420 messages over 53 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33 ... 52 53 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 257 of 420
26 March 2012 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
"pientä rahasummaa" is singular :)

1 person has voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5913 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 258 of 420
03 December 2012 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Just back from my second attempt at the JLPT N2.   Kind of exhausted but still a little too much adrenaline in my body. I think with the reading I'm pretty sure I'll score better than last year, though I blew the listening comprehension section again.     Last time I was 17/60 on listening which given that some of the questions are 1/3 multiple choice, and others are 1/4, I think was about a little better than random chance result.   I'm not sure if I'm going to be any better this time or not. We'll see.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5913 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 259 of 420
03 December 2012 at 5:27am | IP Logged 
Anyway, I have been busy, basically I just got this game on the app store.  English only.

http://www.junglevision.com/area52.html

I have been taking Japanese classes consistently through the year at the Sokogakuen. I'm in the JLPT N2 prep class, I've been through this now 4 times. I think this December and the coming year I can try to get back to working on Finnish some more, now that the JLPT is passed.

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5913 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 260 of 420
27 December 2012 at 6:38am | IP Logged 
Well, I'm back into the Flash cards again. This is sort of my 'first love' with language learning, and for all the attempts at reading and TV watching, I've always felt like I've really gotten the most in my brain from using Anki. I'm just using a couple decks built into Anki, the N1 Vocab deck, and most of these words are new. Maybe I know about 20% of them. And the "ymmärrä suomea", and maybe about 40% I know Finnish to English, but English to Finnish it's just hopeless and I'm repeating the cards until I get the spelling right -- that's taking a lot of reps. I turn off the 'suspend on leech' function.   

Edited by cathrynm on 27 December 2012 at 10:25am

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5913 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 261 of 420
28 December 2012 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
http://people.uta.fi/~km56049/finnish/transin.html

Stewing about transitive/intransitive verbs in Finnish.

I found this list of transitive/intransitive verb pairs in Finnish.   Interesting, I think the Finnish transitive/intransitive verb grammar is pretty close to how it is in Japanese.   

olen rakastan -- I love -- Transitive
Rakastuin sinuun. -- I fell in love with you. -- Intransitive
Minua rakastetaan. -- I am loved --   Transitive Passive
rakastutaan -- falling in love? -- Intransitive Passive

Actually, maybe this isn't a good example, because I don't think there's an intransitive 'to love' in Japanese. Hmm.

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4347 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 262 of 420
28 December 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged 
Another reason why rakastaa/rakastua isn't a great example is that typically one would expect "to love"/"to be loved" instead of "to love"/"to fall in love".

You might find it useful to think of these verbs as derivatives of a noun with the approximate meanings of "to make into <NOUN>" and "to become <NOUN>". I'm not sure if that's the official truth you would hear from an expert linguist, but it's more of less how I understand these constructions. That is, if I stop to think about them, which I usually don't. Anyway, just thought you might find this interesting.

Edited by sans-serif on 28 December 2012 at 12:18pm

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4347 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 263 of 420
28 December 2012 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
cathrynm wrote:
riita=quarrel
ydin=nuclear
jäte=rubbish
säilyttäminen=preservation
turha=unnecessary

ydin = nucleus, giving us compounds like "nucleus-energy", ydinenergia
jäte = waste. I'd translate rubbish or trash as roska.
säilyttäminen = the preserving (of) / the storing (of). Preservation would be säilytys. Not sure if it makes much difference, but this seemed to be a recurring "mistake".

I feel like I'm nitpicking about minor details here, especially since your sentence for sentence translations were all correct. Feel free to tell me off if you already know this stuff.

Edited by sans-serif on 28 December 2012 at 1:02pm

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5913 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 

Message 264 of 420
29 December 2012 at 9:13am | IP Logged 
Ooh, thanks for stopping by, and no problem with whatever corrections you have. Really, honestly, I have zero ego with either Japanese or Finnish, and a lot of stuff I knew and then forgot and then relearned and then forgot again. What I 'actually know' at any time is constantly in flux, really.

I'm curious about your idea about the transitive/intransitive pair, 'to make into' and 'to become.' That seems pretty different compared to how this works in Japanese, really. I'll have to sort this out somehow. I think for reading I can often just guess the meaning based on the dictionary translation and context. But trying to write using words from a dictionary, picking the wrong one is a disaster.

Edited by cathrynm on 29 December 2012 at 9:46am

This discussion contains 420 messages over 53 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version