Joined 4851 days ago

189 posts - 215 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, EnglishC1
Studies: French

Message 41 of 94
31 August 2011 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Ygangerg wrote:
I'm a fan of learning Romance languages, and I'm maybe somewhere around
a B1 in Arabic. So... Maltese has been calling me from its precious little isle for a
couple years now. Not sure if I'll get to it though.

I wonder, Xander, being Italian, do you know anything about learning Maltese? Do you
know anyone who's tried?

Sincerely no.
However a friend of mine has been to Malta this summer, so he has been in strict contract
with Maltese(which ought to have similarities with sicilian,italian and arabic) and maybe
he decided to try its learning, though he is not a language-learning lover.
1 person has voted this message useful

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5364 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 42 of 94
31 August 2011 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Phantom Kat wrote:
And yes, more people should be passionate about Finnish. It's a language like no other, in my opinion.

It's a language like Estonian, in my opinion. ;)

I'm just teasing. Finnish is indeed an incredibly beautiful language. I currently have no intentions of learning it, but it's a pleasure to just listen to it spoken.

birthdaysuit
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

48 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Swedish

Message 43 of 94
23 September 2011 at 1:16am | IP Logged 
I know this may sound unusual but the major reason why I became interested in Swedish
in the beginning was because I heard Alexander Skarsgard speak it! After that it was
all I ever wanted to hear. It is THE most musical language I've ever heard and I could
listen to it all day. Sadly I have yet to start learning it properly - though I'm
desperately to - as I need to spend a few more weeks improving my German comprehension
before moving on to it.

It still amazes me how something as trivial as a chance encounter with a foreign
stranger could influence a person's language choice. Or, take my younger sister for
example;though she has yet to dedicate her time to proper study she is obsessed with
Japanese only because of Lucy Liu's character in Kill Bill! And my fascination with
Russian developed most recently from watching a documentary about Russian prisons...

To each his own, I guess. I must admit, however, that just about every language
fascinates me, even my native English with all its little quirks and idioms found only
in certain parts of the country.

RatoDePorão
Pentaglot
Brazil
Joined 4648 days ago

15 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish, French, Italian
Studies: German

Message 44 of 94
23 September 2011 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
French, though it's phonetics are quite "poor" I can't resist this language hahahaha
nor German
nor Italian
nor English
nor Spanish

DNB
Bilingual Triglot
Groupie
Finland
Joined 4683 days ago

47 posts - 80 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, Estonian*, English

Message 45 of 94
23 September 2011 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Korean, because of its sonority in public speech and its endless verb conjugations that
add nuances to the language unheard in any other languages.

taydev2006
United States
Joined 4662 days ago

7 posts - 7 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese

Message 46 of 94
26 September 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I want to learn Romanian badly, but I am resisting it because I feel Spanish is more useful, so I am
studying that now. After I gain proficiency in Spanish, I want to learn French, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese,
and German. I am interested in these languages and find them more useful than Romanian, but I can't
resist flirting with Romanian. With all my languages prioritized I may never reach a decent beginners level in
Romanian.

Russian is another language I'm obsessed with; it's sound and the Cyril writing.

Edited by taydev2006 on 26 September 2011 at 7:41pm

Sierra
Diglot
Turkey
livinginlights.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6921 days ago

296 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: English*, SwedishB1
Studies: Turkish

Message 47 of 94
26 September 2011 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Turkish is my number one, in large part because of my love affair with Turkey itself. I
find so much about it so poetic- the millennia of history, the Byzantines, the Ottomans,
Süleyman, Atatürk, the mosques and mountains, the fierce pride they all have in their
nation. Of course, I love the language, too: its jigsaw puzzle construction, its cocky
slang, its dual persona (modern words next to their old Arabic counterparts), all the Çs
and Şs, the fun and unique -miş ending, implying uncertainty.

After Turkish, it would have to be Persian. A Thousand and One Nights pretty much says it
all:)
2 persons have voted this message useful

crafedog
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5615 days ago

166 posts - 337 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Korean, Tok Pisin, French

Message 48 of 94
27 September 2011 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Quite a numerous amount truth be told but if I truly had to choose.

- German. Not sure why. Maybe because it's the language of Wittgenstein and Nietzsche.
Maybe because it seems really cool.

- Arabic. Initially I figured I'd just have a look at it but never really study it
seriously. I played around with the sounds on an Assimil recording and I was surprised
how great it sounded/how the sounds were easier than I had expected. I think Arabic
(whatever dialect) is a language that I will grow to love (sadly I have many other
languages to take care of before that day comes).

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version