zerrubabbel
United States
Joined 4397 days ago

232 posts - 287 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Mandarin

Message 57 of 94
05 January 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Definitely japanese... I love it so much that if I can I dont even try to think my thoughts in English. I love how it
sounds, how it reads and how much sense it makes to me... but ironically, I think its causing be a bit of frustration,
but I think what im feeling is the same as a toddler just trying to understand so much... we all know how big a
language is, so its natural to have a bump or two along the way right? but anyway, Im not going to stop, I already
use the language every day listening, reading, and once in a while im able to have a conversation with my friends
back in japan

Ive started studying Spanish recently, but Im finding out I really dont have the same interest for Spanish, or
anywhere near the same :/ and I didnt really think I would when I started, but I thought Id take a shot anyway...

I have higher hopes for mandarin, maybe it will become a favorite, seeing as I think it will ^.^
1 person has voted this message useful

NC181818
Tetraglot
Hong Kong
Joined 4146 days ago

17 posts - 24 votes
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 58 of 94
05 January 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Japanese. I love Japanese culture and travelling to Japan, also the animes and music. I would love to live and work there in the future.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 94
06 January 2013 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
I only start learning a language when I can't resist. That's why I don't really drop them either, though I might slow down of course.

I also find that if I can't start when I really, really want, the motivation is insanely hard to get back. Or even impossible. I STILL haven't been able to recover it for German (no classes, back at 11 or so) and Karelian (no Finnish-based resources).

OMG, it's so ironical that I used to want German classes so badly, but I've never been able to enjoy them and I can't wait till I no longer need to take them!

sammymcgoff
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4160 days ago

40 posts - 43 votes
Studies: Polish

Message 60 of 94
06 January 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I cannot resist Lithuanian for some odd reason. Might start learning once I've become fluent enough in Polish. Not sure if there's any resources on it though.

aodhanc
Diglot
Groupie
Iceland
Joined 6057 days ago

92 posts - 130 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish

Message 61 of 94
06 January 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
French in Québec.

It's a mircale that the language has survived there for so long against all at the odds,
and is now strong and vibrant.

It's one of the few places in the world where a language is holding its own against the
dominance of English.

4 persons have voted this message useful

Light
Canada
Joined 4222 days ago

30 posts - 42 votes
Studies: French

Message 62 of 94
06 January 2013 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Romanian, Russian, and Japanese are languages I have an affinity towards, but I'm
resisting them in the meantime as I learn French. French has more application as I'm
Canadian: I've had exposure to it in school, and I know I will visit Quebec someday. I
can't resist learning it. I enjoyed it in highschool, but only took one course there
(twice, since I failed the first time - did much better second time around because I
did actually learn something the first time; I just didn't go to class enough) and I
never saw the point in studying on my own. Later, I came to see a lot of use in
learning the language, but it didn't stick. This time around I've had limited exposure
since picking it up, but I keep coming back. I've also dropped some cash into it, so
I'll be reminded of what a waste of money it would be if I stop learning. Probably not
the smartest choice for everyone, but I have so much confidence that I can and will
learn the language. All I have to do is "show up" and I will learn it.

I've also bought a Living Language Russian beginners course on impulse, but haven't
studied it past the alphabet (I never allowed myself to): I'm not ready for Russian
yet, but one day I will be - I just don't know if I should go for that or Romanian
next. As for Japanese, I'm not 100% sure I will ever tackle it to fluency, but I did
enjoy the little time that I spent with it in the past.

IlonaS
Bilingual Diglot
Russian Federation
Joined 3720 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: Russian*, Estonian*
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, French, English

Message 63 of 94
03 March 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Chinese.
Chinese language sounds like the chirping of birds for me.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3789 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 
Studies: French

Message 64 of 94
03 March 2014 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
For me it is Spanish. I have always had an interest in Latin America. I grew up in the northeast United States. When I was very young I had a shortwave radio and loved to listen to Spanish radio from South America. On a cold winter night I would daydream about being in some warm, tropical country.

-Tomás José

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version