide of English loan words entering their
language.

8) A global official English language is introduced and standardized.

9) We run out of oil- voilà welcome back to a language renaissance period ;)

Okay okay throw your spears at me, throw your petrol bombs, hate on me. I gots no lover
for player haters, word, for realz, know what i'm sayin? Peace out
3 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5204 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 114 of 176
01 June 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I think those that really lose out by English being the lingua franca in research, business, entertainment, etc, are monolingual English speakers. I really don't think that national languages are threatened by a growing presence of English - Scandinavian countries maintain their languages and culture despite having high levels of English and ample access to English-language media (though a Scandinavian can correct me if it does indeed pose a threat).

But as nonnative English speakers are accustomed to exposure to foreign media and research, they're more open to all foreign media and research in general. Obviously American and British culture and music dominates in the international scene but from time to time you'll see TV series, movies, music, etc get picked up from other countries as well. The general American (and I'm assuming British) population doesn't get regular exposure to foreign media. Foreign films aren't included on every cinema marquee - they're relegated to indie and art house cinemas. Many Anglophones will say they can't stand to watch something dubbed/with subtitles because it's too much work. Only very rarely does a musical artist not singing in English break through the market. And I can only imagine that Anglophone academic researchers are less likely to go outside the box and seek out research that isn't published/translated into English or in Anglophone publications. All this means that the ones who end up really losing out are the Anglophones - they don't have a second culture to complement their global culture and they're raised to be less open to contributions from people around the world.

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4334 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 115 of 176
01 June 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Being more lax and allowing anglicisms into the language will
eventually simply result in hybrid versions of national languages as ppl use English in
most walks of life then use some of their language in other areas which is
borrowing English words rapidly. People will see it as rediculous to try to stem the
tide of English loan words entering their language.

This is not necessarily a problem. Look at the Scandinavian languages. A large part of
their vocabulary is practically German (either Low or High German), yet they still have
a distinct character. Yes, they are quite different to Icelandic now, but that doesn't
make them any less Scandinavian. And standardized languages aren't that prone to
drastic changes as history has taught us. I don't think we'll give up our native
languages anytime soon. Vocabulary enrichment/influence - yes. But not much more.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 116 of 176
01 June 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, UNESCO considers even Maltese safe because despite the omnipresence of English and Italian, people realize that there's no need to give up on their native language in order to speak them better.
2 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5188 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 117 of 176
01 June 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Peter, I like your reference to peace. If the progression you outline is done peacefully without anyone being forced by anyone else to learn/use English against their will what is the problem? Everyone making the decision for themselves if they want to learn/use English... what is wrong with that? Maybe I am wrong, but I am not aware of anyone who is forced to learn English.

It seems to me the potential problems would be on the other end where some people feel their culture and language is "threatened" because so many people who speak their language have decided that their lives will be better by learning/using English. If people are punished for learning English or not using a specific language... that is a problem.

Individual people decide what language to speak/learn. They all do it for different reasons. If an overwhelming amount of people decide on their own that they want to know/learn English in order to improve their lives, who are you to say they are wrong and you are right?   
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6410 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 118 of 176
01 June 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
You've already been given the most obvious example, schools and university. Tons of people that are not making their own choice, let alone an informed one.

That's roughly the same kind/degree of free choice as with a certain recent annexation...
4 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5188 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 119 of 176
02 June 2014 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
Maybe I live under a rock, but it seems obvious to me that the reason English is so overwhelmingly dominant is that people WANT to learn/use it (although, it certainly is possible that there are a few exceptions).   

I have never heard of a mandatory university. Nor have I heard of a country that punishes parents if their children are not proficient in English. It certainly is possible that there are some places that do that, but I have just never heard of that and don't believe it exists. And, even if there are some places like that, I am sure that is not the reason English is so dominant in the world.

1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4334 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 120 of 176
02 June 2014 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:

Individual people decide what language to speak/learn. They all do it for different
reasons. If an overwhelming amount of people decide on their own that they want to
know/learn English in order to improve their lives, who are you to say they are wrong
and you are right?   

Here you need to learn English in order to graduate from school. If you refuse, you
can't move up the grades in any subject. You would theoretically stay in first grade
(and redo all the subjects several times) until you leave school with 15 and then
wouldn't find any job. Is this not punishing? You are refused access to the education
system if you refuse to learn English, no matter whether English is needed for your
future job or not. One is free not to learn it of course. One is also free to kill
oneself (but if you survive, you get punished for trying ;) ).

Edited by daegga on 02 June 2014 at 2:15am

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version