94 messages over 12 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 11 12 Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4656 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 9 of 94
20 August 2011 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
I think we rather cannot resist the things connected with these languages than language alone ;) I doubt I'd be so interested in Croatian if not the Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian music...

Edited by prz_ on 20 August 2011 at 8:59pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6267 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 10 of 94
20 August 2011 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
I think we rather cannot resist the things connected with these languages
than language alone ;) I doubt I'd be so interested in Croatian if not the
Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian music...

No, for me and Swahili for example, I'm fascinated purely by the language, it's so cute
and awesome. I admit I haven't looked much into Swahili music or culture.

HenryMW
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4971 days ago

125 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, French
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 11 of 94
21 August 2011 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
German. It's a very weird language relative to an English speaker, yet there is still a familiarity because of that Germanic connection.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 13 of 94
21 August 2011 at 6:26am | IP Logged 
Korean. I just love the way modulation works in it. Usually I find foreign accents in most languages fascinating to listen to (though I dislike German and English accents that are so strong that they make me think the speaker isn't making any effort), but Korean accents make me wish the person would speak in Korean, because it sounds to me as if the voice was restrained by the other language.

Otherwise, give me agglutination, reduplication of words, few consonant clusters, syllable/mora timing, low contour tones or a pitch accent and I'll be happy.

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4833 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 14 of 94
21 August 2011 at 6:36am | IP Logged 
Turkish has unexpectedly captivated me. A few years ago I asked an acquaintance her
motivation for learning Turkish, only half listening to her lengthy and impassioned
response because of course I was never going to learn that language!

And now I find myself fascinated by the look and sound of the language and the culture of
its speakers. Go figure. I'll be sure to pay more attention next time I swap language
stories, since like as not they'll prefigure my next linguistic pursuit...
2 persons have voted this message useful

JLA
Triglot
France
Joined 4694 days ago

25 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: French*, English, German
Studies: Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 15 of 94
21 August 2011 at 10:06am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
I think we rather cannot resist the things connected with these languages than language alone ;) I doubt I'd be so interested in Croatian if not the Croatian/Bosnian/Serbian music...

I must say, that for me too, it started with the music and some Russian songs I heard. No other music had ever carried so much emotion for me (afterwards,I discovered the Yiddish world and something very similar happened, probably the reason why Yiddish is also in my "to learn list" - here, knowing German [and probably also Russian to some extent] should help).

But yes, if the art produced by a community reflects its soul (and it most certainly does), then songs (and heard poetry) are probably play the same role as the eyes and the smile would play on a human face and are probably the most susceptible to conquer our hearts.

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5837 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 16 of 94
21 August 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Vietnamese I love listening to the language in everday speech and when it is sung. It just has a natural lyrical quality and it has a beautiful way of flowing.

This discussion contains 94 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version