Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 57 of 217
20 March 2015 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Spanish:
+watched an episode of Isabel
+finally finished El palacio de la medianoche.
It is not a bad book, not at all, I can recommend it with clean conscience. However,
the subjects and caracters resonated somehow badly with me, so I kept struggling to
get through the damn last fifty pages for more than a week! I hope the third part of
the trilogy will be more like the first one than the middle one. Now I am reading
another Pratchett and I'm already in one third :-)
-no "hard work" done, however my Assimil El Alemán brought a few nice pieces of
Spanish. At leaast one word I have previously found in a book and a different view on
the grammar.

the SC bot says I've read 18 "books" and watched 33 "movies" so far. Not bad but not
stellar either.

German:
+Assimil. I am getting back to doing at least a bit every day. Yay! (I know this
sounds stupid but I am happy about it :-) )

passive wave: I've just finished lesson 56, or rather the other half of it. I needed
two days as this review chapter was quite huge:

yesterday, I kind of learnt to decline adjectives, depending on whether or not they
are accompanied by articles determining the gendre and so on (I was so lost and
confused I was getting scared the declinations might as well depend on the season or
moon phase... really not a pleasant bit of grammar) but I believe it's one of the
things I'll get used to with more practice and lots of input.

today's dose: the future tense is quite simple, I've seen it before. Translating the
Spanish "para" was an informative piece on both languages, even though not too much
(fortunately). I am struggling a bit with sentences like this Assimil example:
Wir brauchen das Auto, um nach Hause zu fahren.
It is not that hard, it basically corresponds to Czech sentences with "aby". But I
need more exemples in situ and practice.

The rest of posesive articles:nothing new, even though I still need lots of practice
to stop making declination mistakes.

Los verbos de posición y los verbos de acción correspondientes
an awesome piece of information!
basically an overview of stehen (gestanden), sitzen (gesessen), liegen (gelegen),
hängen (gehangen).(my favourite example: Das Buch liegt auf dem Tisch, aber es steht
in der Bibliothek. I love this Assimil :-D )
and their action counterparts stellen (gestellt), setzen (gesetzt), legen (gelegt),
hängen (gehängt)

I loved this part since I've just realized how much I had missed it.

The review dialogue made me a bit less worried as the lessons of "the previous week"
were quite heavy in weird vocabulary and proverbs. This dialogue was sane again :-)

active wave: I got through Elfte Lektion and decided to take it slower already, one
per day. (so, if I keep going, I should be finished in three months)

I have improved my active wave routine. I am repeatedly writing (while saying out
loud) all the words or sentences in which I made a mistake. It seems to be working at
least partially as I avoid making the same mistake in the next exercise usually.
However, time will tell whether it is really that useful (I think it might be a
similar method to prof Arguelles'es "scriptorium", at least it is inspired by it). At
least, it cannot hurt.

French:
+0,5 movie= 3 episodes of Héro Corp (season 5, episodes 4-6). I've just made more
space on my hard drive by admiting I am not likely to ever learn a few of the
languages on the bottom of my hitlist and I deleted 4GB of hoarded material and now I
can download more Héro Corp again! By the way, why can't they simply make an rtve-like
site or a site where I could simply pay per view from abroad?

I spoke with myself a bit, just to make sure Spanish isn't usurpating the space French
needs to occupy in my brain. Yes, I can still speak after a few weeks without
practice. It sounded worse (and my comprehension was worse) when I had a call with my
former tutor recently, as I hate the phone calls. The networks in the Czech Republic
are overcrowded these days and the sound quality leaves to be desired.

Sticking to the plan, I'll write another post when I have something to write about,
hopefully soon. I am quite surprised an assimil review lesson left so many impressions
:-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3933 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 58 of 217
21 March 2015 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
You've been busy! I hope we both find something better to read this time around.

I'm interested to read all of your thoughts on Assimil. I have yet to try Assimil. If I ever start learning another
language, I'm definitely going to look at it!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 59 of 217
22 March 2015 at 4:31am | IP Logged 
Well, trying to keep on track even though my laziness is a strong enemy. As I read (no idea where or what
the exact wording was): if there was a competition in laziness, I'd send someone for my gold medal :-D

So, I did nearly no studying for my university subjects during the last two days, that changes tommorrow.
Languages:

Spanish:
Five doublepages of the vocabulario book. It is quite good (except for the "fun" exercises that just waste
space in the book) even though very easy. But i still learn two or three words per page (as word like carrots
dont often come up in my input) so it is worth the time. And it's practice.

Four doublepages of the gramatica de uso. I love it. These lessons were easy but i still learnt a tiny bit in
each. The book is much better than the gramatica by anaya. The anaya one is good but the authors may
have dumbed the easiest level a little bit too down. Which is probably true both about the gramatica and the
vocabulario by the publisher. The lessons are not that dense and some of the exercises are not that perfect.
This one, de uso, has tons of awesome execises and good explanations. And much more content. It costs
more but the value/price ratio is better, in my opinion.

And I am still reading my Pratchett book and I am totally happy with it. And I watched one episode of Isabel
yesterday. I love it. But it takes a lot of time at once as I don't like stopping in the middle and,upon rturn,
searching for a looong while where exactly have I stopped. I need a series with shorter episodes as well,
when I am busier. I could try Caso Cerrado Stelle wrote about or The Simpson as I got a nice link recently.
But those might be too hard, I don't know.

German:
Two passive and two active lessons total. It looks like I had done a lot more before writing the previous post
than now. Well, there had beenjust many more and stronger impressions to mention. This time:
Passive lessons 57 and 58 were of reasonable difficulty and quite fun
Active 12 and 13: 12 was a record lesson. It holds the record in the largest amount of mistakes I made on
such a small space. Ever. What was wrong: quite everyting! I hate the subject of phone calls in general. I am
bad at those things in most languages, some would say even in Czech. 13 was standard again, a few
mistakes and a few words forgotten, no drama. My new approach to the active wave seems to be really good.
I only wish I had the money to buy the CDs (or I wish to find the audio to this assimil version somewhere but
I've given up trying)

Thanks a lot for your encouragement, Stelle! It always works miraculously.
I'll probably write a review about Assimil in three months or so. If you happen to be curious and considering
Assimil before that: it is great but I think it is more than useful to learn from a grammar book alongside it as
well (or a traditional course but the grammar book seems to be a better option). And get the damn audio. :-)

Edited by Cavesa on 22 March 2015 at 4:32am

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4079 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 60 of 217
22 March 2015 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
I personally think that Assimil is great, but the price is the problem sometimes,
especially for the audio. Often the book itself is around something like 25€, standard
deviation maybe of 3€, especially if you buy it from an online bookshop instead of the
Assimil bookshop, but the audio is often close to double the price of the book. I
believe that the full package is usually set around.

For example, I was looking at Russian:

Le Russe sans peine

The book alone is 24,90€. But click on book + CD audio it goes to 65,90€. I have
bought quite a lot of these packs for my languages, but as a student this is still a
bit hefty. Still I find it worth it though.

However, for some reason, the euro plummeted like hell these past weeks something like
0,20€, so one of the few advantages hereof is that it costs less if you use a
different currency...

Edited by 1e4e6 on 22 March 2015 at 6:20am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 61 of 217
22 March 2015 at 6:23am | IP Logged 
Yes, the whole package price varies by language, base language and seller. Anything between 65 and 85
ueros is possible :-( the book is quite affordable, the value/price ratio is really good, the audio is the pain. But
it is just so much better with the audio, thankfully the audio for many assimils is on the internet.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5265 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 62 of 217
22 March 2015 at 8:23am | IP Logged 
I had not heard of Assimil until I started to take notice of this forum. Thinking I
knew best when it came to courses I paid it little attention for quite a while. Then
having read so many good reports on it I opted to try it out. I love French Assimil of
what I've used so far (3/4 way through Assimil New French with Ease).

Great to hear you're applying yourself Cavesa to some German Assimil everyday. Keep up
the good work, you seem to be finding your groove again. Now I need to follow suit. I
must look back through your log at some time to nut out how you made it to French C2
in the end. We all have our own methods but it doesn't hurt to see what others have
used for their success and perhaps apply a little of it to our own situation.

Keep up the German!

bis später

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 63 of 217
23 March 2015 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
Are you revising the previous day's akktiv lesson before moving on to the next?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4698 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 64 of 217
23 March 2015 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Hey Cavesa, I wanted to give you a belated congratulations on your C2. I posted a congrats just before loads of posts disappeared, so you probably missed it. So here you go: well done!

This discussion contains 217 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version