94 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 81 of 94
03 October 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Olja07 wrote:
Hebrew. It sounds so beautiful and romantic to me. In my opinion it
sounds much nicer than even French (which many people tend to rate as the nicest sounding
language) and I can even go as far as saying that it is my favourite language. I love the
sounds, the structure of the language... everything. I am absolutely, definitely,
positively, unquestionably, beyond any doubt, unconditionally in love with this language.

Finally! Someone! On this forum! Who loves Hebrew!
1 person has voted this message useful

Mutant
Groupie
United States
Joined 3708 days ago

45 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German

Message 82 of 94
04 October 2014 at 12:59pm | IP Logged 
For some reason, for the past year at least, I have been itching to learn Swahili and maybe one other African language. I have no idea why Africa has become so fascinating to me lately, but I find it very hard not to give in and start studying! I also have a burning desire to learn Hindi and other Indian languages. I have to keep reminding myself: one at a time...one at a time...

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6379 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 83 of 94
04 October 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
Mutant wrote:
For some reason, for the past year at least, I have been itching to learn Swahili and maybe one other African language. I have no idea why Africa has become so fascinating to me lately, but I find it very hard not to give in and start studying! I also have a burning desire to learn Hindi and other Indian languages. I have to keep reminding myself: one at a time...one at a time...

Man, I feel you. The problem for me with African languages is the relative scarcity of media. I want lots of books and movies, and I've had trouble finding an African language that satisfies this (though I readily admit to not looking to hard yet). That said, it seems as Africa is rising, the status of the non-colonial languages are also rising, and I might just tackle Xhosa some day, because, well, it sounds amazing. And yeah, Indian languages, too, though I'm more drawn to Tamil, since I'm a sucker for non Indoeuropean languages. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Mutant
Groupie
United States
Joined 3708 days ago

45 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German

Message 84 of 94
04 October 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
Mutant wrote:
For some reason, for the past year at least, I have been itching to learn
Swahili and maybe one other African language. I have no idea why Africa has become so fascinating to
me lately, but I find it very hard not to give in and start studying! I also have a burning desire to learn Hindi
and other Indian languages. I have to keep reminding myself: one at a time...one at a time...

Man, I feel you. The problem for me with African languages is the relative scarcity of media. I want lots of
books and movies, and I've had trouble finding an African language that satisfies this (though I readily
admit to not looking to hard yet). That said, it seems as Africa is rising, the status of the non-colonial
languages are also rising, and I might just tackle Xhosa some day, because, well, it sounds amazing. And
yeah, Indian languages, too, though I'm more drawn to Tamil, since I'm a sucker for non Indoeuropean
languages. :)

I also thought about Tamil, I'm really upset Assimil discontinued their course for that language. And I know
what you mean about wanting lots of media. Maybe I'll get around to Swahili once I'm already studying
and maintaining languages with plenty of media.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6953 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 85 of 94
04 October 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
Folks, let's keep to the topic. It won't end well if we keep talking about the transient baggage associated with certain languages.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 86 of 94
04 October 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Folks, let's keep to the topic. It won't end well if we keep talking about the transient baggage associated with certain languages.

Thank you. For those of you wondering what Chung is talking about, this thread veered off topic into a political discussion. For those of you who are new here, our administrator has asked to avoid politics

Quote:
RELIGION & POLITICS
No religion, no politics - house rules. Like a barman in a saloon, I ask you not to discuss politics and religion in this forum, but only languages.

I didn't want to lock this thread, and it was already too far gone for a warning, so I deleted a handful of political messages instead. The reason that politics are off-limits here at HTLAL is two-fold:

1. Politics are especially inflammatory on highly multinational forums, especially when members live in countries that are at war with each other.

2. Approximately 90% of the Internet comment pages are filled with angry political shouting. If you want to participate, you have plenty of places you can go. HTLAL is for language learning. And if we let politics in, it tends to spread like kudzu in the southern US.

So please, let's try to respect our administrator's wishes, and focus on language learning.
6 persons have voted this message useful

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6057 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 87 of 94
05 October 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Chung wrote:
Folks, let's keep to the topic. It won't end well if we keep
talking about the transient baggage associated with certain languages.

Thank you. For those of you wondering what Chung is talking about, this thread veered off
topic into a political discussion. For those of you who are new here, our administrator
has asked
to avoid politics

Quote:
RELIGION & POLITICS
No religion, no politics - house rules. Like a barman in a saloon, I ask you not to
discuss politics and religion in this forum, but only languages.

I didn't want to lock this thread, and it was already too far gone for a warning, so I
deleted a handful of political messages instead. The reason that politics are off-limits
here at HTLAL is two-fold:

1. Politics are especially inflammatory on highly multinational forums, especially when
members live in countries that are at war with each other.

2. Approximately 90% of the Internet comment pages are filled with angry political
shouting. If you want to participate, you have plenty of places you can go. HTLAL is for
language learning. And if we let politics in, it tends to
spread like kudzu in the
southern US

So please, let's try to respect our administrator's wishes, and focus on language
learning.

Hello Emk,
The discussion was respectful and there was no "angry political shouting" that you refer
to.

In that regard, I don't believe that there was a need to delete any posts.

It was simply a point to note that the political situation of a country in which the
language exists has a bearing on the language itself, especially from a perception point
of view.

I believe that this point is valid and relevant in the context of Hebrew and Afrikaans.

We were not debating politics, rather the effect that political decisions have on
languages.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5329 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 88 of 94
05 October 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
aodhanc wrote:
The discussion was respectful and there was no "angry political shouting" that you refer to.

On the language-learning forum, there's no need to observe that Israel is in "breach of international law and UN resolutions," especially not in a one-sentence post in a thread titled "A language you cannot resist?". This has very little to do with learning languages, and it will quickly kill an otherwise enjoyable thread.

As a general rule, the following political subjects will be given very little leeway by the moderators: Isreal/Palestine, Russia/Ukraine, Russian in the Baltic states, and US domestic politics. These all tend to blow up into 20 page threads that make the moderators want to gouge our eyes out.

If anybody wants to discuss this decision further, please feel free to PM me or another moderator. Not all of my moderation decisions will be unambiguously wise and correct, and I'm happy to listen to feedback. But this thread should be about languages people cannot resist.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version