Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

The dark side of language dominance

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
176 messages over 22 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 21 22 Next >>
Saim
Pentaglot
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

124 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Serbo-Croatian, English*, Catalan, Spanish, Polish
Studies: Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Occitan, Punjabi, Urdu, Arabic (Maghribi), French, Modern Hebrew, Ukrainian, Slovenian

Message 17 of 176
29 May 2014 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
AlexTG wrote:
Eh, call me selfish, but as long as a few dozen languages continue to
exist so I never run out of new
languages to learn I'm happy. And the smaller the number of languages in existence the
greater percentage
of the world's new literature I'll be able to read.

Thankfully, the existence of language diversity is not your decision.

Quote:
I'm thankful Senghor and Cesaire wrote their poems in French
rather than their tribal languages.

Neither the Serer nor Martinicans are "tribes".
4 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5412 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 18 of 176
29 May 2014 at 2:54pm | IP Logged 
I guess at the end of the day i'm a little pissed off that English is as strong as it
is due to my love of western European languages other than English. Warning that what
follows is completely biast....

English might not be everywhere and other languages have made significant in-roads as
beano mentioned. All in all it would be nice to see more linguistic diversity/balance
in the world. Look even if the European colonists were the same European colonial
powers but in different proportions of conqueuring success that what is today's world-
ie if Britain had not been so dominant in the later stages of colonisation at least
we'd see a more balanced world today in which more of North America spoke French,
languages such as Dutch, Swedish and German didn't largely disappear from the east
coast of the U.S., the French actually made it (and settled instead of the British)
places like Tasmania and New Zealand's South Island, if the Dutch left more of a
linguistic mark in south America, Indonesia, French in Indochina, Italians in Somalia,
Portuguese in India and Ceylon, Dutch in South Africa, Germans in parts of Africa and
South Australia. Problem is it's all fraught again with favoritism because of my
interest completely discounting the local people and possibly offending people, but
perhaps it's no more crazy than what we have today as the remnants of colonial pasts...
perhaps a world without any colonialism would be nice? Then again regardless of the
colonial powers that wreaked havoc on the world during those times it would be nicer if
they carved up the new world in a more linguistically balanced manner. Any one got a
time machine? What the hell was wrong with the Dutch? They landed on the west coast of
Australia for cyring out loud! Why couldn't the French manage to arrive in the pacific
a little earlier or at least more prepared. It's a shame one language today dominates
so much!

There was a decisive battle off the North American coast somewhere following The French
defeating Britain at sea some years prior. The French expected again to walk all over
the British, but they had lined the hulls of their ships with copper or sth similar. It
gave the British a secret and decisive advantage, resulting in a heavy unexpected
French loss that blew to pieces their chances of carving up North America. Another
example at some point apparently (taken from the book 'The story of French') the French
were offered ALL of Canada or simply Haiti in the Carrabean as a compromise in losing
some battle with the English... They chose Haiti because of it's extremely prosperous
sugar plantations. Time machine anyone?
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5256 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 19 of 176
29 May 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
@PeterMollenburg: Don't feel too bad about the dominance of English. IMHO, one of the reasons why English has become so hugely popular is its relatively simple morphology (hardly any inflections, many frequently used monosyllabic words etc.). Also since English is basically a hybrid language, its written form is relatively easy to learn for speakers of both Romance and Germanic languages.

IMHO, if smaller languages die out, its mostly the fault of the minority speakers themselves. Take for example Turkey, which strictly prohibited and actively suppressed the use of Kurdish and only recognized it as a semi-official language a couple of years ago. Yet Kurdish has survived.

beano wrote:
I'm off to Germany next month and once I leave the airport, I probably won't hear much English spoken there. [...] I just don't get the impression that English plays a major role in the lives of most citizens.

It does play a role in the lives of younger Germans who often throw in some English words and phrases. There are also many pseudo-English words in German. English is also hugely popular in German advertising campaigns, especially for high-tech products. (Have a closer look at some billboards, and you'll find many English (or Denglish) words.)

beano wrote:
In Europe, more books are published in German than in any other language.

Yet relatively few native English speakers seem to be interested in learning German. I.e., statistics aren't everything.

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5412 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 20 of 176
29 May 2014 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
I might just add some more fuel to the fire...

Ogrim wrote:
Today I am in the mood for a rant:

OK, the Eurovision song contest has never been known for its musical quality, but at
least it used to have a value for us language lovers as it was an opportunity to listen
to songs in a variety of languages. I remember back in the old days, before internet
and Youtube, when participants had to sing in an official language of their country - I
really enjoyed those opportunities to listening to Polish, Russian, Maltese and Hebrew.

However, the language requirement is not there any longer, and the overall influence
of English in pop music is such that out of the 26 countries that will take part in the
final tomorrow, only three sing in their own language, namely France (you would expect
that), Italy and Montenegro, three others mix English and their native language,
Poland, Slovenia and Spain, and the 20 others, just English.

So regardless of their musical quality or lack thereof, I hope France, Italy and
Montenegro will be the top three (in any order), and I'll forget about the rest. (OK,
maybe I'll make an exception for the UK, although it would be great if some year they
could send someone singing in Welsh.)

Sad...

And why? So they can reach a larger audience? So they can win?

Sometimes I wonder about the motivations of the EU. I wouldn't be surprised if those
behind the scenes pulling the strings of European leaders, lining their pockets and
directing their every move have global intentions in mind. Let's face it an English
dominated Europe would suck! I really do think that Québec is doing it right. English
is very omnipresent in North America and fighting to protect one's language makes
sense. The Dutch impose language expectations on immigrants to the Netherlands (as
other EU countries also do). The EU has often hinted that such measures are in
contradiction to the EU's freedom of movement policies. Why is the EU trying to erode
it's own cultures? Because perhaps the EU prefers an English-unified continent under
the guise of 'free movement'. Let's face it abolishing nationalistic
cultural/linguistic protective laws in the EU would see a gradual but certain increase
in English language immigrants in various EU countries- and a great number of those
wouldn't even be native English speakers necessarily.

Some pertinent links (old but still relevant):

the-european-debate/">How the dominance of English kills the European debate

domination.html">The side effects of English dominance
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4558 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 21 of 176
29 May 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:

beano wrote:

Yet relatively few native English speakers seem to be interested in learning German. I.e., statistics aren't everything.

But it does show that the market for German publishing is a highly-lucrative one. Vast amounts of literature is also published in Spanish but a typical German would have little interest in learning that language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5412 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 22 of 176
29 May 2014 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
@Doitsujin

Thanks for following along and providing some comments worth pondering :)

With regards to English having symphology I want to borrow this quote from the link
provided (which is well worth a decent glance/read)

"The success or failure of a language has little to do with its inherent qualities and
everything to do with the power of the people that speak it"
- The Economist, “World Empire;” see also David Graddol, quoted in Skapinker.

To be fair the article does provide a lot of arguments for and against the dominance of
English while analyzing possible positive and negative effects

article=1447&context=macintl">The rise of English: The language of Globalization in
China and the European Union

If link doesn't work search: "The rise of English: The language of Globalization in
China and the European Union"
by Anne Johnson

Edited by PeterMollenburg on 29 May 2014 at 3:42pm

PeterMollenburg
Joined 5412 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 

Message 23 of 176
29 May 2014 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:

beano wrote:

Yet relatively few native English speakers seem to be interested in learning German.
I.e., statistics aren't everything.

But it does show that the market for German publishing is a highly-lucrative one. Vast
amounts of literature is also published in Spanish but a typical German would have
little interest in learning that language.

This is a point but I'm not stating that English dominates to the point it over-rides
national languages (in some cases like India it might- I know it does in terms of
wikipedia editing from India occuring predominantly in English, not Hindi)...

What i'm getting at here is that English is invasive to more of a degree on the
international scene than other languages on a global scale. Ppl watch American films
all over the world. Yes French cinema is very strong as is Indian and probably
lucrative, but they all watch American films. German books, French books and Asian
cinema probably do well too, but nothing comes close to music is English dominating the
world scene- Euro-vision for example- a microcosm of the world? English literature is
growing ever more. China is readily and enthusiastically taking up the 'American way'.
I grew up rapping to 2pac Shakur, Heavy D and Notorious B.I.G. - in Australia! it's
dominated by English here. It's ironic that we have one of the (or the) highest rates
of language attrition in the world, yet the Australian government does next to nothing
to save aboriginal languages (admittedly a difficult task, but still..). We apparantly
have an amazing number of indigenous languages in Australia but i'd be lucky if I can
recall one instance where I heard any of them spoken and I've not been confined to just
one part of this country. Instead EVERYTHING is done in English here.

In short many languages are doing well but English IMO is dominating or at least very
present throughout the world and is only likely to increase, and that is no accident
3 persons have voted this message useful

Gollum87
Diglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 3873 days ago

31 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: Serbian*, English
Studies: Italian

Message 24 of 176
29 May 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I don't have a problem with English dominance... People around the world should understand eachother..
What i don't like is the strong influence of English on other languages..
Recently, many English words have been used in Serbian slang (I guess it happens with other languages too)... I hope, in 100 years we won't speak a mix of English and our own language.. but I think it is normal for a strong and dominante language (and culture) to have an influence on smaller ones...

This discussion contains 176 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version